GAMES DISCUSSION - submissions welcome!

Opeth referendum?

• Total voters
The current Adrian one hasn't moved forward for a while. If @Zare had no objection, there wouldn't be any clash running a Maiden Members Not Doing Maiden survivor, as Foro suggests. Small teams or resident 'experts' shortlisting material would make the actual survivor more manageable too. I'd lean towards having no Bruce solo stuff as well, it makes the game more about the music that gets slightly less exposure and discussion.

Eh, my personal philosophy is that I either go in fully (all songs) or nothing :p I can give you stats from previous Survivors though.
When we did a tournament of guitar solos, epic songs, instrumentals and others. Never did them all. We started with selections.

Eh, my personal philosophy is that I either go in fully (all songs) or nothing :p .
This is still my opinion on it too.

@Forostar okay so maybe the first suggestion of mine was too much, and this one probably is too, but... what if we were to do each of them in separate survivors (one for Bruce, one for Blaze, one for BL, etc.) and then take the Top 10 songs from each and put them in another survivor and then move on and do something like you're suggesting? It'd still be a lot, but it'd also be easier to keep track of.

This is still my opinion on it too.

@Forostar okay so maybe the first suggestion of mine was too much, and this one probably is too, but... what if we were to do each of them in separate survivors (one for Bruce, one for Blaze, one for BL, etc.) and then take the Top 10 songs from each and put them in another survivor and then move on and do something like you're suggesting? It'd still be a lot, but it'd also be easier to keep track of.
The problem of doing everything all these members were involved in is really doing large sums of quantity. The songs that might stand out are getting drowned because of the quantity. Not all people have the patience to sit it through, doing all Pat Travers with Nicko, all songs Di'Anno, Stratton or Burr ever did.
Small teams or resident 'experts' shortlisting material would make the actual survivor more manageable too.
Indeed. On the selecting process itself: let the 'experts' (or interested people who know the material) prepare the quantity and come up with the songs they deem worthy of the game. Others can still add material if they think there's an omission that should be considered.

When playing the game, the advantage of introducing the songs by different artists in the tournament and not before in their own little tournaments, is that they can be heard with the same eagerness, the songs have the same freshness and focus. Because it's not just about a song, it's about a battle between songs which might have never occurred before. It's easier, it's more focused. Everyone will hear every song equally often.

When doing one hundred Di'Anno songs I don't think more than a handful are eager to play it all. You can always listen to everything yourself Diesel, if you like. But don't expect that from others. It's not realistic, and there are disadvantages, even if it happens.

Last edited:
Regarding Priest, I’ve been listening to Redeemer of Souls and working my way backwards. They have so many albums!

Funny story - on Sunday, @MrKnickerbocker and I were at the Sons of Apollo show in Joliet and before the show they played Victim of Changes over the PA. The dude next to us was losing it and just kept yelling “Priest!” Then they immediately played Victim of Changes AGAIN and we were all laughing. We were joking that the band should totally open with Victim of Changes.

Priest survivor is long overdue. There was supposed to be one when Redeemer came out.

I think the last one was right before Redeemer came out, could be wrong though.

Last one was in 2015, look at the Schedule thread instead :p

Anyway, should we start the Survivor with the early stuff now (and it'll be months before the new album appears in the game), or wait and start with the new album and go backwards?

Let's wait, for purely selfish reasons. I would like to take part, but I don't think I can manage Cheese, Priest, Iced Earth and Chris Cornell at the same time.

Back