Steve Harris

This really, really suprised me when I saw it come up on my Facebook news feed. I'm quite looking forward to hearing Steve's solo material and seeing how it compares to Maiden's stuff, both in terms of overall quality and in terms of how the sound and general feel is different. I do hope that this isn't a sign that the Maiden days are coming to a close, although I highly doubt that's the case.

I am very surprised and excited for this! I bet it will sound like Maiden as far as Steve's bass playing is concerned, but it will also have it's own sound as far as the guitars go. Either way, I can't wait for this!

Hmmmmmmmmm, I wonder who this Richard Taylor is. I couldn't find anything on him on Google. And I know this isn't him!: http://www.myspace.com/richardttaylor

I sure hope he's not the dude who made the armor and weapons in Lord of the Rings (remember the extras on the DVDs?). :)

He pronounced weapons as wippons and exit as ixet.

I almost wonder if the choice of musicians isn't based on Steve's desire to outshine every other member of the band.

One of the biggest surprises I've ever had in music industry, never expected that to happen. Though the points LC has talked about make sense.

And I actually won't set my expectations too high about this album. Some part of me says that it would sound like generic Harris songs (ala E minor), played in a more modern metal kind of way. I hope I'm wrong though.

I expect a solo album by Bruce in about two years. Adrian has put up a great album recently in Awoken Broken. Still waiting Dave to do some solo stuff.

i am extremely interested in what this new venture will sound like, in my mind i am hoping for a very progressive/aggressive aproach..............i just hope that the songwriting has some nice hooks well placed within the songs......i too am a musician and that is a huge reason i have enjoyed Maiden over the years versus so many other bands that may be big but basically sell out to sell more and more..........Maiden for the most part has stuck to the formula they started with............it has been very nice to add nice touches the the songs over time with Adrian/Bruce/Janick...........but Harris has always been in the drivers seat and controlled the overall sound and feel of all the Maiden material........overall in the end, i personally hope it doesnt sound like Maiden at all.......something fresh from Harris would be very nice.....now if Dave would just work something up!! :D

This could be interesting ... depending on the quality of the vocals, of course.

The one thing that kinda disappoints me, though, is Kevin Shirley "at the mixing helm".
He seemingly goes out of his way to give most of his albums a more organic, live, thick-bottom sound...
which (apparently) is preferred by most people nowadays-- but it tends to leave me wishing for something less ordinary.
Oh well. :S

I certainly expect to hear some Maiden-ish tracks, just because it is Steve. But my hope is that it sounds as un-current-Maiden-ish as possible .. Otherwise there does not seem to be much of a point to this.

I'm very interested to see what he produces as a solo writer. He will probably actively attempt to separate his work from being parallel to his work in Maiden and i can't wait to hear what he's come up with. The title only brings more promise ;)

I'm wondering if the album will contain any instrumental. One of my biggest regrets concerning Maiden, is that they completlly ignore them, while the four they have composed are all fantastic. So I just hope that Steve has recorded one on his solo album.

The opening track just being an instrumental composed entirely using the base. That would be interesting but yeh even if Steve produced an instrumental i would still long for one composed by the whole maiden team

Well, Steve almost exclusively writes on his bass. And all Maiden instrumental have been written by him, on his own, which is not surprising, because his style of wrtiting perfectly fits the genre. I tend to be a bit fed up of all this collaboration efforts on recent Maiden albums : Steve, Smith, Murray and Gers have all their own style, very different from each other, and working together tends to make it fade. I'd like to see Steve write more songs on his own, and I wonder if the new formula is the result of an agreement beetween the guys when Smith and Dickie rejoined.

call me old fashioned, but i still think the older stuff is better..........and it may be because of what you have just stated........i agree and really wish they would maybe revert to their "older" formula for writing...........but "sad to say" those days are probably gone........i still like the newer stuff, but to me the "magic" is not there as much as it used to be............STILL A MAIDEN FAN FOR LIFE!!

Steve and his band are going to do a tour of small clubs apparently in Britain only. Details are to be annonced on monday. It seems the man intends to do as much as possible in a near future. Here is what I've found.

"With the Bank Holiday coming up here in the UK, we've got a special treat lined up for you on the Classic Rock website on Monday 27th: an exclusive interview with Iron Maiden's Steve Harris, talking about his British Lion solo project. Says 'Arry: "I want to cram in as much as possible before I kick the bucket." He even unveils plans for a small-scale tour: "I know we’ll be playing clubs, which is great because I’ve not played clubs for years, but do we play in front of 200 people, 400 people, 600? I’d be totally happy with 200 people a night, that’d be brilliant."
Be sure tune into the Classic Rock website on the 27th for the full skinny from Stevie-boy."

I've also read that the drummer co-wrote some songs, and on some sites, the duration of the songs can be found.

So am I, but I don't want to fool myself. He won't be playing continental Europe. And his statement about being pleased with 200 people audience lokks strange : his shows are going to attract a lot of people, and let many disappointed with no ticket.

Back