Songwriting credits

macunaima

Trooper
I have a question about the song-writting on NOTB which I bet someone here can answer. I've heard two conflicting stories: (1) Bruce did not contribute to any of the songs on NOTB because by the time he joined all the writting for the album had already been done. (2) Bruce actually did contribute to some of the songs on NOTB but he was not given writting credits due to un-expired contractual obligations.

Can someone tell me which (if either) of these stories is true? If it is the latter, does someone know which songs he wrote or co-wrote on NOTB?

[!--QuoteBegin-macunaima+Dec 31 2005, 03:54 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(macunaima @ Dec 31 2005, 03:54 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I have a question about the song-writting on NOTB which I bet someone here can answer.  I've heard two conflicting stories:  (1) Bruce did not contribute to any of the songs on NOTB because by the time he joined all the writting for the album had already been done.  (2) Bruce actually did contribute to some of the songs on NOTB but he was not given writting credits due to un-expired contractual obligations.

Can someone tell me which (if either) of these stories is true?  If it is the latter, does someone know which songs he wrote or co-wrote on NOTB?
[snapback]126100[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Bruce did contribute to NOTB, but at the time he was in contract with Samson. (P.S:I might be wrong.)

I too have a question about the credits for NOTB. Did Paul contribute to any of these songs before he left/got kicked out? The reason Im asking as when I ripped TNOB to my comp to put on my MP3 Player, Windows Media Player automatically names/labels the files and credits etc. On Total Ecilpse Di'Anno was given part credit for this song! Is this true or just another Bill Gates fuckup?

Also read somwhere that bruce contributed to a LOT of NOTB songs (Including HBTN) but as mentioned before as he was still under contract with Sampson, for legal reasons could not be credited for anything he did on this album.

Di'Anno never contributed to any of the post-1981 song. Bruce's contributions on Number Of The Beast aren't clear, but the contractual link with Samson that prevented him from being credited is true.

That's all I can say.

Just been browsing the web, Bruce apparently said
[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I think you could say I had a very big moral contribution to certain songs. Like 'Children of the damned', 'Run to the hills' and 'The prisoner' Those three songs were the songs in which I had the biggest moral contribution. [/quote]
(from www.brucedickinsonbrazil.hpg.ig.com.br/eng_bio.html)

Hope this helps.

Btw another black mark against Mr Gates then (feckin Windows Media Player getting my hopes up)

I'd be curious to hear the exact definition of "moral contribution"...

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Jan 16 2006, 04:50 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Jan 16 2006, 04:50 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I'd be curious to hear the exact definition of "moral contribution"...
[snapback]127123[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Seeing those thre songs does kind of make sense. They fit in with some of the later stuff Bruce helped write (Powerslave, Revelations) and two of them are pretty crap anyway. This could mean that Bruce just wrote the lyrics but does it really matter that much?

Or that could mean that Bruce heard the songs and went, "Yeah! That's really good! Keep it up boys!"

THAT's a moral contribution... [!--emo&:rolleyes:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Legionnaire+Jan 17 2006, 02:32 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Legionnaire @ Jan 17 2006, 02:32 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I too have a question about the credits for NOTB. Did Paul contribute to any of these songs before he left/got kicked out? The reason Im asking as when I ripped TNOB to my comp to put on my MP3 Player, Windows Media Player automatically names/labels the files and credits etc. On Total Ecilpse Di'Anno was given part credit for this song! Is this true or just another Bill Gates fuckup?

[snapback]127118[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Windows Media Player gets the information from a data provider like AMG. So it's not a Bill Gates fuckup but the data provider's.

Sorry to bump an old thread but an idea just occured to me. If we look at what songs bruce plays live (with his own band) we can see that he plays songs from Maiden he had a hand in writing. He plays "Revelations", "Bring your daughter...", "Powerslave" etc.

He also plays "The Prisoner" which is a clear indication he wrote some part of that song. I'm not the biggest Bruce solo fan, so if anybody knows more on this, it would be interesting to see what Maiden songs from NotB Bruce has played live [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"B)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"cool.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=129242:date=Feb 18 2006, 08:51 PM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Feb 18 2006, 08:51 PM) [snapback]129242[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
it would be interesting to see what Maiden songs from NotB Bruce has played live [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"B)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"cool.gif\" /]
[/quote]

Run To The Hills (AoB tour)

Bruce mentioned that he came up with the drum intro whilst jamming with Adrian, while Clive was getting a cup of tea or something...

Back