Supergenius (SMX's band) performs PASCHENDALE ! ! !

SinisterMinisterX

Illuminatus
Staff member
If you're looking for "Paschendale", it's down the thread a bit ... click here.

The Chronicles of Supergenius, Part I
October 3, 2007

Most files removed from my website on October 25, but some remain available...

Keep in mind:
1. Guitar is panned to the right and bass to the left, just like on The Who's Live At Leeds; is there any better example to follow?
2. There are a few seconds of silence and/or irrelevant noise at the start of most of these clips (or even false starts), so have patience.

Remedy (Black Crowes cover)
Remember Tomorrow (Iron Maiden cover)
The Supergenius Funk (Supergenius original, instrumental)
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You (Led Zeppelin cover)
Losing My Mind (Supergenius original)
Naked Eye (The Who cover)
This Is My Fish (Supergenius original)

Supergenius is:
Paul "SinisterMinisterX" Armstrong, lead vocals and bass
Don "Funk49" Campbell, guitar
Tom "bigtomc" Collings, drums

Re: Supergenius (SMX's band)

Listened to stagefright and remember tomorrow quite good good nickname for your guitarist

SD93 said:
...quite good good nickname for your guitarist

Don plays a Paul Reed Smith guitar, and for the past couple of years he's had string-breakage problems. He finally traced it down to the saddles in his bridge, and tried several thing to fix the existing saddles. Every time, the fix seemed to work ... only for the breakage to resume a couple months down the road. Finally - and recently - Don managed to get all-new saddles installed from PRS (instead of fixing the old ones again), and the new saddles seem to be working.

Are you going to do that song you sent me a while ago - "Your Madness"? I liked that one a lot.

I listened to "This is My Fish", "Remember Tomorrow" and "Bastille Day" - some pretty cool stuff there. The guitar playing in the first one had a nice energetic tone to it. I thought your voice sounded a bit strained in the latter, but the music was nicely done.

My voice was indeed strained on "Bastille Day", as that was the last song of a 16-song set.

It is unlikely that we'll ever play "Your Madness" again ... although I could mention it to the other guys and see if they're interested.

Or that song about song, "this is the first verse of this song, I'll try not to make it long" or something like that :D I'll listen to these tomorrow at work though

Ah yes. The title of that song is "Title Of This Song". Not everything I write is a winner. I liked that one; I thought the lyrics were clever ... but the other guys weren't interested in it. Later today, I'll post the words in the lyrics thread so others can voice their opinion.

As for Supergenius, there are some bits of news:

1. We jammed last night, and (again) played a whole bunch of new (to us) songs ... including Paschendale! It was really, really rough. I intend to mix it and post it here tonight, but some advance warning: don't expect it to sound as good as Maiden. We only have one guitar, and it's a very difficult song to play. Despite the roughness, I think it wasn't too bad for a first attempt. We're going to give it another shot at our next jam on November 14.

2. We're considering a name change, although we'll likely pick another name from a Bugs Bunny cartoon. The leading candidates right now are Shaddap Shaddin' Ap and Space Modulator.

But Supergenius is cool! Space Modulator is awesome though. That's a classic Bugs Bunny cartoon! Marvin the Martian rocks!

I vote for Space Modulator  :ok:

The Chronicles of Supergenius, Part II
October 17, 2007

Sorry it took me so long to get these posted, but here's the good bits from our jam last week. Overall, it wasn't a great jam - sloppy all over. But live music is about honesty, so these are presented warts and all.

Keep in mind:
1. Guitar is panned to the right and bass to the left, just like on The Who's Live At Leeds; is there any better example to follow?
2. There are a few seconds of silence and/or irrelevant noise at the start of most of these clips (or even false starts), so have patience.

Let's get straight to the big bad king of all rock songs:
Paschendale (Iron Maiden cover)
I wouldn't call this a complete disaster, but it was very far from what I know we can do. Thus, we have resolved to give it another shot next time we jam (sometime in 2008). So please remember, this was the very first time we were attempting a very difficult song.

All Along The Watchtower (Jimi Hendrix cover)
This was the first song of the night, so just a touch rough as we were warming up, but otherwise not bad.

Rebel Yell (Billy Idol cover)
Our first-ever performance of this song. I thought it was rough at the time, but upon hearing the recording it wasn't that bad at all.

The Hellion / Electric Eye (Judas Priest cover)
Our first-ever performance of this song. Like above, it sounded better than I thought at the time. I was headbanging during the guitar solo - so hard my glasses flew off my face at the end of the solo. That's why the end is uncoordinated; I was playing blind! (Yes, blind. My eyesight is that bad.)

Bastille Day (Rush cover)
I posted our first try at this song last time. This second try is much better. My voice wasn't worn out, and we played it at a saner tempo.

Again (Supergenius original)
This one developed out of an improvised jam a few years ago. Our drummer thinks it sounds like Oasis. I've only heard a couple Oasis songs, so I don't really know.

Glorified G (Pearl Jam cover)
Our first-ever performance of this song, and we knocked the fucker out of the park ... once we figured out the drum intro.

No No No (Deep Purple cover)
Our first-ever performance of this song. It's a deceptively tricky little number, but a lot of fun to play.

Mystery (Supergenius original)
One of the best songs I've ever written, and a damn good performance of it.

Wasted (Def Leppard cover)
Our first-ever performance of this song. I had to throw some genuine NWOBHM at ya - not that pop-metal stuff Leppard did later.

War Pigs (Black Sabbath cover)
This is slowly becoming one of our favorite songs to play. OH FUCK ME!

Rock Me (Steppenwolf cover)
Our first-ever performance of this song. It's time to start with the solo showcases. First up, drummer Tom Collings plays a great solo in this song. Pardon the false start as I educate our guitarist on the correct chords.

One Way Out (Allman Brothers cover)
Our first-ever performance of this song. My solo showcase is the vocal cadenza at the end.

Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) (Jimi Hendrix cover)
Our first-ever performance of this song. Don Campbell's showcase. (He gets one too? He gets a guitar solo in every damn song!) A lesson here for young musicians: sometimes, less is more. The reason this came out so good is because the drummer and I kept it simple to let Don shine.

Dreams (Molly Hatchet cover)
Another favorite of ours. We can't get enough of songs with loooong guitar solos.

Illuminati (Supergenius original)
Last song of the night; we always use this one to empty the tank. No point stopping the jam until you've used up all your energy. This version, at eleven minutes long, is actually shorter than usual; this song is usually around 15 minutes. They put too much sauerkraut on my hot dog!

Supergenius is:
Paul "SinisterMinisterX" Armstrong, lead vocals and bass
Don "Funk49" Campbell, guitar
Tom "bigtomc" Collings, drums

He has joined this forum, so his nickname now matches his forum username ... although as Funk49, he hasn't posted anything here yet.

Good stuff, again.  Listening to Paschendale right now.  It isn't perfect technically, but it's very good, and I liked your interpretation of it (especially with only one guitar).  How much did you have to alter it to suit a single guitar?

Edit: Listened to some other stuff too.  Rebel Yell, Electric Eye, War Pigs, and Illuminati were really good too.

In terms of "altering Paschendale for one guitar" - for exact details, you'd have to ask our guitarist. He made the choices about what to play and what to omit. But generally speaking, he played the basic chords for each riff, rather than the extra details like doubling of parts one octave higher. It's very tough reducing 3 guitar parts (plus keyboards) to one guitar, but Don did a great job of choosing what to play.

Back