Steve Harris

Okay, I'm still listening and I must say that so far I like the music. Some quite nice melodies and guitar harmonies and the drums are quite enjoyable. Certain songs are very un-Harris-like but there are parts where Steve's touch in unmistakable. "Us Against The World" and the instrumental section of "A World Without Heaven" immediately stood out. However, I must say that I'm very disappointed with the vocals. The guy just sounds very weak, I'm afraid.
I'll be definitely listening to this again but I can't help but think how much better this would have sounded with a more powerful vocalist.

I'm not bothered by the vocals at all. On the first song, the singer sounds to much like Glenn Hugues, but, in the following titles, that's allright ; on somme ("Us against the Wordl") I LOVE his voice. But to me, the best surprise is the production : the sound is clear, all the instruments can be heard very distinctly. I love it. Obviously, 4 or more listening sessions will be necessary to make a valuable opinion, but the first impression is rather positive.

It was a perfectly good album. Why did they let this vocalist ruin it? :(

Right, I'm exaggerating right now ;) But you get the idea what's the biggest problem with British Lion for me...

Ok, first things first... I've listened to it only once now, but I want to share a quick opinion. Overall, the album is definitely better than I expected. Instrumentally it sounds just like I imagined. Now I can listen and I say it sounds cool! Really solid hard rock, I like it, I really do. Excellent production, cool guitar tones and playing - that's what got my attention first of all. Do I have to mention bass? I don't think so :) Just Steve doing his amazing work... Speaking of songwriting it's pretty much what I hoped for. It's not pop-rock, it's more than mediocre too. Although songs don't seem to be complex or progressive, I would say that... there's a lot going on there. Lots of stuff to listen to within a track, lets say. These songs are really good and I have no feeling that it's something below Steve's level. Not that brilliant, but his name on this is fully acceptable. The album is far from being bad or mediocre, as I said.

But...

I agree with Ariana. It would sound SO much better with a more powerful vocalist. This one simply doesn't fit. He sound's like a pop singer. The chorus of "Us Against the World" is ruined by too weak vocals. The potential of songwriting is not used enough because of this, I think. Now it's like vocals demo take, sung by the writer of the song, not the bands proper vocalist. I hope you know what I mean. He even stands out in the mix. Literally, unfortunately. Sounds separated from the rest of the band. I don't want to sound like Adrian's fanboy (although I am) but couldn't Steve just invite him? :) That would be great! Now I'm kidding a little bit, but anyway - these songs would sound better with some... darker, deeper or edgy voice. In my opinion...

One listening is not enough for getting into lyrics, or track by track review so I'll just point out "A World Without Heaven". Amazing. Just bloody amazing. Cool 80s vibe in guitarwork. First riff (after intro chords) made an instant impression on me. The music would blend in Somewhere In Time perfectly if it was recorded by Maiden back then. WOW.

I'm curious if the album, and the singer's voice particularly, is going to grow on me. We'll see. It will definitely get more listens.

Rejected? I don't understand, what does it mean?

I'm going to tell the girl that I've been in love for 3 years that I like her and ask her out. She'll reject. Meant to happen today, but didn't.

I'll go play football with my friends in a couple of hours but I'm really curious about the album. Can't wait to listen as soon as I get home !

Lol This is my God sounded like something Black Sabbat could have done... I'm liking the album so far

EDIT: Man, Chosen ones and Us Against the world could easily have been in a maiden album... Very cool guitars in those 2

I'm going to tell the girl that I've been in love for 3 years that I like her and ask her out. She'll reject. Meant to happen today, but didn't.
Sorry for you mate... But always see the bright side of life... You got to listen a new album for free!

Just started listening, halfway through the 2nd song, music is good, melodies are good. Weak singing. No power in the guy's voice at all. I wish the audio quality was higher too, so I won't complain about the production until I have the CD, as I'm hoping that sounds better than this stream.

I think you guys have been listening to too much death metal. Singer's no Ronnie James Dio, but he can carry a tune.
I'd prefer that he had more power and character, but he's not a distraction.

As for the album itself, it is about what I expected from the descriptions and I quite like it.
In a way it reminds me of Adrian's Silver and Gold - nothing unconventional or groundbreaking, and not as powerful as what we expect from Maiden, but full of really solid songs.

I'm seven songs in and I'm quite sure it will be getting a lot of repeat plays this fall.

@ Mosh
I'm with you on the sound. There's no kick in my headphones. I'm hoping the CD sounds better.

I'll listen to this again when the album is out I think. It was decent.

The problem with the singer isn't that he can't carry a tune, but that he sounds bored. This approach works in a lot of cases, but not here. Part of what made this 70's style rock so good is the powerhouse vocalist.

The problem with the singer isn't that he can't carry a tune, but that he sounds bored. This approach works in a lot of cases, but not here. Part of what made this 70's style rock so good is the powerhouse vocalist.

Exactly. He was getting seriously on my nerves at times. But I liked the instrumentals a lot, so I hope I'll get used to it a bit.

I almost forgot about the listen today. I'll have to when I get home from work. From what I'm reading so far, musically its great but vocalist not so great but I'll form my own opinion when I listen later.

I just listened to a random song from the album, I was surprised how controlled and precise the singer is. I prefer this Sting-ish singing style to the guy who sang growled on Adrian's solo album any day of the week.

Listening to "Us Against The World" now, cool song.

I will not play anything before I get the CD. But these comments make me very curious.
Power is not always necessary. Vocal melodies are more important imo (and steady singing of course).

I haven't listened to the whole album yet, I'm tired as hell but I've listened to some parts from every song.

The vocalists' voice is pretty good, poppy, but good. It's true that he hasn't got power in his voice but the album seem to not need a powerful vocalists from what I've heard so far.

Not a huge fan of the vocals ... I do not thing they are bad, but they are nothing really special. I need to give this another few listens, but my initial impression is that it is a good albums that could benefit from a better singer.

I've just read people's complaints about bass being too high in the mix. I just can't take it as a disadvantage. Come on, the album has big "Steve Harris" on the bloody cover :p I'm glad I can hear the man loud and clear.

Back