Steve Harris

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
EMI Music are proud to announce the release of Iron Maiden founder Steve Harris’ debut solo/side project album. Entitled ‘British Lion’ and comprising ten songs that Steve and his collaborators have been working on for the past few years between Iron Maiden tours and releases, it is an album that will surprise and delight music fans the world over.

With a decidedly heavy rock-vibe this roaring debut paints with a full palette of sounds; brooding, melancholic, righteously indignant and exuberantly heavy. With Kevin Shirley at the mixing helm – whose credits include Iron Maiden as well as Led Zeppelin, Journey and Rush among many others – this is an album to sink your teeth into.

From the growling riffage of opening salvo This Is My God to the heavy forlorn balladry of follow-up Lost Worlds which showcases Richard Taylor’s soaring vocals, it’s clear that ‘British Lion’ is an altogether different beast from Maiden.

Karma Killer, with its dirge-like muscularity, and Us Against The World, with its massive chorus, demonstrates just how far ‘British Lion’ has flexed Steve Harris’ considerable musical muscle. Dovetailed with guitarist David Hawkins’ positively gargantuan lyrical guitar melodies, it’s a mere hors d'oeuvre ahead of the epic, riffing-feast of The Chosen Ones, with its swaggering bravado.

A World Without Heaven, at a breathtaking seven minutes and infused with progressive elements without ever teetering into self-indulgence illustrates perfectly these songsmiths’ colossal abilities to create a mood and stay there. Supercharged by Steve Harris’ inimitable style, there’s an un-cynical vibe here that’s as refreshing as it is out of place in today’s all-too-categorised music industry.

And as far as the name ‘British Lion’; “I’ve always been proud to be British,” explains Steve, “I don’t see any reason why I shouldn’t be. It’s a massive part of being me. It’s not like I’m flag-waving or trying to preach, this is not a political statement at all. It’s like supporting your football team, where you come from. I just think it lends itself to some really strong imagery too, and to me it fits in with the sound.”

With Iron Maiden, Steve Harris has become one of the most recognised and successful ambassadors for British music on the world stage. Having released 15 studio albums, sold over 85 million records worldwide and played more than two thousand gigs in 58 countries in the band’s thirty-five year career, his appeal is truly global.

And now with ‘British Lion’, Steve steps out from Iron Maiden’s illustrious shadow to present a different side of his musical visions.

The tracklisting for ‘British Lion’ is as follows:

1.This Is My God
2.Lost Worlds
3.Karma Killer
4.Us Against The World
5.The Chosen Ones
6.A World Without Heaven
7.Judas
8.Eyes Of The Young
9.These Are The Hands
10.The Lesson

553841_10150928795147051_483754161_n.jpg

555951_361141590624567_576162180_n.jpg

RELEASE DATE: SEPTEMBER 24, 2012
http://www.steveharrisbritishlion.com/

EMI Music are proud to announce the release of Iron Maiden founder Steve Harris’ debut solo/side project album. Entitled ‘British Lion’ and comprising ten songs that Steve and his collaborators have been working on for the past few years between Iron Maiden tours and releases, it is an album that will surprise and delight music fans the world over.

With a decidedly heavy rock-vibe this roaring debut paints with a full palette of sounds; brooding, melancholic, righteously indignant and exuberantly heavy. With Kevin Shirley at the mixing helm – whose credits include Iron Maiden as well as Led Zeppelin, Journey and Rush among many others – this is an album to sink your teeth into.

From the growling riffage of opening salvo This Is My God to the heavy forlorn balladry of follow-up Lost Worlds which showcases Richard Taylor’s soaring vocals, it’s clear that ‘British Lion’ is an altogether different beast from Maiden.

Karma Killer, with its dirge-like muscularity, and Us Against The World, with its massive chorus, demonstrates just how far ‘British Lion’ has flexed Steve Harris’ considerable musical muscle. Dovetailed with guitarist David Hawkins’ positively gargantuan lyrical guitar melodies, it’s a mere hors d'oeuvre ahead of the epic, riffing-feast of The Chosen Ones, with its swaggering bravado.

