Steve Harris

Nothing specific regarding Steve, but I did run across his Twitter feed a while ago and he's not very keen on vaccination. In fact, he doesn't seem very keen on anything (except KK Downing and Donald Trump).

I've just looked him up, he's @TonyyNewton if you want to see for yourself.

Wow! I have checked his Twitter feed and I am speechless. He even retweets stuff from luminaries like Laurence Fox among others!

Thanks for the information.

So not only is Newton a mediocre bass player and engineer...

Mediocre bass player, mediocre engineer, mediocre producer, but apparently a first class piece of shit though.

I believe that Maiden needs a new producer for their live albums.

Tony Newton mixed Nights of the Dead.
Yeah, Nights of the Dead wasn't very good. It was acceptable though, and the vinyl was definitely better than the CD, which was headache inducing. I think Maiden deserves more than acceptable though. But hey, Newton's rate is cheaper than Shirleys. Chaaa-ching?

Some of the comments on the British Lion Facebook after pulling out of the tour with The Darkness was announced are quite amusing. I particularly like one from a guy who says that The Darkness were probably worried of being outshined by British Lion and that they now will be playing to 3/4 empty venues. :lol:

It gets better. Someone else says "Very good thing. That band does not deserve to share the stage with you", another one "The Darkness are unacceptable even without Covid"...

I don't get all the hate. Someone should tell these guys that without the darkness Steve would not have been able to write his most popular song, would he? :D

The Darkness is a favourite band and the guys in the band are genuinely good and intelligent people. I would be really interested to hear more about this.

Yeah, I'm struggling to work out what it is. I can't imagine BL pulling out of a gig for saying fans must be double jabbed, if that's what it is. Band members, maybe. One of the Darkness might have a high risk health condition for all we know, too.

Old drummer had serious health issues, but I am not aware of any current.

From what The Darkness have posted on their website, it seems pretty clear to me what is going on.

The Darkness said:
With a deep and unalloyed sadness, we have to announce that British Lion won’t be able to accompany us on tour this year, as they don’t feel able to join in with the Covid management policies being put in place by responsible venues and promoters.

But in much more exciting news, those dynamic young guns Massive Wagons have jumped in to save the day!

They love to rock and they love to be Covid-safe, so welcome on board to you, you Massive MASSIVE WAGONS!

So are they saying that they're old, that they're not a cover-safe band and they're not a responsible band?
It's quite the successful diss, isn't it? Calling BL (and Steve, by extension) old has-beens while also calling them irresponsible morons that fail to take Covid seriously, which is a really low bar to clear these days. All that, and it still sounds mostly polite and cordial.

It's quite the successful diss, isn't it? Calling BL (and Steve, by extension) old has-beens while also calling them irresponsible morons that fail to take Covid seriously, which is a really low bar to clear these days. All that, and it still sounds mostly polite and cordial.

Even if it would just be Justin Hawkins doing everything by himself these days, he has always had a way with words...

Who even uses words like "unalloyed"? :bigsmile: It could technically mean "pure metal".

So are they saying that they're old, that they're not a cover-safe band and they're not a responsible band?

They are basically saying that British Lion were not willing to follow the Covid management policies put in place by promoters and venues (you can check what The Darkness require for meet and greets here https://the-darkness.tmstor.es/product/87819) and that their replacement love to be Covid-safe.

“Out with the old, in with the new” is an idiom meaning to move forward, but is clearly used with sarcasm in this case.

You have to love The Darkness!

Last edited:
I could understand mild annoyance at being asked to still mask and social distance after already requiring every attendee to be vaccinated, but that really doesn’t seem like a dealbreaking sort of annoyance. I wonder if there’s an unvaccinated member of the band or their close inner circle who would be unable to participate under those restrictions and that’s what’s forcing the issue. If they’re unvaccinated for legitimate medical reasons, maybe there’s still a valid explanation for the decision here. But otherwise it does reek of anti-vax bias.

I could understand mild annoyance at being asked to still mask and social distance after already requiring every attendee to be vaccinated, but that really doesn’t seem like a dealbreaking sort of annoyance. I wonder if there’s an unvaccinated member of the band or their close inner circle who would be unable to participate under those restrictions and that’s what’s forcing the issue. If they’re unvaccinated for legitimate medical reasons, maybe there’s still a valid explanation for the decision here. But otherwise it does reek of anti-vax bias.

I am beginning to think that Rod is deliberately keeping Steve away from any promotional interviews to save the brand!

• Haha
Reactions: Jer
I am beginning to think that Rod is deliberately keeping Steve away from any promotional interviews to save the brand!
That thought did enter my head, but it's a bit conspiratorial without any real evidence other than British Lion evidently being shit about Covid and Tony Newton being a right nutjob. I wouldn't want to do a character assassination on someone I really don't even know without any sort of proof.

Back