Thank God For Finland! - Part 2

Albie

Keeping an open eye on the Weeping Angels.
Yeap. They did it again in Eurovision. Finland once again decided to enter a Hard Rock/Metal act as their entry this year - but it failed almost as bad as the UK's entry. This time, they went for a band that was more metallic.

Teräsbetoni - a classic metal band in the mould of Manowar with a slight nod to the Priest. Judge for your selves.

What pissed me off, however, was the postponement of Doctor Who because of the coverage of this event. Damn shame. But at least the voting is predictable - and amusing at the same time - it makes for good TV. :D

I've said it before, it's about time the UK stopped trying to send an entry they think will win. Send a complete joke act that is geared up to get 0 points - next year and every year from then on. No UK act will ever win again.

Well, the reference to Manowar is there I guess - and that means they're cheesy as fuck  :D No, honestly, for an ESC song this wasn't bad at all. I didn't watch it this year, but I noticed the Norwegian song did quite well (5th or so). I watched part of it last year, I remember, and the most interesting part of it was the entertainment between the performers and the voting. They had hired Apocalyptica ...

By the way, Finnish is one awkward language ...

Every time this happens, my girlfriend tells me all about this, and that, and this metal group.  And really, I go...urgh.

Eurovision sucks.

Cheese is most certainly on the menu, EW. And LC, Eurovision is indeed dire (apart from the voting), but hats of to the Fins for putting in something that was not the run of the mill.

"Very manly", said Terry Wogan. :D

Eurovision == piece of shit. 3 minute commercial bullshit songs with "i love you, you don't love me, tralalala" lyrics, uninventive cheesy music, stupid stage performance and all about the benjamins.

Music that i listen to, metal music that i like, is completely opposite to all the stuff written above. Therefore, i hate to see some band trying to do "hard rocking" on the ESC. They could be death metal drop-d chopping and growling all over the place, once they hit that stage they become pop music.

Thank you and good night.

Teräsbetoni is a Finnish True Metal institution that has been around since 2003. They may not be the best band in the world, but they are hardly pop music. Their performance in the Grand Prix was very different from every other one, and they got punished for that with a low rating.

I don't think anyone on this forum would really take Eurovision so seriously so your ranting might fall on the wrong audience Zare. ;)

I watched Eurovision quite willingly this time, because you usually get a good laugh out of some.  Last year had some funnier ones though, this year wasn't so interesting.

Perun said:
They may not be the best band in the world......
I'll second that. Neither are they the most original, but I must admit to having a slight delicate nod in time to their music while watching more of their stuff on Youtube.

I'm not in any rush to go out and buy their stuff though.

And to be honest, they were the best Grand Prix entry ever, bar none. ;)

Eddies Wingman said:
By the way, Finnish is one awkward language ...

Finnish is my favourite language. I don't understand a word of it, but I love the way it sounds.

I didn't watch a minute of Eurovision this year. In fact, for the first time ever I haven't even heard Sweden's entry.

Perun said:
But the chicks were hotter than last time.

I can't comment on the general chick rating, as I didn't watch ESC this year, but I've seen the one we sent, and she doesn't look half bad  :D

I don't exactly fume over the fact that most (if not all) songs in ESC are rubbish. After all, it is just another TV show ... with crappy music and people in weird costumes. Dare I say a freak show? Circus for the people  :)

Zare said:
Eurovision == piece of shit. 3 minute commercial bullshit songs with "i love you, you don't love me, tralalala" lyrics, uninventive cheesy music, stupid stage performance and all about the benjamins.

Music that i listen to, metal music that i like, is completely opposite to all the stuff written above. Therefore, i hate to see some band trying to do "hard rocking" on the ESC. They could be death metal drop-d chopping and growling all over the place, once they hit that stage they become pop music.

I suppose you're entitled to your opinion, but I think it's incredibly closed-minded. (Note that I am referring here to pop music in general, not Eurovision specifically, as I've never seen Eurovision.) There have been many great pop music songs over the years. Hundreds. It sounds to me like you're dismissing the entire genre, and I think that's a bad idea. Many pop songs have great melodies, and (admitted, less often) interesting chord progressions or song structures. Just because a song is 3 minutes long and aimed at making teenage girls dance doesn't mean it can't be inventive.

As to "all about the Benjamins" - first, Ben Franklin was a great man. Show some respect and capitalize his name. :bigsmile:
Second, one way to make money in the music business is to make great music. So the pursuit of commercial success should not be entirely dismissed, as it sometimes yields great songs. Granted, such events are much rarer than when artists play what's in their soul for its own sake, but it does happen. You're more likely to see such things if you give pop music a chance.

Let me provide one specific example. If you've never heard of Lou Pearlman, he was the fat bastard behind the boy band craze of the late 90s. Read this for more - he really was a slimy bastard, as the article tells, and he's now been sentenced to 30 years in jail for his slimy deeds. If you do read that, you'll see he was all about the money and nothing else. (OK, also molesting the boys in his bands, but certainly he didn't care about the music.)

And yet, one of his bands - the Backstreet Boys - had massive success with a song called "I Want It That Way". I personally think the song is terrible, but I've read many "best pop songs of the 90s" lists which place this song at or near the top. Millions of people love it as a song - not because of the group who sang it, but because they like the lyrics and melody. I'm not saying good music should be entirely decided by popular vote, but when millions of people love a song, you have to think the songwriters and singers did something right.

And how does a metal band suddenly become a pop band because they appear on the same stage as pop bands? That's the kind of ignorant attitude that suggests you'll take any any excuse to call any band a sell-out. It's not selling out when a band seeks wider exposure or greater financial success. Musicians have to make money like anyone else, and they want to make a lot of money if they can. It ONLY becomes selling out when a band abandons their preferred style of music to achieve this goal.

An example of a legitimate sell-out: Def Leppard's 1996 album, Slang. They tried to sound more like grunge and failed miserably. They recovered from this error by going back to their own sound and style on their next album, but Slang was a genuine sell-out. A metal band in a pop contest doesn't even compare to something like that.

There's nothing wrong with making money. There's nothing wrong with being rich and famous if you can get it. Money is not the root of all evil. That's one of the worst misquotes from the Bible that you can hear people repeat. Timothy 6:10, KJV: "The love of money is the root of all evil". When you sell out your principles for money, that's wrong. Seeking money and fame while holding true to your values is perfectly fine.

Zare said:

That's the dumbest thing I've read all year... Don't worry, it's not even half over, so it might be topped.

Back