Scary news

I was just listening to the radio and there is a phone in thing every day at this time. A guy rang up about how he has discovered the meaning of life and the secrets of life. He claims that the world will acsend into heaven soon and the Americans are the chosen people that will guide us there. Ok..... the guy that runs the radio show says: "you are barking mad!!" and this other guy denies it! Then he cuts him off. It reminded me of Lazlo's radio shows on GTA3 where he is always saying: "what the hell are you talking about??" and people ring in saying random, wierd things....

I wonder if the effects of global warming can be stopped or reversed or whatever. Like, is it based only on what people do? Or would it happen even if we did stop polluting, or even if we did not exsist. Do humans, and only humans cause global warming? If we do, then there is most likely a way to slow it or stop it. If not, I would say humanity is screwed. (oh well)

Well, a lot of the global warming is caused by the deplition of the ozone layer. ANd this is purely pollutions' fault. AS the emmision gases from casr and cause greenhouse effect to increase and the gas called freon, whcih destroys ozone if released in the atmosphere ( at least that's what i've heard), of course that global warming is probably our fault.

If we can stop it, that's a good quetion. Maybe that if we wouldn't polute at all, the effects could be dampend. AS far as the ozone layer, every electronic product, if working for long, produes small quantities of ozone, and i've put myself the same question. Couldn't the scientists make a device that would solely have this porpouse, ozone emmision?

Well, if global warming is happening now(and it is), where I live is probably one of the first places to feel the effects. I live about 1 to 2 hours away from L.A (depending on traffic), and there is so much smog, and so many cars, and so much shit going around in the air, water, etc. I hate it here. And the news says ( course you cant believe the news any more) that global warming has begun, and will cause our crops to dry up. Agriculture is our number one export. That is how my state survives. Not only will/does it hurt the balance of the economy, but it hurts daily life too. I find it harder and harder to go out and skate. Its so damn hot, i get so tired and sweaty, it sucks. California is fucked. So believe me, if there was a way to slow or stop global warming, count me in.

just to correct a few misunderstandings:

1. Global Warming and depletion of the ozone layer are two completely different things. Both are very important, but never the less need to be kept seperate. Freon has nothing (or very little) to do with emmision from cars etc.

2. Electric products repairing the ozone layer? Nice idea, but no. Just doesn't work that way. (if it did, we could save the world by playing maiden really loud for a really long time [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--] )

3. @ Still Life: The holes in the ozone layer move about and are not always over the same area. Smog also dissolves into the atmosphere and gives a pretty even CO2 layer, keeping in heat. The thing you should really worry about with smog, though, is acid rain. Scary stuff.

PS. I'm not trying to be mean or or sound really smart (yeah right) anything, just wanted to clear things up!

I know that freon has nothing to do with car emmisions. It's used(or was used, i don't know if it was banned) in fridges, as coolign spray

Edit_forgot to finsih my sentence [!--emo&:rolleyes:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

main sources of freon are spray cans and older refrigerators

[!--QuoteBegin-$yk0_H+Aug 18 2004, 04:45 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE($yk0_H @ Aug 18 2004, 04:45 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]acid rain. Scary stuff.

[snapback]83661[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Cancer, dude. Not only acid rain though. Asthma is another huge problem in young kids here. Kids my age have already basically adapted to the air(I think), but in small children, asthma is increasing dramatically. Their little lungs cant handle it. But I have a question though. When you mention the holes in the o-zone layer moving, your saying that it wont just keep getting hotter and hotter here. That the tempurature will stop rising until we create ourselves another hole. Is that right?

holes in the ozone layer cause more skin cancer and similar problems than it causes warming. Warming is in far greater part due to the greenhouse gasses, CO2 being the major problem. And any fossil burning creates SH4 (not sure on this one, havent had chemistry for like 4 years), which reacts with water in the atmosphere and turns into sulphuric acid = acid rain. It's a giant problem in e.g. London, except the rain doesn't fall there, but many miles east. Emissions have been reduced greatly in the past 20 or so years

Back