Somewhere in Time - a prediction of the breakup of Yugoslavia

This is not what I meant. I meant that the name "Balkans" is widely perceived as equivalent to Yugoslavia in the west. Which is a pile of crap as massive as the mountain range that the peninsula is named after, which incidentally is located in its vast majority in Bulgaria.

It's a PC issue, and it is not Westeners that are problematic, it is the people from ex-Yugoslav states who get triggered when they hear "Yugoslavia". So, for diplomatic reasons you say "Western Balkan region" instead of Yugoslavia. It is considered politically incorrect to say "This Serbian company still exports to the ex-Yugoslav markets", the PC version is "Western Balkan markets".

I agree with you that the name should not be used as equivalent to Yugoslavia. Simply because a lot of it isn't. This gets amplified by tourists and their stupid shit (average tourist is average and average people aren't smart enough to fact check nowadays). The name "The Balkans" from PR standpoint is excellent, it reminds of adventure, danger and so on, therefore they (agencies and tourists and everyone involved) use it for everything and anything. You go to Dubrovnik but instead of saying I've been in Croatia you say I went to the Balkans dude it was crazy.

Guys, this discussion is too serious for this forum. Please add some silliness.

Back