S/T original release question...and new member :)

Hey guys, new to the forums and first post. Massive maiden fan and been looking for a new Maiden forum for a while as i stoped posting on the offical boards years ago so hopefully i'll stick around and get to know some of you :)

But this isn't really an introduction thread, I have a question...

Im finally replacing all my own ripped 128kbps MP3 files of Iron Maiden's entire discography (including singles....) with FLAC as ive managed to find working torrents for the lot non-remastered (My own physical collection is the remasterd stuff mostly, but I perfer the sound of the originals). Now ive just played through the self titled album and found something odd at the end of Phantom of the Opera. There's about 10 seconds of silence after the music has finished then Paul Di'anno, in a rather warped effect, repeats "back at your layer". Now this is definitly not on the remastered version of the album and I dont recall hearing it elsewhere else so im wondering if this is a tid bit that was cut during the albums so called remastering or if its an error with the torrents source. Can anyone who has an original master shed some light on this?

Cheers

I recently got a hold of the black triangle edition of those albums, and noticed the same thing. Very strange indeed.

I have the US Capitol pressing from the 80s and that one doesn't have that part either.  In fact, I've never heard it.  Weird.

Silent_jay88 said:
Black Triangle Edition??? ><

If i'm correct, the black triangle editions are the highest quality, pre-remastered releases.  They are Japanese first pressings.  Since you download FLACS online, that is likely the version you have.  Very high quality.

chaosapiant said:
If i'm correct, the black triangle editions are the highest quality, pre-remastered releases.  They are Japanese first pressings.  Since you download FLACS online, that is likely the version you have.   Very high quality.
Yeah, after looking up info around here about them and having just finished listening to TNotB I think I do have the these BT versions. I've had originals before but these sound incredibly better! Much like how I remember but louder, yet not as loud and clippy like the awful '98 remasters. Online they were marked as original but there's noway they are the original masters of old. How far into the back catalog do they cover, im guessing it will end up reverting to originals with X Factor onwards?

The ones I have cover up to seventh son.  I know everything up to X Factor was remastered, but I think after seventh son, the remastering was inconsequential, so it doesn't matter.  I do notice they are not as loud, but much "fuller" when turned way up, with no clipping, and crystal clear sound.  Live After Death is amazing.

chaosapiant said:
The ones I have cover up to seventh son.  I know everything up to X Factor was remastered, but I think after seventh son, the remastering was inconsequential, so it doesn't matter.  I do notice they are not as loud, but much "fuller" when turned way up, with no clipping, and crystal clear sound.  Live After Death is amazing.
Ah hopefully NPFtD to RDO is just original EMI's or something then, or Jap pressings. Will need to find a new rip of Live at Donnington as thats obviously not with the set (not sure how easy that'll be, may just have to stick with the remaster). The rest I will re-rip myself, as well as the second disc of Live after Death... Ah which is next to play of this little TB marathon! Pretty excited, It's like Christmas!

Silent_jay88 said:
Now ive just played through the self titled album and found something odd at the end of Phantom of the Opera. There's about 10 seconds of silence after the music has finished then Paul Di'anno, in a rather warped effect, repeats "back at your layer".
It is not an error as those that are old enough to remember the original release will know of it fondly. It was just an effect that was added to the end with the last line repeated - it should say "you tortured me back at your lair". I have the original CD and it's on there (it was on the vinyl release as well - can't comment on the cassette) but I don't know why it was not put on the remastered edition.

Back