Status Quo

GhostofCain

Ancient Mariner
I have always loved Status Quo. My dad introduced me to their music in the early 80s, so you can probably say they are the first hard rock band I fell in love with and they opened the door to what came next.

The albums they released during the 70s with the classic Frantic Four line-up are (mostly) great, so it is very sad to hear that Alan Lancaster has died :(

I have very fond memories of their reunion show at Hammersmith Odeon I was lucky enough to attend back in 2013. RIP Alan!

RIP Lancaster! Part of a great, heavy rhythm section!

Have a jam with Clive Burr and other brothers in rock up there.

Two Quo's left ....

I have very fond memories of their reunion show at Hammersmith Odeon I was lucky enough to attend back in 2013. RIP Alan!

I saw them on a tour as the frantic 4, was that the same tour? doesn't feel like it was that long ago!

status-quo-1974.jpg

Went to the re-union gigs in 2013 & 2014 suspecting that I would like them more than previous Quo gigs, just because they were playing a set of songs from the 70s, which is of course when they released their best material. But I was really surprised at how much better they sounded with Lancaster and Coghlan in the band, they just played the songs as they should have been played.

Glad I got to see Alan with the band, may he rest in peace and I'll be enjoying his music for many years to come.

I saw them at Glastonbury some years ago and they did a great set, very professional band, but didn't seem to bothered to be there. I had a collection of all their early stuff once, when they flirted with psychedelia. Some of it very hit and miss but a few good gems amongst it.

Went to the re-union gigs in 2013 & 2014 suspecting that I would like them more than previous Quo gigs, just because they were playing a set of songs from the 70s, which is of course when they released their best material. But I was really surprised at how much better they sounded with Lancaster and Coghlan in the band, they just played the songs as they should have been played.

Glad I got to see Alan with the band, may he rest in peace and I'll be enjoying his music for many years to come.

The Frantic Four reunion show I went to in 2013 is, together with the Ed Hunter Maiden gig I saw in 1999, the best example of an explosion of joy from fans after a long-awaited reunion had taken place. Boy was the audience loud and excited!

Nuff and Spud were a great rhythm section. The band were never the same without them, but they still rock.

Classic Rock have recovered a piece from the reunion to celebrate Alan Lancaster:

Last edited:
Speaking of Quo, I have already mentioned that I got into the band thanks to my dad. Funnily enough, my daughter's first proper rock concert will be, Covid-permitting, Status Quo in March. We cannot wait!

Last edited:
I have just finished reading “I Talk Too Much”, Francis Rossi’s autobiography (co-written by Mick Wall, the former Iron Maiden hagiographer). Bearing in mind that it is Rossi’s view, it sheds some light on the highs (musical and chemical) and lows of Status Quo.

Recommended reading and, more importantly, he does not spend half of the book talking about planes (Paper Plane gets mentioned though).

I have just finished reading “I Talk Too Much”, Francis Rossi’s autobiography (co-written by Mick Wall, the former Iron Maiden hagiographer). Bearing in mind that it is Rossi’s view, it sheds some light on the highs (musical and chemical) and lows of Status Quo.

Recommended reading and, more importantly, he does not spend half of the book talking about planes (Paper Plane gets mentioned though).
Yeah I read that book a couple of years ago and quite enjoyed it. Was good to hear him give some information on some of the lesser known albums from the 80s, as most interviews / articles about him/Quo, obviously centre around the glory years of the 70s.

His thoughts that Perfect Remedy was an improvement on Ain't Complainin' due to the fact he wrote the bulk of the material as opposed to writing credits being spread out on 'Complainin was a surprise to me though. I've always enjoyed Ain't Complainin as a really nice polished AOR record with some memorable hooks and tunes, while Remedy has always seemed a bit flat and bland!

Yeah I read that book a couple of years ago and quite enjoyed it. Was good to hear him give some information on some of the lesser known albums from the 80s, as most interviews / articles about him/Quo, obviously centre around the glory years of the 70s.

His thoughts that Perfect Remedy was an improvement on Ain't Complainin' due to the fact he wrote the bulk of the material as opposed to writing credits being spread out on 'Complainin was a surprise to me though. I've always enjoyed Ain't Complainin as a really nice polished AOR record with some memorable hooks and tunes, while Remedy has always seemed a bit flat and bland!

I think both Ain't Complaining and Perfect Remedy are pretty weak. Rock 'til You Drop was an improvement, but they screwed it up again with Thirsty Work and all the cover albums released during the 90s!

Heavy Traffic was a return to form. :)

Last edited:
Back