So I just got back from the England Vs. Trinidad and Tobago football game...

Nephellim

Ancient Mariner
...and we got our asses kicked 3-0 by the Brits...as I had actually predicted before as my brother and I were driving up to the game. It was a friendly game and not any qualifier to see how well the "Soca Warriors" are prepared for the qualifying matches up ahead. Needless to say we have a lot of work to do, especially in our defence area, and personally, I think a few of the 'elder' players should bow out of the arena with their pride and dignity in tact and not try to show that they are still in form from 10 years ago.

Beckham played just the first half and Crouch came in for him in the second. Wish I could have seen Rooney play. Gareth Barry (1) and Jermain Defoe (2) were the scorers.

Nephellim said:
...and we got our asses kicked 3-0 by the Brits...

OK sorry to get on my soapbox and have a bit of a rant but, Neff, you didnt get your asses kicked by the Brits.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. If you had played against the Scotland National team would you have put you got your asses kicked by the Brits?? No you would have put you got your asses kicked by the Scots (Scottish would also be acceptable but not Scotch)

If Wales had beat you you would have your asses kicked by the Welsh.

If Northern Ireland the Irish.

You got your asses kicked by the English not the Brits. To my knowledge there is no British football team. There is talk of a British team entering the 2012 Olympics. If this happens, and the British team beats you feel free to use the term Brits.

Until then here is a simple chart for you to use.

England = English
Scotland = Scottish
Wales = Welsh
Northern Ireland = Irish

Since England is part of Great Britain. So the English are Brits as well. So he did not lie. Perhaps he could have been more specific by writing English, so we would know that no Scottish, Welsh or Irish players were on the pitch.

btw I will not be able to read any comment on this for the next two weeks. I am off to get wed tomorrow and a Honeymoon is waiting. See you after that.

Cheers, you can all have a drink on me.

Warhusrt is right, but I can see BitV's point - a fair percentage of the rest of the world does seem to see England as Britain and Britain as England - And the Scots, Welsh and Irish as Scottish, Welsh or Irish respectively.

But a Neph post!!!! Blimey, we only get these once every year.

Maybe I was on the soapbox a bit there but I have always seen myself as English, not British. It annoys me when English are referred to as British but the Scots are Scots etc

I mean Canada is in North America but would a Canadian like being called Amercan. I know I might be stretching the point here but would they?

LOL! Yes folks, I am alive, and believe it or not I do visit the forum everyday!

My apologies to anyone I offended for the use of "Brits". Thank you for the correction. It was pretty exciting nevertheless to be at the game. Beckham got the majority of support from the Trinis here, during the break he even took time to walk around the field waving to the screaming fans, of course the screams were from the women, but it was mighty fine of him. It was a shame that Crouch got the jeers, but many fans here are upset with him based on the "hair tugging" incident in the World Cup. Personally I think he is a good player.

Good game nonetheless. The "English" has definitely shown the Soca Warriors where there weaknesses are.

We've got another friendly against the "Reggae Boys" (Jamaica) this Saturday before the Qualifiers begin.

Back