Sign of the Cross

Discussion in 'The X Factor' started by Taffy, Jan 23, 2004.

?

How good is Sign of the Cross on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

59.4%
  2. 9

18.8%
  3. 8

10.9%
  4. 7

7.8%
  5. 6

3.1%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Number 6

Number 6 Ancient Mariner

Fuck that. "Sign of the Cross" is the perfect opener to The X Factor.

Poto and Diesel 11 like this.
  2. Gk1

Gk1 Ancient Mariner

The sound is so awful and the performances that made it to the album are so soulless that it makes no difference which is the first song for that matter.

3. Number 6

Number 6 Ancient Mariner

Couldn't disagree more.

Diesel 11 likes this.
  4. Gk1

Gk1 Ancient Mariner

fair enough #6

5. KidInTheDark666

KidInTheDark666 The island where the souls of dead are reborn

Amazing song, but just like LOTF, even better with Bruce. Highlight of the LOTB tour.

6. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 As you scream into the web of silence...

A building intro that breaks into Gregorian chanting opens up Maiden's tenth album. It's a drastically different opener to everything they've released before it, but my god, is it brilliant. A bass lead and the voice of Maiden's new singer take centerstage before drumbeats and slow moving guitars and keyboard start intensifying the action. Finally the song just explodes into a heavy, plodding piece with Blaze showcasing how great his voice fits Maiden's new style. The verses are very typical Steve Harris but they work great, and the lyrics are an awesome look at someone awaiting the Inquisition. The chorus is simply but effective, and the long instrumental piece is amazing. It starts out chugging along, then has some more chanting over bass, then gets back to heaviness, leading to a fantastic couple of solos from Dave and Janick, before winding down and returning to the chorus before bowing out with a final stanza delivered by Blaze. This song is a masterpiece, an epic to rival everything Maiden have done up to this point. The production isn't technically 'great', but I love it anyway, because it gives the song a much bigger sound than otherwise. "Sign of the Cross" is the most atypical opener ever, but fuck me if it's not also an incredible way to start an album of this caliber. 10

Number 6 likes this.
  7. rideon77

rideon77 Prowler

Top 3 Maiden song ever! Great performance by Blaze!

8. Formula409

Formula409 Invader

Quite simply the best song Iron Maiden has ever done. I like the studio version and the RiR one equally, and finally hearing the song live last summer was truly amazing.

Diesel 11 likes this.
  9. John Silver

John Silver Electric Buddy

Really? The best song buddy. What else comes close ya reckon?

10. Formula409

Formula409 Invader

Don’t call me buddy, guy!

There are many that come close, too many to mention.

11. John Silver

John Silver Electric Buddy

Yeh, well that's a load of bollocks buddy. Surely you can name the nearest fuckin contender aye.