Should the X Factor have been a double album?

Jimmy-zee

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
The X Factor is a lot longer than all of the Maiden albums that came before it, almost filling up an entire CD at 71 minutes. There were three B-Sides that never made it onto the album (Justice of the Peace, Judgement Day, I Live My Way), as well as the Virus single that came out shortly after its release. With the 11 album tracks combined with these 4 tracks, the band had enough material to split the album into two discs that would have each been roughly 45-50 minutes long each.

I think that if the band worked a bit more on the B-Sides (particularly the somewhat unfinished Justice of the Peace), the X Factor could have made a very interesting double album.

Does anyone else think that this could have worked? And how would you alter the track list to include the B-Sides and Virus?

The X Factor Japan press TOCP-8588 (which I own, great sound BTW) came with the bonus tracks on a bonus disc , so for the Japanese The X Factor was the first proper Maiden studio double album.

I don't see why not, although it would have been impossible for Virus to be on there, as it was written in response to the negative backlash Steve and co. encountered following the release of The X Factor.

I just wanted to respond what LC said ^ .

But other three songs could've fit in between and the double album would flow better. I think X Factor songs are individually pretty strong, but the flow and production are lacking. The latter seriously.

I just wanted to respond what LC said ^ .

But other three songs could've fit in between and the double album would flow better. I think X Factor songs are individually pretty strong, but the flow and production are lacking. The latter seriously.

The production of X Factor is the main reason why I couldn't get into it initially. I would keep abandoning the album but would the find most of the songs stuck in my head. Given how amazing the X Factor material sounds live, it's a real shame that the album didn't have the same sound as the Birch-produced albums.

No, it shouldn't. 3 bsides are very good but not on a same level with the material of the album. They're sounds quite lighter to the whole dark atmosphere of the album and also a bit unfinished, you can hear it! I think that's why they're not included/replace songs on the album.

Yes! I love these B-sides. I don't like the chorus in I Live My Way, but the other two songs I hold high enough in regard to be "album material".
(I remember an interview with Nicko in which he said -something in the vein of- that these songs were not seen as inferior by the band)

So after listening to everything from The X Factor sessions and whatnot, I thought I'd put together a double album X Factor including the three B-sides (leaving off Virus).

DISC 1:
1. Sign of the Cross (11:18)
2. Lord of the Flies (5:04)
3. Man on the Edge (4:13)
4. Fortunes of War (7:24)
5. Judgement Day (4:09)
6. Look for the Truth (5:12)
7. The Aftermath (6:21)
Total: 43:01

DISC 2:
1. Justice of the Peace (3:38)
2. Judgement of Heaven (5:12)
3. Blood on the World's Hands (5:58)
4. The Edge of Darkness (6:39)
5. 2 A.M. (5:38)
6. The Unbeliever (8:10)
7. I Live My Way (3:48)
Total: 37:43

So basically, no big changes other than adding in the B-sides where I feel they fit best and splitting it into two discs, with seven songs per disc.

While I think Judgement Day and I Live My Way are great songs (Justice of the Peace not so much), I always thought it was obvious that they didn't properly suit the feel of the album, and were therefore left off. Some people may say that The X Factor is monotonous, but I think it has a unique flow the way it is, there is always an aura of tension between the end of a song and the start of the next, and putting short rockers in there would completely destroy that. I especially think that The Unbeliever closes the album perfectly. It leaves me with a certain mood that just makes me want to sit there in silence for a moment and reflect on what I just heard... every time. Having a song - any song - follow that would be blasphemous.

While I think Judgement Day and I Live My Way are great songs (Justice of the Peace not so much)
:eek:
I always thought it was obvious that they didn't properly suit the feel of the album, and were therefore left off. Some people may say that The X Factor is monotonous, but I think it has a unique flow the way it is, there is always an aura of tension between the end of a song and the start of the next, and putting short rockers in there would completely destroy that.
I honestly kind of agree. What I was doing above was considering how it would work best if one did include them, but they don't need to be on it per se.
I especially think that The Unbeliever closes the album perfectly. It leaves me with a certain mood that just makes me want to sit there in silence for a moment and reflect on what I just heard... every time. Having a song - any song - follow that would be blasphemous.
Regarding closing the album, I'm kind of on the edge about it. On the one hand, it's a good introspective piece, and that's what the entire album is, this one just magnifies it. On the other hand, it doesn't feel like as good as a closer as, say, Como Estais Amigo is on the next album. If one were to include the B-sides, I think I Live My Way would be great as a closer. You're left with the impact of The Unbeliever, and then, one last track out, a little peppier and cheerier to finish off the album.

But hey, I can see where you come from, I just feel that if one were to include them, this would be the way to go.

In my opinion: No. In fact I think The X-Factor should have been trimmed, some b-sides included and a couple of songs cut from the album.

I just can’t understand why Judgement Day and Justice of the Peace didn’t make it. While I like all the songs, there are just too many similar tracks with a quiet/clean intro and so on. And they’re in a row! In my opinion the album badly needed some faster, punchier tracks. First of all, Blaze sounds really good on them, especially on Judgement Day. Second, they would have been great live as well.

So here’s my fantasy X-Factor track listing:

1. Sign of the Cross
2. Man on the Edge
3. Lord of the Flies
4. Blood on the World’s Hands
5. Fortunes of War
6. Judgement Day
7. The Aftermath
8. 2 AM
9. Justice of the Peace
10. The Edge of Darkness

Completely agree with the above. I think the reason The X Factor didn't emerge like that was because of Steve's personal issues going on at the time. The more gloomy songs would have made sense to put onto the album for him as I guess it would have been a personal project sort of thing like St Anger was to Metallica

Completely agree with the above. I think the reason The X Factor didn't emerge like that was because of Steve's personal issues going on at the time. The more gloomy songs would have made sense to put onto the album for him as I guess it would have been a personal project sort of thing like St Anger was to Metallica
The difference here is that The X Factor is an incredible album with a dark mood and a feel that runs through the entire thing, making even the weaker songs strong. It’s emotional, it’s personal, and it’s a really, really great album all told.

St. Anger on the other hand is flat-out shit. There is pretty much nothing redeemable on that record.

The only songs from St. Anger I actively like are "Frantic" and "Some Kind of Monster". Maybe "St. Anger", if I'm in a good mood. Don't really care about the rest.

Still, The X Factor is a great album, and every one of its songs is better than St. Anger's. Every single one.

Oh I wasn't inferring to the actual content of St Anger, simply pointing out the fact that it was a therapy tool sort of thing for the band

Back