Stupid song interpretations

A

Anonymous

One thing I've always liked was interpreting lyrics in a way nobody would expect them. The interpretations are totally absurd, but make sense. It started out as an act of rebellion, if you want to put it that way, against my German class, in which we were supposed to interpret poems and texts, but there was only one "correct" way. But to me, it was fun finding other ways.
So, everybody thinks "The Trooper" is about the Crimean War? The Charge Of The Light Brigade? No way. It's about an unfortunate gambler. Observe:

You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through

Many people risk everything at the table; their entire lives can change with one game of Black Jack

So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand, there's no turning back

Everybody knows the words of the roulette table: Rien ne va plus

The bugle sounds and the charge begins
But on this battlefield no one wins

The game begins, and in the end, nobody won

The smell of acrid smoke and horses breath
As I plunge on into certain death.

Now the gambler thinks about betting on horses, and chooses one which has absolute no chance of winning a race.

The horse he sweats with fear we break to run

The horse race takes place, and the gambler loses. He can't pay his debt and runs away

The mighty roar of the Russian guns

The last possibility: Russian Roulette. The loser dies, the winner gets everything. Nothing is shared.

And as we race towards the human wall

A circle of 'players' who play Russian Roulette

The screams of pain as my comrades fall

Many game turns, and many die

We hurdle bodies that lay on the ground
And the Russians fire another round
We get so near yet so far away
We won't live to fight another day.

The game continues and the gambler watches. It is an intense experience. He is afraid of dying, but his honour forbids him to flee.

We get so close near enough to fight
When a Russian gets me in his sights
He pulls the trigger and I feel the blow
A burst of rounds take my horse below.

It is now his turn. His partner pulls the trigger and dies. The gambler is very touched by this experience. He is insecure. He has lost his "horse", his security. Nothing can carry him now. He becomes a psychological wreck.

And as I lay there gazing at the sky
My body's numb and my throat is dry
And as I lay forgotten and alone
Without a tear I draw my parting groan

In the end, the gambler becomes an alcoholic who lies in the streets until his death, forgotten and alone.

So, what do you think? I'll post some more if there is demand, and I'd love to read others.
Keep in mind that this is just for fun.

This belongs to the Madness Forum, don't you think? [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]
That is quite a strange interpretation of those lyrics. I suppose that can be done with any song but some of the interpretations don't really fit with those lyrics.

Maybe I'll post some stupid interpretations of my own. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

All right Perun, you've got me half-convinced. Now all you need to do is show how "The Angel And The Gambler" is really about the Crimean War. [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Jun 28 2004, 09:42 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Jun 28 2004, 09:42 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] All right Perun, you've got me half-convinced. Now all you need to do is show how "The Angel And The Gambler" is really about the Crimean War. [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [/quote]
Nooooo, somethink much more difficult...
Do somethink about powerslave or clairvoyant...
For example prove that Powerslave are in fact about kennedy!!

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]For example prove that Powerslave are in fact about kennedy!![/quote]

Hah! A tough one! Especially because I'm no expert on Kennedy.
But here goes:

Into the abyss I'll fall - the eye of Horus
Into the eyes of the night - watching me go

JFK is shot in his car by Lee Harvey Oswald.

In Egyptian mythology, Horus was originally one of many falcon gods, but later became the ultimate Falcon God. "Falcon" is the name given to warmongers. We are most familiar with this expression in the US cabinet. Kennedy is likely to have been murdered by falcons, as he himself was more of a "dove", i.e. of the peaceful fraction.
Horus' goal was to become King of all Egypt. He removed all his opponents by killing them. Horus is a metaphor on the entire conspiracy against Kennedy, as mythological Horus was, in a way, a conspirator.

Green is the cat's eye that glows - in this temple

Kennedy's funeral in a church is being watched by jealous opponents who wished they'd become president or be that popular.

