Should the X Factor have been a double album?

Definitely not. It's a good album as it is and while something like Justice of the Peace would have balanced out the pace of the album very nicely, I really wouldn't change it.

However, a 2CD release with second disc containing all the B-sides, like the mentioned bonus tracks and Doctor Doctor etc, Virus and live recordings used as B-sides for VXI singles would have been a great thing at some point. :)

I would...Wrong Judgement is there. Judgement of Heaven is too uplifting and completely out of place. Judgement Day would be better.

Judgement of Heaven is too uplifting and completely out of place.
Uplifting? By the end maybe, but it's literally about suicide, losing sense of religion, and deciding to fight on despite the odds. It fits perfectly.

Last edited:
However, a 2CD release with second disc containing all the B-sides, like the mentioned bonus tracks and Doctor Doctor etc, Virus and live recordings used as B-sides for VXI singles would have been a great thing at some point. :)

There is a two CD release from Japan with the 3 Man on the Edge b-sides.

While I think Judgement Day and I Live My Way are great songs (Justice of the Peace not so much), I always thought it was obvious that they didn't properly suit the feel of the album, and were therefore left off. Some people may say that The X Factor is monotonous, but I think it has a unique flow the way it is, there is always an aura of tension between the end of a song and the start of the next, and putting short rockers in there would completely destroy that. I especially think that The Unbeliever closes the album perfectly. It leaves me with a certain mood that just makes me want to sit there in silence for a moment and reflect on what I just heard... every time. Having a song - any song - follow that would be blasphemous.

Agreed.

Also, I think the 3 tracks are very basic and barely cut it as b-sides.

The album is perfect as it is, so no.

''Judgement Day'' is the best of the three bonus songs and easily could have been in the album, but they already filled the slot for short fast rocker with MOTE (both songs are Bayley/Gers compositions). ''Justice Of The Piece'' is the only song co-written song by Dave from that era, but it's not that good song imo (I wished the album had a writing contribution from Dave though). ''I Live My Way'' maybe could fit in the atmosphere of the album. Not bad songs, but in this album their place is as a bonus songs/B-sides.

TXF album has such a unique feel/atmosphere in which these songs do not fit.

Back