Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Damnation Game

• Iconoclast

• Underworld

• Total voters
Explain to me how it makes more sense to stop in Des Moines than in Minneapolis. Geez...

This probably seals the deal on no more Symphony X albums. If they couldn't get it together during COVID or in between two North American tours in a row I don't know when they will have better opportunities.

And would that really be a bad thing? The last good album was the Odyssey, after that from uneven at best to flat and uninspired at worst. The last one I purchased was Iconoclast and it was so blah I've pretty much ignored them since.

The last good album was the Odyssey, after that from uneven at best to flat and uninspired at worst.
Paradise Lost is a great album from top to bottom! I think it is pretty much a link between their classic sound with more of the heavier stuff in the later two albums.

BTW, why are Paradise Lost, Iconoclast and Underworld not on Spotify? :huh:

Cuz they suck. lol.

I don't know, but there are a couple of songs from Paradise Lost I like, the opener is a banger, but aside from that it's fairly uneven and meh.

Paradise Lost is a great album from top to bottom! I think it is pretty much a link between their classic sound with more of the heavier stuff in the later two albums.

It's a regional thing, mine was missing those 3 and maybe Twilight in Olympus until like 2 years ago.

Cuz they suck. lol.

I don't know, but there are a couple of songs from Paradise Lost I like, the opener is a banger, but aside from that it's fairly uneven and meh.
Underworld is fairly great all the way through with Legend and Charon being discography highlights. I'd say it's better than PL except the production sounds weird to me. Both of them are below the previous albums but mostly because Allen's tough vocals are ridiculous.

Iconoclast really is vomit inducing.

I don't rank Iconoclast that highly myself but what exactly is so bad about it? I've seen a lot of people love that record elsewhere.

I don't rank Iconoclast that highly myself but what exactly is so bad about it? I've seen a lot of people love that record elsewhere.

People also love Bad Bunny... so, different strokes for different folks. To be fair, I haven't listened to it in decades, might be worth a second listen. If doing my recent trip through DT's discography has taught me anything it's that I may be kinder to these albums than when I first listened to them.

People also love Bad Bunny... so, different strokes for different folks. To be fair, I haven't listened to it in decades, might be worth a second listen. If doing my recent trip through DT's discography has taught me anything it's that I may be kinder to these albums than when I first listened to them.
Yeah, the album has a couple of major highlights in The End of Innocence and When All Is Lost but most of the rest blends in together. The musicianship and production are certainly top notch though.

The musicianship and production are certainly top notch though.
That's what frustrates me about Symphony X. They're all top notch musicians, their talent is unquestioned. However, they BORE me. I've heard this criticism about DT from some folks and it puzzled me. DT has never bored me, I've always found them challenging, even the albums I don't/didn't enjoy. But with Symphony X, especially these two albums, Paradise Lost and Iconoclast, I found myself bored to tears on several occasions. Again, that may change. I can't find my Paradise Lost CD (along with other SX and other bands' cds), but I do have my Iconoclast one. Might put in in my Discman next week.

That's what frustrates me about Symphony X. They're all top notch musicians, their talent is unquestioned. However, they BORE me. I've heard this criticism about DT from some folks and it puzzled me. DT has never bored me, I've always found them challenging, even the albums I don't/didn't enjoy. But with Symphony X, especially these two albums, Paradise Lost and Iconoclast, I found myself bored to tears on several occasions. Again, that may change.
Yeah I agree completely, I usually just stick to the songs I like the most from SX, which are scattered pretty evenly across the catalog (other than the first two albums that I don't really care about whatsoever). Most of the full albums get too samey once you get to the end of them, imo.

It's all the same - heavy, riffs, 100% guitar driven, and Russell really leans way too hard into his "tough" voice. It's also way too long and has at least 2-4 songs that should have been left as B-sides at best.

That said, I actually think it contains some of Russell's best vocal melody writing.

I think the issue for most fans is that it just continued to strip away the "magical" feeling that those classic Symphony albums had (re: heavily piano and keyboard driven).

Back