Somewhere in Time - a prediction of the breakup of Yugoslavia

LooseCannon

Enterprise-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
Hi Maidenfans,

It has been postulated and now supported by text that the album Somewhere in Time was actually specifically about a point: 25 June, 1991, when Yugoslavia would begin disintegrating. Please see the following supporting pieces:

Caught Somewhere in Time - The thesis for the upcoming events.
Wasted Years - Insisting to the former Yugoslav states that their best years are ahead of them.
Sea of Madness - Truly, the Adriatic would be this before the separation was over.
Heaven Can Wait - a warning to those who would commit Balkan war crimes as to their final eternal fate.
Stranger in a Strange Land - could be about a lot of things, really.
Deja Vu - Feels like we've had Balkan Wars before.
Alexander the Great - Obviously a warning about Macedonia and Greece and the Name Wars.

Maidenfans - let's do some deep contextual readings so we can support this hypothesis. Zare has even gone so far as to suggest The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner itself was directly responsible for the breakup - can we find evidence to support this?

This is the biggest Maiden story of all time - let's go and figure it out!

I think the Yugoslavia desintegration begun when Bruce lied to that boy about to play Heavy metal with synthesizers. The guy wanted it…But Bruce tell him he couldn't…
The rage, riots and disturbs happened in the country that night. All the people wanted to play heavy metal with synthesizers and they felt frustrated because Bruce's words…so there's a connection between Yugoslavia and Somewhere in Time obviously XD

I believe they used synths to tell people that the album was from the future. However Bruce opposed it...I wonder why.

The letters of the title "Tne Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner" rearrange to "Learn sincere nouns, the legend of Tito: L(ove) S(erbia), n(ot) H(erzegovina)".

I think Maiden's evil influence in the Balkans goes back even further than Somewhere in Time.

They played Belgrade during the time of Paul Dianno, so it's possible they could have been involved in a plot to kill Marshall Tito which has been covered up by a conspiracy.

Also, the Somewhere in time cover contains the hidden message "bollocks again and again". Bollocks sounds kind of like Balkans, so "again and again" refers to the initial murder of Marshall Tito and then the plot to kick off ethnic conflict which is revealed on the album Somewhere in Time.

1038036.jpg

They played Belgrade during the time of Paul Dianno, so it's possible they could have been involved in a plot to kill Marshall Tito

He's been dead for a year, so no cigar.
However some sources say he died of a heart attack caused by a boner upon hearing that Murray is going to do back to back solos on the next Maiden record.

Bollocks sounds kind of like Balkans, so "again and again" refers to the initial murder of Marshall Tito and then the plot to kick off ethnic conflict which is revealed on the album Somewhere in Time.

3g3ytt.jpg

The Balkans are everywhere Ottomans went.
Half of Yugoslavia is the Balkans. Croatia and Slovenia and Montenegro aren't but the rest are.

That doesn't mean that Croats don't have Balkan mentality because Bosnia is full of Croats.

The Balkans are everywhere Ottomans went.
Half of Yugoslavia is the Balkans. Croatia and Slovenia and Montenegro aren't but the rest are.

That doesn't mean that Croats don't have Balkan mentality because Bosnia is full of Croats.
This is not what I meant. I meant that the name "Balkans" is widely perceived as equivalent to Yugoslavia in the west. Which is a pile of crap as massive as the mountain range that the peninsula is named after, which incidentally is located in its vast majority in Bulgaria.

Back