Setlists topic : how do Iron Maiden and the other bands compare?

Black Bart

Ancient Mariner
In order not to derail the Senjutsu thread too much, here is a space to compare Maiden's and, say, Metallica's approach to their setlists.

As far as I'm concerned, production and musical proficiency are the two main elements to be taken into account. As someone remarked in the aforementioned thread, how possibly could Maiden squeeze in "Die With Your Boots On" when the production team is ready to set up the flaming cross or the Icarus statue?

Besides, bands like Dream Theater (a whole other level technically) could allow themselves to "surprise" a bit more -up to the early 2000s-, e.g the medleys or the covers, also because they did the soundchecks themselves and could quickly rehearse them.

Finally, some bands (like Metallica) make a point to include an element of fun at one moment of the show, hence the "doodles"... which do not correspond to Maiden's live identity at all.

The other important difference between Maiden and Metallica is that James Hetfield is the author of the lyrics, which makes it easier for him to remember them, whereas Bruce has to make his memory work more while jumping around, and this costs energy.

Playtime , setlist changes, length of set, behind the scenes, interaction with fans : Metallica absolutely wins this.

Quality of live gigs, better songs and stage production : Maiden > every other band
Rammstein?

Rammstein?
Well it's mostly set up industrial and loads of Pyro. Kind of stale. No doubt they know their stuff in that regard, but their songs just don't do it for me

Also : I still think they use shit tons of playback
If not, sound is top notch

I also think that Rammstain use a lot of playback and some sound effects to cover them. Just it sounds like that.

But, they manage to sold out European stadium tour and they are going for N.American stadium tour, something that Maiden was never able to do it

I will write some Maiden rant post because I am in China and I need kill some time.

I really hate when people are saying "Maiden are perfect, no any media support, they are against whole world..."
Man, just like I am listening to Manowar fans.

But ok, lets see why is that not true.

- No radio support? Yes, but they were trying to get this one, on every album up to '92 they were desperately trying to write some big radio song with catchy course.

- Change of style? Yes, brining Bruce and changing direction more to metal than punk was a good move, but for some people was sell out because metal and vocals like Bruce were next big thing. Then again in 90's they are trying to catch that grunge hype train because that was the next big thing, luckily they drop of that idea with Blaze.

- Bruce rants. First few years after reunion he was ranting all the time, and Steve was editing that in RiR just to make Maiden gentleman and polite band as always.

- No nostalgia band, that is something that Bruce likes to repeat over and over again, with all these history/best of tours he is still saying that. And joking about dinosaurs and Sabbath, but what are Maiden now?

- Lack of releases, we talked about it how they slowed down with different types releases. Ofc I am pissed off because that budget is invested in beers and games. And I am not expecting some huge box set just release one single with extra material. What is a point of digital release of one single, and they dont even have a cover, no Eddie on some single just to save money. Lazy and cheap editing of last two live albums is worst of all.

So I cannot support that type of management as long as they put money in beers in games and not in normal release of single or live album. Maiden as company want to grab money, me as fan want quality music content, and that is fair enough.

Maiden for me is best band ever, but they are not perfect and without sins like some people wants to show them here.

I still think Maiden has been doing incredibly bad in bringing variation in their setlist. A middle finger to (excuses like) production and memory.

The playing of live music is the most important ingredient in the show. This band has such a huge catalogue and the shorter their remaining lifespan is, the more nuts it gets with this lazy formula.

Playing live is about fun. But it's better when it's also about love for the available music.
When a band only loves a small portion of their music, and does not wish to prepare longer than for learning 15, 16 songs, then this is the result.

Complaining makes no sense, but yeah, I have seen other groups who can do it. Who want to do this. Simply by making music more important than backdrops. Backdrops! That's what it is really, bahaha. Fucking backdrops. *starts to laugh maniacally, then changing into facepalmed cry*

Last edited:
What Maiden song would you consider grunge?
Not a song, but the whole Maiden style was changed to be adopted for the American market after they failed in America during SiT and 7th

And grunge was massive in that time, American record labels killed all big glam metal bands because of incoming grunge movement, Maiden also was close to that because their fantasy/epic style was a big failure from '86-'88.

