Senjutsu

How good is Senjutsu on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters

Jon

Administrator
Staff member
Thread for all discussion of the track 'Senjutsu' from Iron Maiden's 17th Studio album 'Senjutsu'.

Love it. What a way to start the album. The chorus really shines and it has been stucked in my head since I've listened to it

My first impression is that the song has some good ideas, but is too long. It really drags. Maybe it's a grower.

My first impression is that the song has some good ideas, but is too long. It really drags. Maybe it's a grower.
I've seen a lot of opinions about the song and it seems to not be for everyone. I've seen people rate it as best on the album and worst on the album. Personally found it amazing right from the 1st listen

Wardrums... shackles... some background effects... and all of a sudden a really war like pompous anthems explodes as the rumbling of Nicko's toms really carries this mid tempo monster onward. Then comes the chorus and... I don't know... it is well penned but seems to be too melodic regarding the rest of the song and so it deflates its megalithic pace. Other than that the solos are on point (especially like the ones before the 2nd refrain). The bridge once again bets on the duality of anguish and melody (although I find it way more appropriate to place this contrast here than in the chorus). Overall a peculiar way to start the album and if it's true overall I really enjoyed it that chorus sure does break the bellicose atmosphere the remainder of the track so brilliantly builds. Hey... The boys thought it should be that way and although I'd pick another direction on that section by no means does it stain the remainder of the song that happens to be damn good... it just softens it a bit. 8/10

Last edited:
it is well penned but seems to be too melodic regarding the rest of the song
I think that's what makes it great, I love the contrast. And the fact that the chorus itself is nothing short of amazing too I guess.
I must say, I think senjutsu is easily my favorite maiden opener of all time

I think that's what makes it great, I love the contrast. And the fact that the chorus itself is nothing short of amazing too I guess.
I must say, I think senjutsu is easily my favorite maiden opener of all time
I like it in the bridge but as a chorus... mmmm nah.

Very weird (but great) choice for the first song. By far the slowest opening song for a Maiden album; I have doubts that they will start shows with this one. Maybe Days of Future Past instead? Not that I want it to be replaced, it's an amazing song.

Agree with it being the best opener since TWM, what a strange way to start a Maiden album, kind of a power move to start with what will obviously be a divisive track and influence how you're going to feel going into the rest of the album depending on how you react to this one

The one word that keeps coming to mind when I hear this song is "powerful"! I can't wait to hear this one live. Nicko is on fire here, and the heavy riffs and atypical for Maiden solos really make this a unique experience. Beautiful chorus and fantastic lyrics. I think this will make an awesome show opener.

2 listens in, I like it a lot. The verse is very heavy for Maiden, which I like. I love vocal harmony in the verses as well.
The part between the verses is unique, I don't recognize the chord progression from any other song.
Great solo by Adrian, and a unique Dave solo with the flanger (I think).
Fantastic riff at around 3:30. A lot of tension in the drums throughout the song.

What exactly do you guys classify as the chorus here?

Amazing begining / outro, kind of lost in the middle. Great song by all means though.

Back