Cats are hunters. The opponents were hunters too. The fastest of them, whoever it was, got to kill Kennedy. The others watch in envy, therefore the "green" eye. This is another possible theory: Kennedy got killed because they were jealous.
Another possible interpretation is the following: Ten years before Kennedy was killed, there was a CIA-backed coup in Iran overthrowing the democratically-elected Prime Minister Mohammed Mossadeg. The US gave their ally, Persian emperor (or Shah) Mohammed Reza Pahlevi full power. Speaking in long terms, this was what triggered the Islamic revolution in the late seventies. Green is the colour of Islam; the cat (lion) was a symbol of power in Achaemenid Persia; it is the most depicted animal on the royal palaces of Persepolis, Susa, Ecbatana etc. The temples here are the mosques. Maybe Kennedy was killed by Shah-supporters because they found out that he no longer wanted to support the Shah. Therefore, this killed all hopes of a new democracy in Iran, and sealed the country's fate: Islam was beginning to gain power. Hence also the fact that Eddie stands before the Iranian flag, of all flags, on the "2 Minutes To Midnight" cover. As we all know, this song is from the "Powerslave" album.

Enter the risen Osiris - risen again

This line is about Kenendy's devotion to win the space race.

The Egyptians thought that the star constellation we know as Orion was in fact the god Osiris.
Kennedy gave a boost to the space race, and therefore also to astronomy- the secrets of "Osiris" were to be revealed, and the exploration of space got big public interest again.

Tell me why I had to be a powerslave
I don't wanna die, I'm a god,
why can't I live on?

Kennedy himself speaks here. First of all, he talks about the fact that being the US president doesn't mean that you have all power in the world: remember the senate, the congress, the cabinet etc. He was killed for something he merely had influence on.
He does not want to die, obviously. He felt himself a god, as he was so popular among the people around the world.

When the Life Giver dies,
all around is laid to waste

Kennedy is said to have saved the world from a nuclear holocaust in the Cuban Crisis- Life Giver, because he allowed new children to be born in the future by saving their parents.
Now there was fear that a new nuclear threat would arise, as the winner was dead.

And in my last hour,
I'm a slave to the power of death

Kennedy was not immediately dead after being shot.

When I was living this lie - fear was my game

"Politics is a game" -Nikita Khrushchev, Premier of the USSR (1953-1964) (i.e. Kennedy's opponent in the Cuban Missile Crisis); this obviously refers to the Cuban Missile Crisis, where everybody feared a nuclear holocaust.

People would worship and fall-drop to their knees

Kennedy was worshipped like a god by some people inside and out of the USA.

So bring me the blood and red wine
for the one to succeed me
For he is a man and a god
and he will die too.

Lyndon B. Johnson, Kennedy's successor, died in 1973.
Maybe this could also refer to Bill Clinton, whom many saw as the new Kennedy. When he became president, some said that the "spirit of Camelot" (JFK and his wife were often referred to as "King and Queen of Camelot) would return to the White House.

Now I am cold but a ghost lives in my veins

In the hearts of many, Kennedy lives on.

Silent the terror that reigned - maarbled in stone

Kennedy was responsible for the US engagement in Vietnam.

Shell of a man God preserved - a thousand ages

Again, Kennedy lives on in the hearts of many.

But open the gates of my hell
I will strike from the grave

This could be a retrospect on everything that had happened since Kennedy's death until the time the song was written (1984): Vietnam War, Six Day War, Yom Kippur War, Islamic revolutions around the world, Iran-Iraq war...
It could also be about the bad fate of the Kennedy clan.
Or maybe it meant to say that Kennedy would return in one way or the other... Clinton?

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] This belongs to the Madness Forum, don't you think? [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]  [/quote]

Give it a chance. If this becomes a spam fest, maybe. But it could become interesting.

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] All right Perun, you've got me half-convinced. Now all you need to do is show how "The Angel And The Gambler" is really about the Crimean War. [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--][/quote]

In fact, it is- in a way. It is about Otto von Bismarck's decision on how to act in the Crimean War.

HIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!! [!--emo&:lmao:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
Excellent one, maybe better than the trooper/gambler...
[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]JFK is shot in his car by Lee Harvey Oswald.[/quote]Oswald is just the official scape-goat...

Back