Smashing Pumpkins

I like one song of theirs but I can't stand the guy, his music, his voice or his attitude. Anyone who's been browsing Blabbermouth lately could have seen what kind of attention whore this guy is, with his usual whining of under-appreciation of him and his music.

I thought some people out here enjoy this band (or at least some of their albums) enough to have a thread.

I certainly do. I love both Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie.

I think SP can pull off doom metal musically, but I can't see Corgan singing it. His voice is too high and nasal, doesn't work.

I can't stand the guy, his music, his voice or his attitude. Anyone who's been browsing Blabbermouth lately could have seen what kind of attention whore this guy is, with his usual whining of under-appreciation of him and his music.
Yep.

This I like

Very Floydesque. Original version is faster and has some nice drums and is good indeed, but I like this one better.

I agree about Billy Corgan. He's one of those dickheads who makes good music despite his dickheaditude, like Mustaine.

Very Floydesque.

Lots of Floyd influence. Corgan inducted Floyd into the Hall of Fame. (And gave the most boring speech in Hall of Fame history when doing so.)

I liked that track. Pumpkins are great at creating atmospheres. Here's my favorite from Mellon Collie:
The silence when you press play is not accidental... wait, it fades in, and it gives you a long time in the atmosphere before the riff hits you.

Bodies was always one of my alltime favourites.
(not an offcicial vid but best sound I could find)
That drumming..! wow, so rhythmic. And dark riffs.

I haven't played Mellon Collie in agess, but I am sure I'd appreciate the calmer stuff more now.

Siamese Dream is a great ride from start to finish. Cherub Rock: :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
The debut Gish has good stuff going on as well.

Last edited:
Yep. A lot happened in 20 years. More interest in seventies (and older) music probably helps . ;--)

SMX that's one cool song. Musically. I just don't like Billy's voice. I'll keep in mind to spin that album since it's been good 15 years...and Foro I might try Siamese Dream too. I for sure don't have same tastes I had 15 years ago.

And what about comment #1 on that page, saying that these are 4 months old news and that guitar player commented that he was joking/trolling? By the way, Billy Corgan actually said, a month ago, that he's open for working with Miley Cyrus.

Hmm, seems old news was brought as a new item indeed. Strange because that recent album (released last December) was mentioned. :/

Bodies was always one of my alltime favourites.
(not an offcicial vid but best sound I could find)
That drumming..! wow, so rhythmic. And dark riffs.

I haven't played Mellon Collie in agess, but I am sure I'd appreciate the calmer stuff more now.

Siamese Dream is a great ride from start to finish. Cherub Rock: :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
The debut Gish has good stuff going on as well.

Bodies actually reminds me a bit of the Gish sound. Very similar groove to "I Am One".

I was living in Madison, WI when Siamese Dream came out. The big music star of Madison at the time was producer Butch Vig (produced Nevermind and Siamese Dream, among others, before starting Garbage). So when Siamese Dream came out, it was "Butch Vig's new album" in Madison. No one ever mentioned the Pumpkins in Madison.

Corgan likes the Metal God. Taken two days ago:
10339959_10153045908523965_5926738237301389429_n.jpg

MARILYN MANSON, ROB HALFORD & BILLY CORGAN (SMASHING PUMPKINS) at our show at the
Enmore Theatre, Sydney on Tuesday 24th February, 2015

Most liked comment under this photo:
metal god with assholes. XD hail Halford!

Pretty huge SP fan. I have to be in the right frame of mind to properly enjoy them (as I do IM, Rush, and everyone else under the sun). I don't doubt that BC is a difficult person to work with; but he probably isn't as big a dick as some say. There's always that argument of separating the artist from his work, which I've gotten better at.

D'arcy Wretzky is not in the "reunion" line-up. :/

Some contrasting views on the matter:

Earlier in the week, Smashing Pumpkins denied claims by original bassist D'arcy Wretzky that an invite for her to join the reunited band was later rescinded.

D'arcy alleged in an interview with BlastEcho that Corgan sent her a contract that was agreed upon, but a month later, he told her "that wasn't a real offer." She said: "My apologies to all of the Smashing Pumpkins fans out there who are excited about this oncoming reunion tour of the original members of the band. I know this is a huge disappointment for me, as well, but it's not going to happen."

Smashing Pumpkins later released a statement claiming that Wretzky had "repeatedly been invited out to play with the group, participate in demo sessions, or at the very least, meet face to face, and in each and every instance, she always deferred."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/sm...reunion-announce-shiny-and-oh-so-bright-tour/
smashingpumpkinsfeb2018_638.jpg

Back