No more keyboards, short songs, Bruce different style of singing, small stage, no pyro, no effects, simple design of stage. If I was a fan in that time I would be really dissapointed that after 7th Son you got this album, and in regarding of music industry in that time for me that was pure sell out by band to get into the American mainstream market.

Not a song, but the whole Maiden style was changed to be adopted for the American market after they failed in America during SiT and 7th

And grunge was massive in that time, American record labels killed all big glam metal bands because of incoming grunge movement, Maiden also was close to that because their fantasy/epic style was a big failure from '86-'88.

No more keyboards, short songs, Bruce different style of singing, small stage, no pyro, no effects, simple design of stage. If I was a fan in that time I would be really dissapointed that after 7th Son you got this album, and in regarding of music industry in that time for me that was pure sell out by band to get into the American mainstream market.
Absolutely none of this seems correct to me. Most importantly, I've never heard anyone allege that changes to their sound were made for the purpose of greater US success. Where did you get that idea?

While grunge existed in 1990, it didn't become popular until late 1991. NPFTD was released nearly a year before Nevermind. Whatever the reasons for the changes on NPFTD, imitating grunge isn't one. In fact, I can't think of any Maiden song that's remotely grunge (maybe TAATG? grunge is very repetitive). What musical characteristics of grunge do you hear in Maiden?

No guys I am not talking about grunge sounds in songs, but all that style that was changed.

We already mention that record labels in late '80 destroyed glam metal bands and they on purpose move towards grunge movement. We cannot go on Wikipedia and see release date of Nirvana album and said that this is not '90 that is '91. Because there is something that is called planning and prediction of market in future.

What is the reason for dropping stage set like 7th son, and start playing on small simple stage, no pyro with short songs and Bruce different style of singing.

Ofc Rod and Steve knew in '89 that something new is coming in the industry, and that they should try to be colser to that and to finally break into U.S. mainstream.

What Maiden song would you consider grunge?
They never wrote a grunge song (although Bruce did in Skunkworks) but in fairness, the album that they put out during the peak of grunge was dark, depressing and had songs about suicide. Look into that what you will.

No guys I am not talking about grunge sounds in songs, but all that style that was changed.

We already mention that record labels in late '80 destroyed glam metal bands and they on purpose move towards grunge movement. We cannot go on Wikipedia and see release date of Nirvana album and said that this is not '90 that is '91. Because there is something that is called planning and prediction of market in future.

What is the reason for dropping stage set like 7th son, and start playing on small simple stage, no pyro with short songs and Bruce different style of singing.

Ofc Rod and Steve knew in '89 that something new is coming in the industry, and that they should try to be colser to that and to finally break into U.S. mainstream.
NPFTD and its stripped back sound (and tour) was more of a reaction to Guns n' Roses than grunge, considering grunge didn't even exist at that stage.

GNR put the boot into the hair metal scene and the trend at the time for the big rock acts was to move away from theatricality. The Seventh Son tour represented the pinnacle of this.

When it comes to song variety on setlists, Judas Priest> Maiden
Stage production, Maiden> Priest
Sound, Priest> Maiden by a slight edge.

When it comes to song variety on setlists, Judas Priest> Maiden
Stage production, Maiden> Priest
Sound, Priest> Maiden by a slight edge.

When it comes to live ability, performance of the songs and on stage energy, Maiden mop the floor with Priest. For a band with such great material Priest are painfully average live.

When it comes to live ability, performance of the songs and on stage energy, Maiden mop the floor with Priest. For a band with such great material Priest are painfully average live.
Performance of the songs I still prefer Priest, I prefer the crunchier heavier sound. "Mop the floor"? come on man you're exaggerating.

But I agree with stage energy, Maiden is more energetic.

Back