Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Damnation Game

• Iconoclast

• Underworld

• Total voters
I just saw Symphony X last night for the first time. Quite a good show I would say, the band (Mr. Allen in particular) were seemingly in a great mood and also in a great form performance-wise. Seriously, I don't think I've ever seen a vocalist nail the fuck out of their decades-old songs in that manner. The show included a lot of banter and (a bit too much) crowd participation, they could've easily played a few more songs instead. Also, the encore break was around 15 minutes long, I was about to fall asleep lol.

I was pleasantly surprised to see how into it the audience was even with the newer material. I think opening with Iconoclast is not a good move at all, but whatever. Inferno was the third song of the show, it probably should've been the opener given how nuts the crowd went during it. Without You was another highlight as well as Evolution. The cons of the show were, well, the fact that 8 out of the 12 songs were from the last three albums. I think most would agree that Iconoclast and To Hell and Back are not their best 10-minute tracks. I also don't really see how Underworld is relevant enough in 2024 to get four spots in that short of a setlist but whatever. The stage lighting sucked balls, I couldn't see Lepond and Pinnella for the whole show. Good thing I at least spotted a Lepond lookalike on my train while going to the show...

And last but not least, Russell promised that a new album would be coming out sometime in 2025. Pretty exciting. He also said that Symphony X would never take another long break from touring or recording until their "wheels fucking fall off". I got the impression that he was being serious but we shall see.

I just saw Symphony X last night for the first time. Quite a good show I would say, the band (Mr. Allen in particular) were seemingly in a great mood and also in a great form performance-wise. Seriously, I don't think I've ever seen a vocalist nail the fuck out of their decades-old songs in that manner. The show included a lot of banter and (a bit too much) crowd participation, they could've easily played a few more songs instead. Also, the encore break was around 15 minutes long, I was about to fall asleep lol.

I was pleasantly surprised to see how into it the audience was even with the newer material. I think opening with Iconoclast is not a good move at all, but whatever. Inferno was the third song of the show, it probably should've been the opener given how nuts the crowd went during it. Without You was another highlight as well as Evolution. The cons of the show were, well, the fact that 8 out of the 12 songs were from the last three albums. I think most would agree that Iconoclast and To Hell and Back are not their best 10-minute tracks. I also don't really see how Underworld is relevant enough in 2024 to get four spots in that short of a setlist but whatever. The stage lighting sucked balls, I couldn't see Lepond and Pinnella for the whole show. Good thing I at least spotted a Lepond lookalike on my train while going to the show...

And last but not least, Russell promised that a new album would be coming out sometime in 2025. Pretty exciting. He also said that Symphony X would never take another long break from touring or recording until their "wheels fucking fall off". I got the impression that he was being serious but we shall see.

I checked the setlist, what I'd make of it.
You know, it's funny, I'm mostly the prog + neoclassical / power bloke and yet my favourite album is probably Paradise Lost (along with Odyssey) and I genuinely like Iconoclast more than most ... and yet I find the setlists absolutely baffling. Like, even concentrating on these last three albums, I definitely wouldn't pick what they picked. I'd still enjoy the concert, 100%, but still...

1. Set the World on Fire
2. Underworld
3. Eve of Seduction
4. Dehumanized
5. Children of a Faceless God
6. Revelation / Walls of Babylon
7. Fallen
8. Charon
9. The Accolade (1 or 2)
10. Inferno

Encore:
11. Paradise Lost
12. Out of the Ashes
13. Legend

I checked the setlist, what I'd make of it.
You know, it's funny, I'm mostly the prog + neoclassical / power bloke and yet my favourite album is probably Paradise Lost (along with Odyssey) and I genuinely like Iconoclast more than most ... and yet I find the setlists absolutely baffling. Like, even concentrating on these last three albums, I definitely wouldn't pick what they picked. I'd still enjoy the concert, 100%, but still...

1. Set the World on Fire
2. Underworld
3. Eve of Seduction
4. Dehumanized
5. Children of a Faceless God
6. Revelation / Walls of Babylon
7. Fallen
8. Charon
9. The Accolade (1 or 2)
10. Inferno

Encore:
11. Paradise Lost
12. Out of the Ashes
13. Legend
Right, I don't get how they play four from Underworld and somehow still leave the great title track out, lol. Eve of Seduction is one that I'd like to see too.

Glad you got to see them and witness Russell’s power live! He’s always incredible.

Their setlists have been disappointingly stale for over a decade and it’s maddening. I love them to death, but I’m honestly at the “not rushing to buy tickets” phase.

The biggest head scratcher is their insistence on playing Run With The Devil at every gig (and extending it with stupid band intros). It’s an ok song, but it’s a deep cut, it sounds nothing like most SX songs, and IMO it’s just not that great live. Insane that they play that tune and skip other Underworld songs like the title track, Kiss of Fire, and Legend (which all killed live back on the album tour).

The biggest head scratcher is their insistence on playing Run With The Devil at every gig (and extending it with stupid band intros). It’s an ok song, but it’s a deep cut, it sounds nothing like most SX songs, and IMO it’s just not that great live. Insane that they play that tune and skip other Underworld songs like the title track, Kiss of Fire, and Legend (which all killed live back on the album tour).

Yeah, that's absolutely baffling. I'm just imagining Maiden taking Chains of Misery and going out of their way to play that one at every concert.

This is my semi-realistic* Symphony X set:

01. Underworld
02. Domination
03. Church of the Machine
04. Heretic
05. Rediscovery
06. Kiss of Fire
07. Reign in Madness
08. Accolade II
09. The Walls of Babylon
10. King of Terrors
11. Legend

12. The Divine Wings of Tragedy

*A set that actually has post-Odyssey stuff

01. Underworld
02. Domination
04. Heretic
05. Rediscovery
06. Kiss of Fire
07. Reign in Madness
08. Accolade II
09. The Walls of Babylon
10. King of Terrors
11. Legend

*A set that actually has post-Odyssey stuff
This would be amazing. Let me edit it, though, to the songs they actually might ever play again...

01. Underworld
02. Domination

04. Heretic
05. Rediscovery

06. Kiss of Fire
07. Reign in Madness
08. Accolade II
09. The Walls of Babylon
10. King of Terrors

11. Legend

You guys make good points re: Underworld. They are acting like they are still on tour promoting this album yet it's almost a decade old. Knick is right - at this point continuing to play Run With the Devil is basically akin to any other deep cut. At this point I would actually prefer if they dropped an Underworld song or two and replaced it with something else on Paradise Lost (a far superior record) or even Iconoclast. If they want to ignore their pre-Paradise Lost material, at least distribute things more evenly across the three albums. Using last night's show as a template:

Iconoclast
Nevermore
Inferno
Serpent's Kiss
Electric Messiah
To Hell and Back
Accolade II
Set the World on Fire

Paradise Lost
Out of the Ashes
Sea of Lies

Only two changes but it makes a big difference imo.

Back