Security at concert venues

A

Anonymous

Hello Maiden Fans!

This past Monday (October 16) I went to the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Canada to see the one and only Iron Maiden!  This was the first time I had ever been to that particular venue and it was also the last time.

I have been to my fare share of metal concerts.  A lot of them being intense death metal bands (Deicide, Slayer, Cannible Corpse).  At these shows, I think the security staff does a decent job of making sure things don't get out of control.  I figured the security would be pretty tight at a hage venue like the ACC.  I had no idea I would be tossed from the concert for drinking a couple beers.  Is that not to be expected at a rock concert?

I could not have had more than three drinks before the security staff (4 of them to be exact) were surrounding me while I was sitting in my seat waiting for Maiden to hit the stage.  When I asked them politely what the problem was, they were incapable of giving me an answer.  They wouldn't even look at me.  All they could do was make a pathetic attempt to sound like a "wannabe police office" while talking into thier walki-talki.

How sad is this?  I can't even enjoy what little time off I have by having a few drinks at an Iron Maiden show with my buddies.  Just because some incompetent security guards with somthing to prove in their pathetic little jobs need to make an example out of someone because it was a "heavy metal" show with "metal heads" who may get "out of control and cause problems at our nice little venue".

Obviously not all security staff at the ACC have a behavior problem when given a litle taste of athority.  The problem is, I can't do anything.  I'm still trying to get a hold of the ACC general manager's email address.  For some reason, I "can't have it".  Go figure.

Here are my questions to the Maiden community: What other venues hire security guards like this so that I don't attend concerts there?  Have any other Maiden fans experienced a similar situation? 

Lets get the word out that this kind of behavior cannot be tollorated be security guards.

Adam Boduch

I had my water bottle confiscated.  I hate the fact that the venue can make such obscene decisions.  I understand that alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages should not be brought to the venue, but water?  Come on.  I guess they need a reason to charge you $3.75.

Back to the original point...
So you say you did nothing to provoke it.  I'm just asking; I don't know.  I'm sorry about your situation.  I would not be surprized to learn that security guards get paranoid because the management may hold them responsible if something happens that could cause vandalism.

There was one guy on the way home that was drunk to the point of self-embarrassment.  He did back flips in the Go Train for a slim chance to win a Maiden Tee.

My buddies and I were thrown out of an Alice and Chains concert not to long ago. While the reason was legitimate it is what happened afterwards that pissed me off. One of my buddies got drunk, we were in the mosh pit having a good time and one of the security guys was standing on the rim of it. My buddy was pushed towards him, the guard pushed him back in, my buddy turned and hit him, then he realized it was a guard and apologized. That wasn't enough, he was thrown out and we went out with him.

Now, at the concert EVERYBODY was wearing black t-shirts with either the bands name or some other emblem... what color shirt do the guards decide to wear? BLACK with the venues name in red... yeah, somebody will now who you are by looking at you, what retards.

Any way once we were outside the guards kept hounding my friend to leave the premesis, my other friend and I told them to leave him alone, that we would take care of him. It was VERY obvious my friend was quite intoxicated and their demands were unreasonable. Like at the venue you attended these guys were getting off on the fact that they had the power to kick you out... what fucks, they didn't even cared what happened to him. If we hadn't left with him god knows what would have happened to him.

adamboduch said:
ntense death metal bands (Deicide, Slayer, Cannible Corpse)
:lol:

Anyways, that's a bunch of garbage how you got kicked out for drinking. Might as well kick you out for having brown hair and being fat! *Looks in mirror* OH SHI-

"I could not have had more than three drinks before the security staff (4 of them to be exact) were surrounding me while I was sitting in my seat waiting for Maiden to hit the stage.  When I asked them politely what the problem was, they were incapable of giving me an answer."

Yeah right, sure........ You expect us to believe thats all that occurred? You did nothing else? Your story is bs. Yes I have seen security personnel behaving over zealous however one does not get kicked out for sitting in a seat drinking 3 beers. Period. There is a whole bunch missing here.

I'm inclined to agree with Irony here, there must be more to this story. Security guards might be assholes but they don't kick people out for just having a drink or 4.

I can't stand the fact that we can't bring in sealed bottles of water.  I have problems with dehydration, but there's no way I'm going to leave a show to go get some water during a show.  I just try and drink as much water as possible before the show.

thefrush said:
I can't stand the fact that we can't bring in sealed bottles of water.  I have problems with dehydration, but there's no way I'm going to leave a show to go get some water during a show.  I just try and drink as much water as possible before the show.

I agree as stated above.  I think this should be a legal issue.  This is definitely one of those cases where corporations have rights beyond what is reasonable.

Well I've seen Maiden twice, both times in the pit (is this what is the place right in front of the staga called?) and there was only one single problem - guards did not like when someone took pictures. There were some persons with beer and cigarette at the beginning but obviously, during the show no chance to get a beer. Our need of water was satisfied by a water we got from the guards in front of us (well maybe not guards but some medical support or what).

Back