Studio Album #16 - Rumours and Speculation (New Info 27.02.15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's true that they probably don't make much off albums anymore, but that's what touring is for. Piracy isn't necessarily a bad thing, musicians just need to figure out how to adjust with the technology. I think Maiden does a great job with that. They were embracing this stuff back in 2003 when most musicians (i.e. Metallica) had no idea what they were dealing with.

And yea Travis is right. The only thing they could do is just embrace it and stream the album for free and hope that it spurs more people to buy it. Which will probably happen next time, since pretty much every band does that at this point.

It isn't my idea...it's a record company rep I heard a couple of yrs ago...and I really think Maiden are in a great position in today's music industry, since they have made their mark...let me try to put it another way... if Maiden were a new band starting today, I doubt they could receive the same level of support from the record company that it took to put them in the studio and on the road as much as they were from 80-85...record companies just aren't willing to provide the rocket fuel anymore...there are great benefits from the Maiden touring method, but it takes a giant wad of cash to make it happen the way they did...touring to the extent of 80's Maiden proportions is very expensive

That's the thing though. New artists can use the internet as a platform for promoting their music. They don't need record labels anymore really.

I agree the internet is today's platform, it's like 80's Nintendo - bring your controller to your friend's house vs Today's Online gaming -not leaving your house ...I'll admit I'm old school, when I was a kid the fun thing was getting out of the house and visiting my friends, and today I encourage my kids to get out of the house whenever possible...like when I was a kid in the 80's if 2 kids had different band t - shirts like Megadeth on one kid and Metallica on the other kid's shirt they would have a schoolyard fight and it was kinda cool...the kids would shake hands afterward and respect that they both stood up for their heroes...that's just my old school roots, though...today I don't see iconic heroes in music like Maiden, because new artists aren't "larger than life" ....and I just feel the old school approach is what made it all happen, is all

as far as not needing record labels I couldn't disagree more...because classic great albums like NOTB aren't just casually created by bands themselves, they require a great equalizer like Martin Birch (those guys are almost always with record labels) to get the best possible album that will carry on a life of its own...Bruce said "making records with Martin was always very difficult, but they were bloody good." You must have a personal stake in something, going through great difficulty in order to create almost anything worthwhile, in my opinion

Last edited:
Maiden's gonna keep doing what they do until they don't anymore. They have the pedigree, they have the infrastructure, and they have the luxury. New bands, however, are both helped and hindered by the internet. Yes, the probability that someone can hear your music is much higher thanks to the internet, but the probability that they will actually listen (or pay attention) to your music is slimmer than ever.

Got this email from the FC. I am hoping this means news about the new album

============================
Yesterday I had a meeting with Rod, Shacky & Sarah about what’s happening in the Maiden camp & general Fan Club stuff and the upcoming magazines. We've come to the decision that we will delay Issue 99 until Christmas rather than send you a magazine with limited news about the band.

Magazine 99 at Christmas will be a bumper issue and we should have some interesting stuff for you by then.
Our commemorative centenary issue will be mailed out late February and we are making sure that this will be one that you won’t want to miss!

- Laz

What's a bumper issue?

Large ... not sure where it came from, but the term "bumper crop" would mean a large crop. Perhaps I am reading something into it that is not there, but I am seeing this as "there is no news we can report now, but there will be by the end of the year"

I'm looking forward to reading it. I wasn't really enthusiastic about this Trooper ale stuff, so anything more substantial will be welcome, most of all if it has something to do with their forthcoming record.

I haven't had that and I'm in the FC. Damn. It does sound hopeful, though, a big magazine to coincide with an album launch? Or a mega teaser ahead of an album launch?

Large ... not sure where it came from, but the term "bumper crop" would mean a large crop. Perhaps I am reading something into it that is not there, but I am seeing this as "there is no news we can report now, but there will be by the end of the year"

That's the way I read it too. All those rumours of Maiden booking studio time in Paris, the Maiden sighting just there, I think it's clear that something is happening they want to keep quiet about.

I haven't had that and I'm in the FC. Damn. It does sound hopeful, though, a big magazine to coincide with an album launch? Or a mega teaser ahead of an album launch?

FWIW, the email ended up in my junk folder, had to pull it out of there. Maybe yours is there as well :)

I also think they had an urge to correspond with the members. It was a long time ago since the last zine arrived, wasn't it (I forgot when; but then again, it didn't have that much memorable in it)?

Now I hope they'll prolong the membership accordingly (later). I am especially a member for getting details, and reading interviews with band members and stuff.

Hopefully something is brewing...but on the other hand, it also makes sense not to print and ship out a mag with absolutely no worthy content whatsoever...I know that on the official forum they've been asking members to post pics of themselves with Trooper Ale to print in the mag. And the folks they've interview in the last mag or two have been getting more and more obscure. So if they're running out of content and ideas then I'm happy they've decided to do a bumper issue.

Last edited:
"Up early and off to the airport for an 11 AM flight to Paris. only to find that departure time was actually 4 o'clock. So headed back to Santa Monica to kill a couple of hours before the flight - only to find out later that Air France decided to cancel. And there are no other airlines with open seats on them today."

...from Kevin Shirley's Facebook page ( www.facebook.com/kevthecave ). The plot thickens!

Ahhh, Maidenfans. Truly, I hope this is a new album, but I'd be so amused in a sad way if it turned out to be nothing at all.

*fabricates own plot*

Interesting that Maiden might have spent some weeks in/near the recording vicinity before Shirley arrived. I don't remember that this happened before. Usually a producer receives the band, not the other way around.

A good reason for a sudden earlier band-only-gathering is that they wanted to share some late creations/ideas which didn't exist when 'Arry made his usual visits to other members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back