So, does anyone has the original interview about the 4 leftovers of VXI

Luisma

Years Wasted
In 2004 (I think) bravewords.com posted this:

IRON MAIDEN fan site MaidenFans.com (http://maidenfans.com/) reports that guitarist Adrian Smith has ended years of fans' speculation by revealing that 1998 Virtual XI album leftovers were indeed used for the the 2000 Brave New World album.

Adrian was asked, “After VXI, Steve said that there are 4 unused songs left off VXI sessions and that they will use them for the next album. Which ones are those 4 songs?”

He replied, “Yes, you are right. ‘Nomad’ is one of them. The others are ‘Dream Of Mirrors’, ‘Mercenary’, I can't remember the 4th one.”

Here's what Kevin Lomax, the author of the interview has to say about the issue: “I did the interview in the Sanctuary Music London after a brief preview of the Dance Of Death album. The interview was with Adrian Smith. I had fears before asking that question, because maybe Steve Harris might have said "don't tell". Anyway I asked and he said that ‘Nomad’ (Which I'm surprised), ‘Dream Of Mirrors’ (not surprised in any way!) and ‘Mercenary’ (the worst song of BNW from VirtualXI, that's obvious!) were from Virtual XI. He couldn't remember the fourth one. And I asked if ‘Blood Brothers’ could be one of them, because it has similar melodies with ‘Educated Fool’. He said no, it was not. He thought for a while but he couldn’t remember the fourth. (Maybe didn't want to answer).

I had a quick chat with Blaze in Istanbul, before his performance in Rock The Nations Istanbul (where he did a duet with Paul DiAnno). And in that chat he said that he had written some of the lyrics of ‘Dream Of Mirrors’ but Steve didn't give him a credit for that in BNW. When he saw that he had a little frustration.”

I have NEVER seen the original interview done by Kevin Lomax so I haven't bought the commentary so I'm asking, DOES ANYBODY HAVE THE ORIGINAL INTERVIEW? If so, can you please post it. Thanks

Steve also... What I'm asking is if ANYONE has really seen the original interview by Kevin Lomax or is this BS that Maidenfans and Bravenewwords.com reported without really seeing the original interview? Also does ANYONE has the original interview so it can post it?

We've had this discussion before and no one knows. Its either Blood Brothers or The Thin Line Between Love and Hate.

*sigh* Once again, I'm not interested in what the fourth song is... Hell, Steve said in Kerrang No. 1365: "I had the basic idea for Blood Brothers around the Virtual XI era, but it wasn't a complete thing." I already know that the song was Blood Brothers.... I'm asking if someone has the original interview where Adrian supposedly talked about the 4 unused songs

Mckindog any chance you scan it and posted here? Or at least give the details of the magazine or paper where it appears? Thanks I'll really appreciate if you have that you scan it and post it

Oh shoot, I guess I didn't read it well enough. I've never seen the interview, or even heard of it. Still though, It could have been The Thin Line. Nobody knows for sure.

Collin, read my penultimate post, there's Steve comment and the source, if you're interested I can post the entire commentary that Steve made about Blood Brothers

This is what I found (check below what I wrote in blue):
- - -

Adrian Smith Admits Virtual XI Leftovers Were Used
on September 12, 2004 @ 23:07

Adrian Smith has ended years of fans' speculation by revealing that 1998 'Virtual XI' leftovers were indeed used for the 2000 'Brave New World' album:

After VXI, Steve said that there are 4 unused songs left off VXI sessions and that they will use them for the next album. Which ones are those 4 songs?

Adrian Smith: Yes, you are right. "Nomad" is one of them. The others are "Dream Of Mirrors", "Mercenary", I can't remember the 4th one.

Here's what Kevin Lomax, the author of the interview has to say about the issue:

I did the interview in the Sanctuary Music London after a brief preview of the Dance of Death album. The interview was with Adrian Smith. I had fears before asking that question, because maybe Steve Harris might have said "dont tell". Anyway I asked and he said that "Nomad" (Which I'm surprised), Dream of Mirrors (not surprised in any way!) and "Mercenary" (the worst song of BNW from VirtualXI, that's obvious! ) were from Virtual XI.