A World Without Heaven, at a breathtaking seven minutes and infused with progressive elements without ever teetering into self-indulgence illustrates perfectly these songsmiths’ colossal abilities to create a mood and stay there. Supercharged by Steve Harris’ inimitable style, there’s an un-cynical vibe here that’s as refreshing as it is out of place in today’s all-too-categorised music industry.

And as far as the name ‘British Lion’; “I’ve always been proud to be British,” explains Steve, “I don’t see any reason why I shouldn’t be. It’s a massive part of being me. It’s not like I’m flag-waving or trying to preach, this is not a political statement at all. It’s like supporting your football team, where you come from. I just think it lends itself to some really strong imagery too, and to me it fits in with the sound.”

With Iron Maiden, Steve Harris has become one of the most recognised and successful ambassadors for British music on the world stage. Having released 15 studio albums, sold over 85 million records worldwide and played more than two thousand gigs in 58 countries in the band’s thirty-five year career, his appeal is truly global.

And now with ‘British Lion’, Steve steps out from Iron Maiden’s illustrious shadow to present a different side of his musical visions.

The tracklisting for ‘British Lion’ is as follows:

1.This Is My God
2.Lost Worlds
3.Karma Killer
4.Us Against The World
5.The Chosen Ones
6.A World Without Heaven
7.Judas
8.Eyes Of The Young
9.These Are The Hands
10.The Lesson
Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...set=a.406269382050.189128.172685102050&type=1

Artwork:
553841_10150928795147051_483754161_n.jpg

I knew he would come up with a solo album, some day.
Some day....... I thought that would be after Maiden, but hell, this timing is a big surprise!

I am curious who are in the band. The blond guy reminds me vaguely of the lead guitar player in Dirty Deeds (friends with 'Arry).

555951_361141590624567_576162180_n.jpg

I wouldn't be too surprised if Bruce comes up with a solo album too by the end of the year.

I thought of him too, immediately. It's been a while. But he's so damn busy with other things.

Wow! Color me surprised (and excited).
I've been thinking Steve's songwriting light has dimmed, but maybe it's being channeled into another's direction.
Dare I hope for something as different and awesome as Primal Rock Rebellion?
Probably not as different but I will definitely be buying.

This is a huge surprise. After all, I've always thought of Maiden as Steve Harris' baby. And now there's another one with which to share!
Perhaps Maiden's days really are numbered now...

As for Bruce, it'd be great if he came out with one too in the near future, but I'll wait as long as it takes and just hope he does make another one.

Come September 24 I know what I'll be doing (provided I'm not on a field trip in the middle of a swamp or something).

This one is a shocker to me. I pretty much thought that Iron Maiden was as close to Steve's solo band as we were ever going to see. My hope is that with this we see something exciting and somewhat different but still with elements of the signature Harris songwriting that we all know and (usually) love. I will definitely be getting this album come September, though.

With the iron grip on the reigns that steve has had over the years I pretty much figured whatever musical direction Steve wanted is the direction Maiden headed anyway so I too am suprised to see a solo album (Or is it a 'side band' with other people album instead?).

I'll be interested to see what kind of stuff he has written for it, I mean often with side projects I think wouldn't it be better if they just added it all to the main band and made a solid album. But for example with Bruce's material, whilst AoB is a fcking monster of an album and easily challenges maiden's best (for me) I don't think it fit's maiden quite the same due to the fact it's got a lot less guitar melodies thrown into the tracks. So let's see what Steve's alternative to Maidenesque music is.

I'm expecting a lot of NPFTD style material but with more grunt to it.

I think this is the logical conclusion for the talks that Iron Maiden had when Bruce and Adrian came back in 1999. There can be no doubt that since then Iron Maiden's style has changed. It's moved in a rather progressive manner, which reminds me a lot of some of the experimental stuff Bruce did in the 90s alone. But atop that, I think that Iron Maiden has become more and more of a collaborative effort between the three primary writers of music (Steve, Janick, and Adrian). Steve gets his mitts on almost every song, but how much of that is Adrian/Janick saying, "Alright Steve. We're going to need you to come up with a cool base for this riff."

