Space topic

We can learn everything we need to make our planet liveable for humanity by learning to live in a hostile environment that has no oil, no rubber, none of this stuff.

But we can reverse the damage we're doing to this planet much faster. In time to allow my children, their children and their children to carry on living here. How long will it take for it to be affordable and feasible to house 6 billion people on a dead rock with no resources?

Groovy!

"Rosetta’s Plasma Consortium (RPC) has uncovered a mysterious ‘song’ that Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko is singing into space. The comet seems to be emitting a ‘song’ in the form of oscillations in the magnetic field in the comet’s environment. It is being sung at 40-50 millihertz, far below human hearing, which typically picks up sound between 20 Hz and 20 kHz. To make the music audible to the human ear, the frequencies have been increased in this recording"

https://soundcloud.com/esaops/a-singing-comet

But we can reverse the damage we're doing to this planet much faster.
Let's keep in mind that we aren't going to hurt the planet long term. We are going to make it hard for us to live there. But it's the same struggle - living in a dome with limited resources on, say, Mars is going to be the same as what we have to do here in order to reduce our consumption of things like fossil fuels. The technology we develop for those instances would be adaptable to so many situations at home.

It would be far cheaper and more efficient to reduce reliance on fossil fuels and develop renewable energy sources on Earth than it would be to continue sending probes out into the solar system and hoping that a byproduct of the science might help here on Earth, as it has in the past. However, as I said, to choose between the two is false. No-one is going to cancel a space programme and put all the money into fighting climate change. We will continue doing both at once.

I am an enthusiast for space exploration. I think it is our duty to push our species as far as we can go. But I also think we are in danger of fucking this planet up whilst we are stretching out to the stars.

Can't say I disagree much with 2Mins. The danger of fucking up our own planet is imminent and deserves as much (rather more) attention. But both need to continue.

Nobody is saying that problems on earth don't need to be solved or pushed back in favour of space exploration, and nobody ever did. I have no idea where this is coming from.

@Perun , it came from me asking if people thought the mission was worth the money. Any spend of public money should be open to debate.

Nobody is saying that problems on earth don't need to be solved or pushed back in favour of space exploration, and nobody ever did. I have no idea where this is coming from.
From people who are conversating in this topic.

I do not think the two really live in a vacuum at all. There are many lighter/stronger materials have been manufactured for various space programs (or defense systems) that now make cars, planes, etc lighter and more fuel efficient. Beyond anything discovered on any of these missions, there are massive technology gains that benefit people and the world in general that comes from the technology needed to launch and land these things.

Because of Mars One’s eventual failure, Roche fears that people will lose faith in trustworthy agencies like NASA and perhaps even scientists in general. The last thing he wants to do is be part of something that could do damage to the public perception of science.

Good on him.

Calculations show that billions of the stars in the Milky Way will have one to three planets in the habitable zone, where there is the potential for liquid water and where life could exist. Done with 18th century groundwork!

Planets in the habitable zone around most stars, calculate researchers

.... Calculating planetary positions

The Titius-Bode law was formulated around 1770 and correctly calculated the position of Uranus before it was even discovered. The law states that there is a certain ratio between the orbital periods of planets in a solar system. So the ratio between the orbital period of the first and second planet is the same as the ratio between the second and the third planet and so on. Therefore, if you knew how long it takes for some of the planets to orbit around the Sun/star, you can calculate how long it takes for the other planets to orbit and can thus calculate their position in the planetary system. You can also calculate if a planet is 'missing' in the sequence.

"We decided to use this method to calculate the potential planetary positions in 151 planetary systems, where the Kepler satellite had found between 3 and 6 planets. In 124 of the planetary systems, the Titius-Bode law fit with the position of the planets. Using T-B's law we tried to predict where there could be more planets further out in the planetary systems. But we only made calculations for planets where there is a good chance that you can see them with the Kepler satellite," explains Steffen Kjær Jacobsen, PhD student in the research group Astrophysics and Planetary Science at the Niels Bohr Institute at the University of Copenhagen.

In 27 of the 151 planetary systems, the planets that had been observed did not fit the T-B law at first glance. They then tried to place planets into the 'pattern' for where planets should be located. Then they added the planets that seemed to be missing between the already known planets and also added one extra planet in the system beyond the outermost known planet. In this way, they predicted a total of 228 planets in the 151 planetary systems.

"We then made a priority list with 77 planets in 40 planetary systems to focus on because they have a high probability of making a transit, so you can see them with Kepler. We have encouraged other researchers to look for these. If they are found, it is an indication that the theory stands up," explains Steffen Kjær Jacobsen. ....

88352_web.jpg

The illustration shows the habitable zone for different types of stars. The distance to the habitable zone is dependent on how big and bright the star is. The green area is the habitable zone, where liquid water can exist on a planet's surface. The red area is too hot for liquid water on the planetary surface and the blue area is too cold for liquid water on the planetary surface.

In 27 of the 151 planetary systems, the planets that had been observed did not fit the T-B law at first glance. They then tried to place planets into the 'pattern' for where planets should be located. Then they added the planets that seemed to be missing between the already known planets and also added one extra planet in the system beyond the outermost known planet. In this way, they predicted a total of 228 planets in the 151 planetary systems.

(quoting the article above, not Foro himself)

In other words "when the data didn't fit our prediction, we made up our own data". This is not science.

If we add planets where we expect them......then the planets are where we expect them!

Some say it was a giant leap for humanity, some say it was fake, some even say Stanely Kubrick directed it. However, the landing on the moon is still a subject that evokes mixed emotions.

Recently, NASA uploaded just about every image captured by Apollo astronauts on lunar missions, which you can find on their Project Apollo Archive Flickr account.

There are some 8,400 photographs in all at a resolution of 1800 dpi, and they’re sorted by the roll of film they were on.
Here are some of them: https://www.thevintagenews.com/2015...er-10000-photos-from-the-apollo-moon-mission/

If you say it is fake, Buzz Aldrin might come over and punch you in the mouth :) The bigger problem to me is that we have not gone back and try to establish some kind of permanent facility there

Back