He couldnt remember the fourth one. And I asked if Blood Brothers could be one of them, because it has similar melodies with Educated Fool.

He said no, it was not. He thought for a while but he couldnt remember the fourth. (Maybe didnt want to answer)

(…)

I had a quick chat with Blaze in Istanbul, before his performance in Rock The Nations Istanbul. (Where he did a duet with Paul DiAnno) And in that chat he said that he had written some of the lyrics of Dream of Mirrors but Steve didn't give him a credit for that in BNW. When he saw that he had a little frustration.

Source: Blue Jean Mag (Turkish Magazine)

Many thanks to Kevin Lomax and travisbickle of the IMBB

- - - -
So, you can continue by hunting for travisbickle and/or Blue Jean Mag (Turkish Magazine).

Also: have you read all the comments below the article?

E.g.:
QUOTE(JackKnife @ Sep 13 2004, 09:22 AM)
Adrian explained this last year to a french journal (Rock hard I think) while promoting Dance of death... Because these leftovers were used he couldn't put all his ideas on the new album (only 2 Smith's songs) [he did not indicate the song's title]

JackKnife is still a member of this board. You can contact him if you want more precise info.

This thread inspired me to look up the other thread where we debated about which song it was. We brought No More Lies and WTWWB into the mix. Completely forgot about those ones earlier. I'm sure it's one of them.

This thread inspired me to look up the other thread where we debated about which song it was. We brought No More Lies and WTWWB into the mix. Completely forgot about those ones earlier. I'm sure it's one of them.
It's blood brothers, not WTWWB or NML. Sure Steve might have had those two songs on the table at the same time but the song we are talking about is BB. Blaze revealed it to Thomas Zwijsen and Thomas posted it on one of his BB cover videos on YouTube.

Did you read Foro's post? Adrian said it was not Blood Brothers. Here's where it says that.

He couldnt remember the fourth one. And I asked if Blood Brothers could be one of them, because it has similar melodies with Educated Fool.

He said no, it was not. He thought for a while but he couldnt remember the fourth. (Maybe didnt want to answer)

Forostar, I'm terribly sorry that my comment came out as being angry! :oops: was not feeling very well (kind of depressed) and most probably that's why I wrote in that manner. I'm truly sorry if I offended someone

Calling JackKnife, calling JackKnife, earth here... Have you ever read the interview printed in Blue Jean Mag (Turkish Magazine)? If you have it, can you post it?

Collin, I think Adrian didn't know the answer... But once again, Steve has said that he did have Blood Brothers by the time they made VXI but it was not finished...

By the way, here's more of the stories around the songs:

"We had the ideas for 3 extra songs, but we said 'well, if we record all these songs we're gonna be back to the X Factor, why don't we just put 54 minutes of music, this might be really good '" Blaze for NOTB Magazine - May 1998 - Paris, France

"Do you have any tracks left from the Virtual XI sessions ?

We've got a few things, but nothing's finished for the next album." Dave for NOTB - October 3rd, 1998 - Mulhouse, France

To me has always been strange that nobody else has said on an interview what the songs were and then OUT OF NOWHERE and for some Turkish Magazine Adrian spills the beans? I found it hard to believe, that's why I'm so interested in seeing the original interview (Even if I can't understand turkish hehe)

Did you read Foro's post? Adrian said it was not Blood Brothers. Here's where it says that.

Yes I have seen that years ago. But I'm 110% sure he was lying. These are the questions in which I wouldn't trust any band member. Even Adrian.

This has happened many times, the band has said opposite the truth. Steve was asked why did they dub Bruce's voice in some of the songs in Rock In Rio where the crowd should be singing and Steve angrily replied nothing was edited. Which we all can tell is a lie.

That is why I would trust someone that has been involved in the band at the time but has been moved (here kicked) outside and the time has passed since. Blaze was clearly bought out at the time he left the band. It has been 15 years since this case took a place and I believe it is safe to tell the truth now. Anyway, what's the big deal? Blood Brothers is still a great song whether Blaze was involved in it or not.

Back