Steve Harris

Jer makes a point. I did wonder if there was someone in BL who couldn't be vaccinated and therefore couldn't take part*. From what the Darkness have said and the way BL's social media announcement was worded, though, it sounded like they totally disagreed with the Darkness' principles, making it clear this isn't in line with Government recommendations. They could have said it made it effectively impossible for them to participate if that was the case.

I won't be going to BL gigs if they become a magnet for antivax and alt-everything nutjobs in future, as seems to be happening on social media. BL shows always had a great, friendly atmosphere. Casts a bit of a cloud over BL and Steve, too, especially in light of some of Steve's more dubious rants in the past.

*Could you imagine if that person was Steve and they went ahead with the gig? :D

Jer makes a point. I did wonder if there was someone in BL who couldn't be vaccinated and therefore couldn't take part*. From what the Darkness have said and the way BL's social media announcement was worded, though, it sounded like they totally disagreed with the Darkness' principles, making it clear this isn't in line with Government recommendations. They could have said it made it effectively impossible for them to participate if that was the case.

I won't be going to BL gigs if they become a magnet for antivax and alt-everything nutjobs in future, as seems to be happening on social media. BL shows always had a great, friendly atmosphere. Casts a bit of a cloud over BL and Steve, too, especially in light of some of Steve's more dubious rants in the past.

*Could you imagine if that person was Steve and they went ahead with the gig? :D

I traveled to the UK to see them last time in 2015 but I agree completely. Not going to support the band until they explain this shit-show. I don't get the need to throw punches at The Darkness like that.

Here's another idea: maybe The Darkness and/or their tour promoters are basically polishing their covid-safe halos by trying to "exceed" the Government reccomendations; whereas Steve and co have no problem with vaccines etc but object to it being imposed on everyone as a condition of entry? (We already know Bruce has a problem with that idea ...)

Here's another idea: maybe The Darkness and/or their tour promoters are basically polishing their covid-safe halos by trying to "exceed" the Government reccomendations; whereas Steve and co have no problem with vaccines etc but object to it being imposed on everyone as a condition of entry? (We already know Bruce has a problem with that idea ...)

I'd also considered this in light of Bruce's comments and I think he has a valid point of view.

However: surely with the current state of the world being as it is, BOTH bands should have clarified this before contracts were signed. Not blaming either camp here, but surely all this should have been settled *before* fans paid money for non-refundable tickets.

I see it as a major failure at management level. Whatever the views of *either* band, management should have had all this thrashed out before the ink was dry on the contracts.

As a side note, is Rod Smallwood the manager for British Lion? I thought I saw something on Facebook that seemed to suggest not (but I'm not willing to trawl through all that mess again just to find out;)). Serious SNAFU for whoever signed off on this (in my opinion, anyway).

I don't see how that would be negative in any shape or form. :) Everything we can do, we should do.

Reading BL’s statement again it seems this is the case, that the restrictions imposed are beyond government requirements. Perhaps BL was told their friends and family would be barred from the venues/allowed backstage, that they have to be masked the whole time until they play, or their movements would be restricted. We don’t really know yet. This is a bad look though as people who bought tix are screwed but doesn’t necessarily mean they are anti vaxx. I have seen push back where I live where people have to show proof of vaxx or negative COVID test to attend shows or fan conventions. I am fully vaccinated so it doesn’t affect me but I know it’s affected attendance.

Wait a second, if you aren't vaxed you're automatically thrown into the quarantine pit? Without a test?
That's quite stupid. People that had 2 jabs can also incubate the virus.

I don't see how that would be negative in any shape or form. :) Everything we can do, we should do.
For how long though? Most of the populace over here is vaccinated now and every minor infection ultimately leads to more immunity. Bruce (and probably also Steve by the looks of this - and incidentally, also Rob Halford) are right when they say "at some point we've just got to live with this" because we can't keep those miserable restrictions in place indefinitely in the vain hope that the boffins will eventually discover some infallible "magic bullet" that will defeat the thing in one fell swoop. Everything you do in life is a calculated risk anyway, and ultimately this is no different. At some point we've got to get back to living, people ...

I see it as a major failure at management level.
Here's another thought: picture the scene ...

