Synth metal?

• Thread starter Deleted member 7164
  • Start date
No. The synths play a very minor role on the album and none in the songwriting. The only really noteworthy uses of a synth are in the intro to CSIT and the instrumentals in Sea of Madness. I think the preconception of it being a "synth album" comes from the fact that a synth is the first thing you hear on it, and people are too dumb to actually listen beyond that.

Exactly.

I think action on wiki needs to be done. Also this synth-metal genre is nonsense. Article goes from Bon Jovi to Rammstein in 5 sentences.

A thought: How about a joint Maidenfans Wikipedia account?

No such a thing as synth metal. There's certainly metal that has synths in it, but anything that only has synths would not be metal.

A thought: How about a joint Maidenfans Wikipedia account?

That would be good.

However what happens if we run into some horsehead moderator there who doesn't want to play nice? Maybe additional real accounts in discussion there would help.

No such a thing as synth metal. There's certainly metal that has synths in it, but anything that only has synths would not be metal.

Yeah...the whole thing is ripe to be deleted.

However what happens if we run into some horsehead moderator there who doesn't want to play nice? Maybe additional real accounts in discussion there would help.

I dunno how this works. Maybe we can have a thread here where we jointly discuss edits and link moderators there to it? Anyway, I'm not really familiar with the Wiki articles on Maiden, so I don't know what needs to be done, but I also don't have very much time to invest in this currently.

On "Somewhere in Time" wiki-page, if you click the reference link it leads you to an article which never actually mentions the term "synth-metal".
Clickling the link actually leads you to a wiki page which looks like it was done by somebody who had too much time on his hands, but not the same amount of effort.
Putting a heavy-metal album and a pop-song from the 80's with 2 lesser know bands from 3 decades later in the same sentance to define a term looks... amateurish.
Actually, if you look at the references at the bottom of the page, you can notice not a single article mentions synth-metal as a term.

I don't know how Wiki editing goes, but I don't think joint accounts are possible. This doesn't need a big discusion with some mods, maybe just one or two well-written report.

Wikipedia is usually a pretty well run site, but every now and then there are some bizarre decisions by the mods. That synth metal article is ridiculous and should either be removed from the site or heavily reworked. It has few cited sources and none of them are actually a discussion of “synth metal.”

There are two things you can do about it, if you care that much:

1: Edit the article yourself.
2: Report the article to the mods and they will flag it or remove it.

Back