Steven Wilson n00bvivor Results: The hiss of the train at the railway head

Satisfied?

• Total voters
Love both of these songs and they represent the two sides of Wilson - compact and light, vs. sprawling atmosphere and heaviness. In the end, however, I'm a sucker for an epic.

TRAINS IS THE WINNER!

Top Ten

1: Trains
2: Anesthetize
3: Blackest Eyes
4: Deadwing
5: Luminol
6: The Sound of Muzak
7: Watchmaker
8: Lazarus
9: Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
10: The Raven That Refused To Sing

This was a tedious survivor, but it was fun finally going through the Steven Wilson discography. I still maintain that he is among the most overrated artists out there right now, but I do better understand his appeal after listening to all of his music. Solid top ten, but it says a lot that everything is from the 00s or later. Thanks to everyone who stuck with it!

TRAINS IS THE WINNER!

Top Ten

1: Trains
2: Anesthetize
3: Blackest Eyes
4: Deadwing
5: Luminol
6: The Sound of Muzak
7: Watchmaker
8: Lazarus
9: Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
10: The Raven That Refused To Sing

This was a tedious survivor, but it was fun finally going through the Steven Wilson discography. I still maintain that he is among the most overrated artists out there right now, but I do better understand his appeal after listening to all of his music. Solid top ten, but it says a lot that everything is from the 00s or later. Thanks to everyone who stuck with it!
Phew. That only took what. A year and a half?

:)

Edit. 23 months. Time flies eh?

Trains is a very deserving winner, although I can't say that I fully agree with how the rest of the top 10 played out.

It would have been nice if we had a few more consistent voters, but exploring all the music, and the entire game itself, was a very enjoyable experience.

Thanks for hosting Mosh! I can't praise you enough for the excellent write-ups that accompanied every album. You really went above and beyond with that. :)

Thanks for hosting :)

I still maintain that he is among the most overrated artists out there right now
3C6tZf6.gif

This was a great chance to dive into an artist, thanks for hosting, Mosh! I found a lot of stuff I like and a lot of stuff I did not like throughout the discography.

I still maintain that he is among the most overrated artists out there right now, but I do better understand his appeal after listening to all of his music.

I'm not sure about overrated, but I definitely think he's a better producer and contributor (i.e. Opeth's work) than he is a solo musician or a frontman. His sound design is generally impeccable, but the songwriting is often under or overcooked.

I'm not sure about overrated, but I definitely think he's a better producer and contributor (i.e. Opeth's work) than he is a solo musician or a frontman. His sound design is generally impeccable, but the songwriting is often under or overcooked.
Definitely agree with that. His production work is great. He’s also a pretty solid arranger. It’s just that he is consistently brought up as an innovator in prog music and I don’t see it.

Thanks for hosting Mosh! I can't praise you enough for the excellent write-ups that accompanied every album. You really went above and beyond with that. :)
Thanks! I’m glad you enjoyed them.

Back