Resequence A Maiden Album

I seem to remember that The Talisman was later in the set for the first few shows. I think you can see a screenshot of this in the ‘Behind the Beast’ documentary. I think it is pretty obvious why they moved it earlier in the set.
It was right before Fear of the Dark for the first show, then right before TETMD and then they moved it way up because Bruce's voice was in rough fucking shape and trying to sing Talisman towards the end of the set was a bad idea. It certainly paid off since by En Vivo he'd recovered and the version on that is probably better sung than the album version.

But I think Maiden do a good job of sequencing their records as it is. They always flow from track to track really well,
They are good at this, yes.
SSOASS needs some kind of expansion to be nearly as good as most people say it is.
Listening to the album yesterday, I realized that I was expecting another epic (7-8 minutes long, for example) to start after Only The Good Die Young. This (concept) album deserved to have another epic to go along with the title track. I really want that now, haha. I think I'm influenced by the Reunion albums, but SSOASS is a short album, espeically after SIT. One of Maiden's shortest albums overall. Still a masterpiece album!

I was also reminded that the album is full of really amazing melodies, something that is a trademark for Maiden and can only be matched/rivaled by a band like Helloween.
It certainly paid off since by En Vivo he'd recovered and the version on that is probably better sung than the album version.
Maybe all En Vivo versions of TFF songs are a bit better than the studio versions. Too bad they didn't play Avalon, King or Mercy.

Last edited:
Seventh Son is a short album and goes by fast, but I also believe it’s a lean album with zero fat. It’s all meat. Every vocal phrasing, every drum roll, every guitar riff, the production, the artwork, everything….it’s a masterclass.

Seventh Son is a short album and goes by fast, but I also believe it’s a lean album with zero fat. It’s all meat. Every vocal phrasing, every drum roll, every guitar riff, the production, the artwork, everything….it’s a masterclass.
True. I don't think Steve(!) would have written a weak song as a 9th song for the album, especially if it was a longer piece. The only 80's album with 2 or more long epics written solely by him is SIT and the songs are pure gold. SSOASS is the album with which Maiden reached their creative peak in the 80's.

Back