In a plush hotel room, somewhere in Suffolk, an extremely hungover Steve is woken at 11.00 am by the phone ringing.

"Steve? Rod 'ere. Listen, I've just been told that British Lion have agreed to support The Darkness on their next tour. 'Ow bloody pissed were you last night?!!?"
:lol:

For how long though? Most of the populace over here is vaccinated now and every minor infection ultimately leads to more immunity. Bruce (and probably also Steve by the looks of this - and incidentally, also Rob Halford) are right when they say "at some point we've just got to live with this" because we can't keep those miserable restrictions in place indefinitely in the vain hope that the boffins will eventually discover some infallible "magic bullet" that will defeat the thing in one fell swoop. Everything you do in life is a calculated risk anyway, and ultimately this is no different. At some point we've got to get back to living, people ...

Seriously, we're in the early days of trying to re-open and and everyone should do whatever they can to keep things this way. How stupid can you be? Join in on the guys who've been dropped repeatedly as kids if you want, but in this case British Lion is in the wrong.

I don't think Bruce said he had a problem with it. He said he didn't agree with compulsory vaccination mandates or vaccine passports, but he thought people should take it on themselves to go and get vaccinated.

Seriously, we're in the early days of trying to re-open and and everyone should do whatever they can to keep things this way. How stupid can you be? Join in on the guys who've been dropped repeatedly as kids if you want, but in this case British Lion is in the wrong.
I'm starting to think comments like this may be the worst fallout from the pandemic. I'm not going to argue with you as I suspect you may not be in the UK and I know that the situation is different in different places. But my comments, which I stand by, were offered in the context of a tour taking place entirely within the UK. I won't presume to have an opinion on what should happen anywhere else but here, anyone who's going to demand (not request) "masks to be worn at all times at our gigs" can fuck off as far as I'm concerned. And I would have been really pissed off if I'd bought a ticket without this being made clear.

I'm starting to think comments like this may be the worst fallout from the pandemic. I'm not going to argue with you as I suspect you may not be in the UK and I know that the situation is different in different places. But my comments, which I stand by, were offered in the context of a tour taking place entirely within the UK. I won't presume to have an opinion on what should happen anywhere else but here, anyone who's going to demand (not request) "masks to be worn at all times at our gigs" can fuck off as far as I'm concerned. And I would have been really pissed off if I'd bought a ticket without this being made clear.

As far as I'm aware, and I may be wrong, but The Darkness haven't demanded everyone wear a mask or be vaccinated, just those in the VIP package, presumably as there may be some sort of backstage meet and greet element. Which is a responsible course of action, as the band catching covid from a fan bringing it backstage could lead to gigs being cancelled. And it's just as responsible to ask British Lion and their entourage to comply to the same conditions for the same reason.

Imagine how pissed off people will be next year if Maiden's already two year delayed gigs get cancelled again because someone in Maiden gets laid up with the virus, that they could have been vaccinated against.

As far as I'm aware, and I may be wrong, but The Darkness haven't demanded everyone wear a mask or be vaccinated, just those in the VIP package, presumably as there may be some sort of backstage meet and greet element. Which is a responsible course of action, as the band catching covid from a fan bringing it backstage could lead to gigs being cancelled.
Which is exactly why Blaze has suspended his meet-and-greets entirely for the time being. But I suppose he doesn't charge for them :innocent:

Anyway, it still doesn't explain why nobody knew about it before the tour was set up. Having read The Darkness's full comment, it looks even more like halo-polishing so maybe they changed their minds along the way? All water under the bridge now anyway: it's done.

nvm - the rules are only for backstage I though they were for the gigs

British Lion are managed by Explorer 1 Music:

I have just had a quick look at their website and could not find Rod having any role in the company (Andy Taylor is listed as “Senior Advisor to CEO”). Tony Newton is part of the leadership team.

Wait a second, if you aren't vaxed you're automatically thrown into the quarantine pit? Without a test?
That's quite stupid. People that had 2 jabs can also incubate the virus.

I went to see the Manic Street Preachers last week and had to show proof of vaccination (a negative PCR test was an alternative) to enter the venue. Perfectly reasonable considering the situation in the UK at the moment if you ask me.

Back