Songs Never Played Before

ASPF

Prowler
I believe that for Iron maiden's next tour they should do a setlist composed of songs that they have either never or rarely played live before.
Eg. (not necessarily in this order):

1. Out of the Silent Planet
2. Mother of Mercy
3. Starblind
4. Total Eclipse
5. To Tame A Land
6. Flash of the Blade and/or Back in the village
7. Edge of Darkness (maybe with Blaze in a quest appearence!)
8. Sign of the Cross
9. Montsegur
10. Transilvania
11. Strange World

Yes but the general point i'm making is that they should try something different and only play songs that were never played or rarely played

ASPF said:
7. Edge of Darkness (maybe with Blaze in a quest appearence!)
I think you mean guest appearence
Anyway, I would hope not... the scent of nostalgia just seems a little too strong to me with something like this.

For me..it would be a nice surpise to play Mother Russia. Not very complicated.....pretty straight forward.....but power song.
Not sure as to why they never played it. The only thing I can think of would be that it is kinda boring for Bruce......a couple verses .. then disappear to come back to a couple of verses.
But the atmosphere of the tune is great.

(unfortuantely, if they didn't play a song live from the album they were promoting......usually means it'll never be played live)

A few oldies I would love them to crack out again would be Infinite Dreams and Still Life......that's about all. I've seen them so many times that I've seen everything live that I care to see......I love when they play mostly new material.

That's my opinion.

Cheers!

usually means it'll never be played live

It's not "usually". When you don't do something in 30 years of touring it becomes a rule.

Alas. Still, on their goodbye tour they might make an exception. 

*makes wind sound*

My son....

:)

Forostar said:
Alas. Still, on their goodbye tour they might make an exception. 

*makes wind sound*

My son....

:)

In their last concert, they should make an effort to play EVERY song they haven't played. Yeah, I wouldn't mind even seeing Chains of Misery and The Apparition at their last concert!

Oh, absolutely.

The final show had better feature 'Strange World', and 'Prodigal Son'.

Throw 'The Prisoner' in there as well.

As a bonus, they could do a nice long version of 'The Thin Line Between Love And Hate' and just take turns doing those fantastic leads, but, never going to happen save for in my Wildest Dreams.

Paul, Dennis, Clive and Blaze should make an appearance as well! (for the final show)

Guest appearances, I could see Blaze potentially doing something, Dennis I have no idea about... Clive I think it depends on what capability he has these days? (I'm not going to pretend to know much about MS, but I'd imagine it will make it difficult for him?) as for Paul... last I heard he was in rather questionable standing with the law. Again though, it's been a long time since I've heard anything and as much as I am a big Maiden fan, my trivia and knowledge only go so far so I'm not going to speculate any further into that.

Songs not played live, if H could get get the long section+solo sorted fro Alexander I think that would be an astounding success, I know he is a stickler for accuracy though and it would drive him nuts if he couldn't manage it. Although the quieter sound that the guitar has at that point on the album track may not work so well live and I worry having it at full volume would ruin it. I think the most truly mind-blowing thing they could do would be to have Janick play the rhythm part underneath, and Dave/Adrian play that nuts section in harmony!! (It would be bloody impossible I imagine :p).

There are many I'd love them to do live which I don't believe they ever had, but I imagine a fair chunk of said songs are Epics, and that would make for a very awkward setlist, the best gigs are ones with a strong mix so that it flows well while still providing those "OMG" moments. Personally as much as I'd like to see Rime (I'm aware its been played live, just using it as an example :p) I think I would find that central part rather tedious, so putting an entire concert of such things would push it.

Hmm.. let's see, Death on the Road comes in at 94minutes (that all?) on my media player, RiR at 118. I believe for the majority of acts 90minutes is probably about average, certainly at say a festival show where there are other bands playing constantly so the headliners tend to be on rather late. But.. I'll go with 2hours cos that would be awesome :p

Bleh, started trying to think of a setlist and got.. virtually nowhere, the only album opener that's never been played live is Invaders.. which isn't the best. I'm slightly biased with BNW being my favourite album, but from the live performances I've seen Maiden usually like to burst onto stage after the intro and I think Wicker Man is perfect for this as demonstrated on RiR, H on first with that intro riff and then the rest of the band charge out - a staggered impact, very effective.

So, much as its been played often, I think that would be the best opener. Best closer for me would be Only the Good Die Young (minus the acoustic "seven deadly sins" etc), it's got a proper rock ending on the album and it's never been played live. I'll try think of a proper setlist and post later... certainly would include Alexander, and possibly Nomad as a good shorter substitute for Rime/SotC while retaining that middle bit where half the band can go get a quick drink leaving Steve/Dave on stage without it being overly long and a constant build up to the re-emergence.

Back