Rime of the Ancient Mariner

How good is Rime of the Ancient Mariner on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: 'rime Of The Ancient Mariner'

What exactly are you trying to prove with that post?

Perun said:
What exactly are you trying to prove with that post?

:huh:
nothing to prove... I wanted to have it somewhere so everyone can share it

Perun said:
You quoted someone elses post, which usually means that you are replying to it. Apart from that, ever heard of this wonderful website: http://www.maidenfans.com/imc ?

the poem doesn't exist in the Commentary* -or I didn't see it- and I liked to have it somewhere independently from url links that can be down one day ....

as far as for the quote, I put it so someone to can compaire directly his analysis in 7 parts and the poem's 7 parts

------------
*edit*

[*]
yeap !! it exists ! it has even many wonderfull illustrations

what to say, if you think is right, you can delete my rime-posts, no problem !
if you don't delete them though, I will let 'em there for some time,
at least until the next commentary's update ....you never know

Hey, I got a quick question about the song.After the repeated A strumming and before the riff that opens the guitar solos, there seems to be a rumbling sound, and I don't think that was drums. What do you think?

Mmm...Donuts said:
Hey, I got a quick question about the song.After the repeated A strumming and before the riff that opens the guitar solos, there seems to be a rumbling sound, and I don't think that was drums. What do you think?

It's a recorded thunder effect...you can hear sampled raindrops falling as well, in the background (although it can be difficult to distinguish from static, depending on your CD player).  At least, I believe it is.

See, 'cos it comes after the line '...down falls the rain', so they had rain falling in the background? :p

Films about and the voice of Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Moved/edited my post to this topic, since these topics belong here:

Some people might be interested to know that (at least) four movies that have to do with the poem were made.

One was from 1975 --> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0207703/
But it's without visual actors. You see pictures (artwork) and you hear the voice of Michael Redgrave as the mariner, and 5 others. Big chance that this film might have led Steve to the poem and eventually to the song.

Another one came out two years later, this time with Orson Welles as narrator.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0196907/

In 1978 there was a movie about Samuel T. Coleridge and his inspiration for writing this poem. It's called
Clouds of Glory: The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

In 1925 a silent movie was made, called The Ancient Mariner. Unfortunately, it is presumed lost.

edit:
Welsh Phantom and Perun found the following info about the voice in Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Welsh Phantom said:
No, it was definatley Richard Burton, I'd recognise his voice anywhere.

A quick search will find he recorded the whole poem for the BBC in 1965.

See here:
http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 803AAyXkZS

I would bet my bottom dollar that it is taken from that recording. ;)

+

Perun said:
This bloke seems to know that it's Burton's voice:

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/music-records/p ... en/175387/

I have not been able to find a recording on the net. So far, however, I have found out that it appeared on a vinyl/cassette compilation of his readings and a "various artists" compilation CD.

My favorite song. The middle part is really boring. It's interesting but the door voices are coming really boring after some seconds. I always skip that part. But it's still the best song of Iron Maiden, and the best song of Metal history I think.

Yeah it's my fav too.I don't find the middle part boring, it's very nice and very interesting to play it on the bass.
I think the best version is that one from Flight 666

I really enjoy the middle section, I think it helps sets the mood of the song nicely and in it's own way expands on the story.

Also, I think the "This is what not to do when a bird shits on you" intro is one of the better intros to a song, amusing and to the point.

maidenhead1996 said:
My favorite song. The middle part is really boring. It's interesting but the door voices are coming really boring after some seconds. I always skip that part. But it's still the best song of Iron Maiden, and the best song of Metal history I think.

The best song of Metal history with minutes of boring content, which even gets skipped. That's quite apart.

maidenhead1996 said:

The middle section adds so much suspense to the song. I couldn't imagine Rime (or any other song with a slow middle (eg. SSoaSS) without the buildup to the climax!

Daily Song: Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

See his eyes as he gets 10/10.

Re: Daily Song: Rime of the Ancient Mariner

This is one of those songs that it should be criminal for giving anything less than 10 to.  Despite being Maiden's longest song, there is not a single dull moment on this album, and it doesn't get one bit repetitive.  It works fantastically live too, I hope to hear it again once.

My favorite Maiden song! The bass part is a bit long, but the part after that is ground breaking!

And down in falls comes the RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

One of Maiden's best, not doubt about that one. 10/10

Black_Thunder said:
And down in falls come the 10s!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Fixed that part.  ;)
This song is obviously among the best from Iron Maiden. Long aren't necessarily boring!

Back