Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Damnation Game

• Iconoclast

• Underworld

• Total voters
This looks like it'll be a Symphony X cabaret tour. Perhaps they'll perform 'The Odyssey' in full minus the title track. Ultimate troll move.

They're also playing a festival in Finland at the end of June so there will be more European shows to be announced. It's a shame they're not one of Iron Maiden's openers. Hopefully I'll manage to see them sometime in the summer.

This looks like it'll be a Symphony X cabaret tour. Perhaps they'll perform 'The Odyssey' in full minus the title track. Ultimate troll move.

They're also playing a festival in Finland at the end of June so there will be more European shows to be announced. It's a shame they're not one of Iron Maiden's openers. Hopefully I'll manage to see them sometime in the summer.

a Symphony X cabaret tour sounds like a dream

That's really what they need at this point, funnily enough. Would love a "career retrospective" type show with something from each album.

Looks like I'll have to check them out in Joliet! I haven't seen them live yet, so I really don't care what they play, but I'm in agreement that a greatest hits type of tour would be ideal.

In further Russell Allen news, according to this Frontiers records trailer he's releasing an album with Anette Olzon (formerly of Nightwish) in 2020:

You can even hear a bit of the song playing for the first 15-20 seconds. Sounds like Allen-Lande, but with Anette, so...I'm in!

I didn't realize that trailer was for every album Frontiers is releasing next year. Until I recognized another band name I thought it was every song title on Russell's album. :facepalm: I'll be interested to listen to this, but I find Annette's vocals quite grating after a while. It's also yet another album from a member of Symphony X which isn't Symphony X. Each of them should write an autobiography and then we'd have some Bruce Dickinson-lites.

And the first Allen-Olzon single is here:

Definitely sounds like Allen-Lande to me, the lyrics are equally lame and the chorus are equally as "uplifting". I don't know. It's fine. It's a nice Russell Allen elevator music performance. Olzon sounds...different, though. More powerful? More belting from her, maybe?

It's fine
This is a fairly accurate description of the song. It's not impressive, but it's not bad either. Nondescript would be another good word for it.

What's frustrating about this project for me is that it's another thing Russell has done which is not Symphony X. Was there any need for this project? Was there any demand for it? I think not. It feels a bit like Russell has a contract with Frontiers to make some music and they paired him up with Annette. For her, the project seems to me like Annette trying to stay relevant in her post-Nightwish life.

The album will be released on 6th March. I'll give it a fair chance as there's potential for some good stuff but I'm not holding my breath.

This is a fairly accurate description of the song. It's not impressive, but it's not bad either. Nondescript would be another good word for it.

What's frustrating about this project for me is that it's another thing Russell has done which is not Symphony X. Was there any need for this project? Was there any demand for it? I think not. It feels a bit like Russell has a contract with Frontiers to make some music and they paired him up with Annette. For her, the project seems to me like Annette trying to stay relevant in her post-Nightwish life.

The album will be released on 6th March. I'll give it a fair chance as there's potential for some good stuff but I'm not holding my breath.

The thing is: Russell can’t make Symphony X music. He has to sit around like everyone else, thumb in butt, until Romeo decides to drop another 60 mins of tunes.

Russell Allen is probably the most obvious “working” singer at his level. Everything he does (except Symphony X) is just a job. Someone offers him a gig, be it a guest spot
on a song, half of an album, a Christmas tour, etc, and if they can meet his quote, he sings it.

It feels like a bit of a waste of his talents to do so many guest slots. He should probably considered among the very best Metal singers but instead functions as a Jack of All Trades.

At least he's not Tim Owens though.

Having been recommended to do so, I listened to Divine Wings Of Tragedy, Twilight In Olympus, V: The New Mythology Suite, and The Odyssey over the course of two days. I was pretty impressed. The music rips, they throw a lot of typically wankery stuff together that typically shouldn't work but does quite a bit. I think the songs will grow on me in time, but I'm already positive about a great deal of them.

Russell Allen sounded like an unapologetic Dio disciple on Wings and Twilight, gave me Sammy Hagar vibes on V, and then melded both to become intensely powerful on The Odyssey. His performance on its title track - which absolutely rules - is terrific.

Was also reading LC's and Knick's reviews while listening, so that was a pretty cool experience as well. All in all, good shit, I will return to listen again.

Mike LePond's Silent Assassin's will be releasing another album at the end of May, entitled 'Whore of Babylon'.

I'll give this a chance. Obviously it's another non-Symphony X release from a member of Symphony X hot on the heels of the insipid 'Worlds Apart' by Russel Allen and Annette Olzon, but I suspect it will be pretty tough for all the guys in Symphony X to be in the same place at the moment. I reckon their North American tour in May will be canned too. One of them had a heart attack a few years ago so might be in the "at risk" category so I hope they're all doing OK considering the circumstances.

Having been recommended to do so, I listened to Divine Wings Of Tragedy, Twilight In Olympus, V: The New Mythology Suite, and The Odyssey over the course of two days. I was pretty impressed. The music rips, they throw a lot of typically wankery stuff together that typically shouldn't work but does quite a bit. I think the songs will grow on me in time, but I'm already positive about a great deal of them.

Russell Allen sounded like an unapologetic Dio disciple on Wings and Twilight, gave me Sammy Hagar vibes on V, and then melded both to become intensely powerful on The Odyssey. His performance on its title track - which absolutely rules - is terrific.

Was also reading LC's and Knick's reviews while listening, so that was a pretty cool experience as well. All in all, good shit, I will return to listen again.

Glad you finally got around to listening! If you liked those albums on the original listen you’ll probably end up loving them.

Definitely agree about Russell coming into his own vocal tone, though I still prefer the lightness in the melodies on those earlier releases.

Actually just listened to V yesterday and I’m always amazed by how beautiful the whole thing is. The Odyssey is my favorite album, but V is truly a masterpiece.

Love This band up to The Odessey. After that.... what a pile of meh. Paradise Lost is boring and don't know what to make of Iconoclast. But I can listen to V, Odessey and Twilight any time.

Love This band up to The Odessey. After that.... what a pile of meh. Paradise Lost is boring and don't know what to make of Iconoclast. But I can listen to V, Odessey and Twilight any time.

PL is great, but definitely more straightforward. Iconoclast is boring as hell. Underworld is somewhere between the two.

Back