Steve's also a guy with a plethora of musical influences, not all of which can be found in Iron Maiden all the time. I think there's something to be said for Steve wanting to explore those themes, which were really most found in The X Factor and Virtual XI. But he saw what happened last time he went down that road with the Iron Maiden name attached. In the end, this is a man in his 50s who wants to have fun making some music that he can't make with his main band. It doesn't signal the end of Iron Maiden. It's probably good for the Maiden creative process.

I'm totally surprised... I would never expect something like this to come. I thought that as a leader with such an influence on the band, Steve doesn't need anything on the side. That's interesting, definitely.

Well, the title 'British Lion' sounds a bit cheesy to me as well as a few song titles. IMO the artwork is generic either, but it would be silly to judge anything by that. By now we have to wait for a single. Subconsciously I'm a bit sceptical, maybe just because I don't know what to expect. Anyway - I can't wait!

'songs that Steve and his collaborators have been working on'

I wonder how do the credits look like. I don't know the guys in the photo (they should at least list them in the text...) but I would rather listen to something 100% written and directed by Steve if the project is called 'Steve Harris'. Well I don't want to sound like a complete ignorant (not knowing anything at the moment), but otherwise I'm worried that we would get just a mediocre new band... Sorry, sometimes I'm really sceptical towards unfamiliar faces in music, because I know that I often need something more than music to get into a band seriously. One of many things that I like about Primal Rock Rebellion is that it's two great musical personalities - Adrian and Mikee full on - and I know I listen to them. It helps me to understand the music and musicians more. Being musician myself, I'm really inquiring in this matter :)

Speaking of Bruce...
I also think that maybe something is coming. I read an interview with Roy Z in which he said that there might be something next after Tyranny of Souls. I read it in Paul Stenning's Maiden biography (not that good, he gets some facts wrong, but yet fun to read since I haven't read any other...). He said that there will be 'less than seven years between the last (Tyranny) and the next album' and that they 'are talking about setting some dates to write and record'. Assuming that the interview is from somewhere around 2005, guys are just meeting the deadline :p

Well I don't want to sound like a complete ignorant (not knowing anything at the moment), but otherwise I'm worried that we would get just a mediocre new band... Sorry, sometimes I'm really sceptical towards unfamiliar faces in music, because I know that I often need something more than music to get into a band seriously. One of many things that I like about Primal Rock Rebellion is that it's two great musical personalities - Adrian and Mikee full on - and I know I listen to them. It helps me to understand the music and musicians more. Being musician myself, I'm really inquiring in this matter :)

Being musician or not, if you would only be interested in music by people you already know, you're probably missing a lot. Besides: Famous musicians also started infamous in the beginning. ;)
But I get what you mean. Perhaps the contrast between icon Harris and unknown people is quite big.

I'm really interested in how many songs are in the key of E minor.

Being musician or not, if you would only be interested in music by people you already know, you're probably missing a lot. Besides: Famous musicians also started infamous in the beginning. ;)
I understand. That's why I used 'sometimes' and 'often' words quite a few times in my message :D Sometimes it's this way, sometimes the other... Nothing is black and white. Sure, there are many not commonly known bands that I really like and don't even know how do they look like.

Maybe I stressed it too much that...:
...the contrast between icon Harris and unknown people is quite big.
You hit the point :)

Wow! That was totally unexpected, to me at least.

I never thought Steve needed a side project, but as it was already mentioned, maybe the fact that Maiden's writing has become more of a joint effort, he needed some space of his own.

I'm very much looking forward to it, that's for sure.

I am really interested to see how this sounds, I agree with LCs comments that this will probably be a XF/VXI sounding album, though I would assume a little less dark.

I am very surprised and excited for this! I bet it will sound like Maiden as far as Steve's bass playing is concerned, but it will also have it's own sound as far as the guitars go. Either way, I can't wait for this!

Hmmmmmmmmm, I wonder who this Richard Taylor is. I couldn't find anything on him on Google. And I know this isn't him!: http://www.myspace.com/richardttaylor

Reactions: Yax
Back