Roman Polanski arrested by Swiss police on 32 year old US sex charge

LooseCannon said:
cfh is referring to the act of engaging in sexual conduct with a minor
correct

Forostar said:
Cornfed, would you calm down a bit and read the article I posted?
I read the article, and as you can see from my posts, I'm quite calm.  Note, it was I who suggested that there may be mitigating circumstances, and that there was questionable (perhaps even improper) conduct by the superior court judge and the prosecutor in this case.  My point was that, when talking about crime and punishment, your dismissal of bright-line rules of law as "generalizations" didn't make sense to me, so I asked you to explain it.  The article does raise an interesting issue about the impact on the victim, but I have two thoughts:  First, on some level, it doesn't matter what the victim thinks.  Even if the victims don't want the criminals who injured them prosecuted, it should still be done.   Otherwise, people who can threaten and/or pay off victims can avoid justice.  Not saying that necessarily happened here -- though the articles in this thread indicate that there was, in fact, a civil settlement -- but you cannot base criminal prosecution decisions solely on what the victim wants.  For example, one could argue that every rape trial is traumatic for the victim.  But rapists should still be tried, else society is less safe.  Second, Ms. Gailey isn't exactly shying away from the media.  For example, she attended the premiere of the film about this case (which is fascinating, by the way, particularly as it describes the actions of the judge and prosecutor, though critics have called it a "whitewash" and a "rape apologia").  Don't misconstrue this as attacking the victim, I'm just saying she isn't shy about talking to the media, so talking about it for a couple of hours in a courtroom shouldn't be too traumatic.  

I certainly believe in compassion for the victim, and on some level I feel compassion for Polanski insofar as he went through an awful experience when Sharon Tate was murdered (the film reminded me that, for a short time, Polanski was even suspected of the crime, which had to compound the agony).  But I have little compassion for him as a result of his fugitive status and the "loss" of his "glittering" career -- in which he still made films, and won awards, long after his escape from justice.  I agree he's not on the same level as a war criminal, but that doesn't mean that his allegedly criminal conduct should be forgotten and forgiven by society. 

For what it is worth, the following passage (from a guy named Michael Wolff, quoted in NYTimes.com) is the best argument I've read AGAINST Polanski's arrest, and it has nothing to do with compassion.  Rather, it pertains to a subject near and dear to my heart, namely, cynicism about government motives:

Prosecutors ignored Polanski for 30 years because it was a terrible case in which the prosecutor’s office and the sitting judge, in the interest of getting publicity for themselves, had conducted themselves in all variety of dubious ways. But then, last year, a documentary, Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired, came out detailing all this dubiousness. So the first motivation for going after Polanski now, as it so often is with prosecutors, is revenge—Polanski and this film makes the DA look bad. The second is that the documentary reminded everybody that the LA prosecutor must be turning a blind eye to Polanski, wandering freely in Europe—hence the arrest now is the prosecutor covering his ass. The third is—and it’s curiously the success of the documentary that made the LA prosecutor’s office realize the brand name significance of the case—press. The headlines now sweeping the world are the prosecutor’s ultimate benefit. Many careers are suddenly advanced.  It could tell us quite a lot about the real motivations and real interest in Roman Polanski in the LA prosecutor’s office, about the sudden enthusiasm for Polanski’s capture and the convenient timing of it, if we just got the date and time—Polanski’s lawyers can certainly get this information through discovery requests—when they began to Google him, and when they set up the first alert.

Forostar said:
This is my point, Onhell.

No need to single me out when more than 3 people were asking the same thing... Foro.

Plus others have voiced the same opinion as me so no need for me to post on that.

LooseCannon said:
I know a lot about this particular disorder.  It may be that it is a disorder, it may be a sexual hardwiring, but it is the same thing - the person doesn't choose to be attracted to minors, he or she just is.  It's kinda how it is.  You can get help for it, same way you can get help for other mental disorders, but people are so stigmatized by it that they are often afraid to even ask - which is kinda where the offense cycle begins.

Amen, Loosey!

Cornfed, you didn't seem that calm when you started talking about brainwashing.

When I talked about generalizing and stigmatizing I meant I had the idea that you project your anger about certain cases on an individual. (e.g. The Thailand stories).

Onhell, I didn't mean to offend you. Initially the post only served as a reaction towards posts by cornfed and wasted, and later I realized that it also could serve as an answer to your question. So I mentioned your name in case you wouldn't realize this.

Yes, Foro.  But we don't know what the deal with Polanski is - because a. he's never had a psych profile done, and b. it's none of our business.  What we and the public know is that he skipped out on the justice system.  He should be returned to the US and he should be sent to prison.  Regardless of what his crime is.

@ Foro: I haven't been sleeping well at all the past couple of weeks, so I took it the wrong way. Thanks for the explanation...

Pedophiles usually have more than one victim. They tend to move on to another victim when their current one ages out.

I think that is the important word here: VICTIM. I understand Foro's point of view, but this isn't a case of orientation, deviance or kink. It is NOT like homosexuality, liking getting spanked or having a special thing for high heels...

