Studio Album #16 - Rumours and Speculation (New Info 27.02.15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,guys...we can agree to disagree.As for the alchemist.: Imo they just strapped together part after part after part.It feels to me as Bruce just never stops singing on this one.And after the first verse chorus....the same thing again?It is beyond me how they are happy with their arrangements these days.And it is the same for DW.The mercenery is quite repetative if you ask me.I kind of miss the days where a fast song was a real rocker...like BQOBD and JBMG.No nosense arrangements with driving riffs and solos...not just random ideas going on forever.

Last edited:
Alchemist is one of my TFF favourites. It is very vocals-intensive with little letup, though. (Not unlike much of Talisman in that respect).

Guys,guys...we can agree to disagree.As for the alchemist.: Imo they just strapped together part after part after part.It feels to me as Bruce just never stops singing on this one.And after the first verse chorus....the same thing again?It is beyond me how they are happy with their arrangements these days.And it is the same for DW.The mercenery is quite repetative if you ask me.I kind of miss the days where a fast song was a real rocker...like BQOBD and JBMG.No nosense arrangements with driving riffs and solos...not just random ideas going on forever.

Can totally understand the sentiment Gk but think the move into the more "progressive" style of recent years was always going to see the demise of the "short fast rockers." Maybe they feel a bit "been there, done that" and don't get much personally or artistically out them now?

Can totally understand the sentiment Gk but think the move into the more "progressive" style of recent years was always going to see the demise of the "short fast rockers." Maybe they feel a bit "been there, done that" and don't get much personally or artistically out them now?

I think it's very likely that the band enjoys writing longer, more adventurous songs nowadays. Most of the short, fast rockers recently have been written by the guys who don't do much writing: Janick, Dave, even Nicko. Whether it's for the sake of experimenting or not, I think Adrian, Steve, and Bruce get more artistic satisfaction these days out of the longer songs.

I do appreciate a rocker without the slow melodic intro and outro. The alchemist has the right idea, and is a cool song. But it doesn't quite measure up to maiden rocker standards. I do see a 3:00-3:45 rocket upcoming, without the melodic introduction and soft landing.
IMO there are a couple examples of songs post reunion that don't gain anything from the extra half minute melody book ending the song.

Hermod,if you ask me the real progressive Maiden was seen on SSOASS and SIT. Repeating a melody line over and over isn't making WTWWB a better pseudo-progressive song than....well Infinite dreams.As for the rockers my point is that they still get too many redundant parts: Either out of thus world chorus repetition....call me Mercenary......or too many unecessary different parts......call me The Alchemist.IMO they lost their ability to arrange songs...and by they I mean Steve.I love Maiden,always have,always will.But I can't just love -hands down- the way Steve makes every song at least 2 minutes longer from what it snould have been.

@Gk1 Finally someone who agrees with my opinion about WTWWB.

As for the Alchemist, it was a breath of fresh air, the first really fast rocker since Futureal. I like the way Bruce is "crammed" into the arrangement without any time to rest (apart from the solo).

Michael Kiske almost replaced Bruce.

It's a rumour, it keeps being repeated, but there is no proof for it. It was one-sided speculation back in the early nineties, that doesn't make it an "almost replacement".

@Gk1 Finally someone who agrees with my opinion about WTWWB.

As for the Alchemist, it was a breath of fresh air, the first really fast rocker since Futureal. I like the way Bruce is "crammed" into the arrangement without any time to rest (apart from the solo).

3 and a half minutes of repeating a single guitar melody is not even funny.

The alchemist I get you.However I also see what they tried to do.IMO theyjust failed.

My critic is that it has parts that remind me too much of older stuff.

For me, this is a strength of the song. A lot of the material on TFF still feels like Maiden trying to push forward; I like the closing epic to feel more like a traditional Maiden epic. The album needed to end sounding like "classic Maiden" for balance.

To balance out those "typical Maiden sounding" parts, you have...

3 and a half minutes of repeating a single guitar melody

This struck me as repetitive only on the very first hearing, before I was able to understand the opening in relation to the rest of the song. There are enough variations in the melody and the lyrics are good, so I've always enjoyed it from play 2 onward.

The Rainmaker, The Mercenary, Different Worlds, The Alchemist. Those are 4 really awesome short "rockers" from recent albums, and there's more. It's not like they don't exist, there's just less and I'm surprised people have such an issue with that.

and i guess Maiden kinda has done power metal in the past, Aces High is a great example. i'd just like to see more of that.

Aces High isn't power metal and power metal didn't exist as a subgenre back then.

Aces High does have a bit of a power metal feel to it though.

Also, from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_metal
Anthropologist Sam Dunn traced the origins of power metal back to the late 1970s, when the groundwork for power metal lyrical style was laid down by Ronnie James Dio. The fantasy-oriented lyrics he wrote for Rainbow, concentrated around medieval, renaissance, folk and science fiction themes, directly influenced modern power metal bands. It is mentioned that songs "Stargazer" and "Kill the King", from the 1976 album Rising and 1978's Long Live Rock 'n' Roll respectively, might be among the earliest examples of power metal.

I can't say aces high feels very power metaly to me, but I also choose to believe that all power metal have double bass drums, high pitched vocals and fantasy lyrics....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back