LooseCannon said:
he's never had a psych profile done
I think he did.  He did go to jail for a few weeks to undergo a psychiatric evaluation, which was part of his plea bargain.  I don't think the results are public, other than that he was competent to stand trial. 

LC, what exactly defines the disorder of pedophilia?  Maybe I'm wrong -- and I am reluctant even to type this -- but isn't there a fundamental difference between someone who is sexually attracted to a six-year-old and someone who is attracted to a teenage model?  As I noted in an earlier post, I think we can all stipulate that a 16-year old Anna Kournikova was smokin' hot.  Doesn't mean we'd do anything, but it doesn't make us all pedophiles, either.  I realize that it was I who used the word "pedophile" in describing Polanski, which may have been inaccurate.  Maybe "scumbag" would have been a better term. 

By the way, anyone who thinks this guy is being mistreated should read the grand jury transcript:  http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/po ... over1.html

Cornfedhick: the word you're looking for is "ephebophile". Someone who goes after adolescents.

And I have to agree with the article: he's been punished enough. He lost a great deal of his career. He hasn't been able to visit the capital of his industry (Hollywood) for decades. He couldn't even accept his Oscar, arguably the pinnacle of achievement for his career. In the long run, he lost more by exile than he would have by a short jail time.

With jail time, he would have "paid his debt" and would eventually have been redeemed in the public eye - likely when he got that Oscar. The public tends to forgive crimes, given time. But without that "paid his debt" tag, he's never had that chance at redemption, and after this long he never will. And that's a much greater punishment than any jail time.

My only problem with that is that he got to choose his punishment.  If I do a crime, sure, I'd take exile in France over a prison anytime.  Is that right?  I don't think so.  Hell, Bernie Madhoff (sp?) would love to be exiled to Europe.  He didn't get to choose.

Honestly, how is being a coward and running away from your punishment, punishment? While not making as many movies as he would have wanted he still made movies, in prison your only work is forced and your choices are between reading, writing a book or working out...

Either way, yeah yeah, it's been a long time, yadda yadda, this and that, so we can give him a break.

The man got to go on the lam for 30 years, living a pretty fufilling life. He paid off his victim and fled. He is a coward, with all the resources he had at his disposal at the time, he chose to run. I hope they extradite him quickly so he can finally face what he's done.
SinisterMinisterX said:
Cornfedhick: the word you're looking for is "ephebophile". Someone who goes after adolescents.

And I have to agree with the article: he's been punished enough. He lost a great deal of his career. He hasn't been able to visit the capital of his industry (Hollywood) for decades. He couldn't even accept his Oscar, arguably the pinnacle of achievement for his career. In the long run, he lost more by exile than he would have by a short jail time.

With jail time, he would have "paid his debt" and would eventually have been redeemed in the public eye - likely when he got that Oscar. The public tends to forgive crimes, given time. But without that "paid his debt" tag, he's never had that chance at redemption, and after this long he never will. And that's a much greater punishment than any jail time.

That was his choice to run. He's had his chance for redemption. It's not a bad deal he took for himself, to go with no consequence, and continuing his career.

I've recently read an article where the famous actor Peter Fonda makes a statement that the international authorities should go after Osama Bin Laden and leave Polanski alone.  :huh:

That's like saying anything short of mass murder should be ignored. 

I agree with all the posters who said Polanski should have a day in court.

Genghis Khan said:
I've recently read an article where the famous actor Peter Fonda makes a statement that the international authorities should go after Osama Bin Laden and leave Polanski alone.   :huh:

That's like saying anything short of mass murder should be ignored. 

I agree with all the posters who said Polanski should have a day in court.
Peter Fonda may be a great actor, but he really needs to shut the fuck up. Polanski pleade guilty to a lesser charge of unlawful sexual intercourse of a minor. After he was initially cahrged with rape and sodomy. He is such a smooth operator with the ladies that he had to give his victim champagne and a quaalude.

US authorities don't have a convincing case: Roman Polanski is a free man

This news is 12 days old but certainly should be mentioned in this topic:
The US authorities don't have a convincing case: Roman Polanski is a free man.

Switzerland rejects US extradition of Roman Polanski

... The justice ministry said that the US authorities had failed to provide confidential testimony about Polanski's original sentencing procedure.

"The reason for the decision lies in the fact that it was not possible to exclude with the necessary certainty a fault in the US extraditionary request."

Polanski was originally charged with six offences including rape and sodomy over the 1977 case.

In 1978, he pleaded guilty to unlawful sex following a plea bargain. He served 42 days in a US prison.

He has always maintained he was promised a short sentence, but he fled the US after hearing rumours that the judge was about to re-sentence him for a much longer term. He has never returned to the US.

On Monday, the Swiss said that the US authorities simply had not clarified the issue of length of sentence and therefore had not made a convincing case for extradition.

The justice ministry added that that national interests were taken into consideration in the decision.

A Swiss official said the US cannot appeal the decision. ...

----

Back