• ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Depends on the bandmember

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Depends on the replacement

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
Yax said:
It wasn't. He was a lot more mobile during that tour than Priest Feast. I do think though that they should've filmed two nights. I have a boot from a couple of weeks earlier and he sounded even better - The DVD show was a pretty mediocre compared to Jones Beach, which as I said, took place only like two weeks earlier. More clean highs etc. 
Yes, he has sounded quite good druing the HALFORD concerts. He's still pulling Resurrection off, and the clean high notes on Like there's no tomorrow that he does live are often executed with excellence.
Well I might check those shows out.

He sounds really good there. D&R is one of my favorite Priest songs, even though it is a cover.

Forostar said:
Dude, the rhythm section is a vital ingredient of Maiden's sound, more than any other band. Not that other drummers can't do it, but I wouldn't think to lightly about it.

Clive was very good as well, but a very different drummer. Better than Nicko when it comes to most of the songs from his era, but I wouldn't be so sure if he can do (when healthy) all the stuff Nicko has done. I remember an interview with Harris, in which he said that with the arrival of Nicko, Maiden's songwriting has changed/broadened.
To clarify my point, I think Nicko could be replaced for a live tour, not on an album. In fact to the extent that Nicko has changed Clive's parts without anyone really complaining proves my point. And by the way, my he's just a drummer line was tongue and cheek. At this point I think all 6 are in for the not so long haul and when IM calls it quits, it will be this lineup that finishes.

You should check out footage from the Virtual tour. Nicko is essential live and in studio.

Eddies Wingman said:
Well, if Dave fell ill during a tour I'd rather see them going on with H and Janick than cancelling shows.
I'd rather see them throwing Satriani in.  :D

Habberdasher said:
The Beast Over Hammersmith disagrees! :bigsmile:
No it  doesn't  Listen to the difference between the Virtual songs live and in studio. The drumming is VERY different. Not anything too noticeable in Beast Over Hammersmith.

I really don't know how to decide, almost all opinions in this thread are true from one point of view. I'd probably go even if I was to see only one member.. but playing Maiden stuff incomplete is just weird..

NightProwler666 said:
Imagine this situation: a member of Iron Maiden can't tour because of health/law/family problems. Tour starts in a week and the band decides to find a replacement to fill-in for the missing member until he can return. Would you go to the concert and support the band, or you think "it's not REAL Iron Maiden without that member"?

It depends..

Music is a business. Sometimes money has already been invested/spent and it's not economical to stop the ball from rolling, so bands will continue to tour with a temporary replacement and fans will go to see the show.

Personally, I feel like it's not the same if a band has stand-ins.. but as I said, sometimes money has already been spent and if I have my ticket already, then I'll go all the same.

And just to add as a side note... I have no interest in doing anything solely for the purpose of "supporting" bands or anyone's musical lifestyle.

I think maiden is really unique in this situation. Maybe it's because they've never been confronted with this problem. But other bands, like Pink Floyd for example, can have a stand in and no one seems to care but I think if anyone got replaced for a show or tour, (except for maybe Janick, which is unfortunate) a lot of people would be really disappointed.

Even if Gers was missing/replaced for a show or tour, I think I would probably still have that "It's not quite the same" feeling, even if only slightly. Basically, I've paid to see the full band perform and that's what I want to see.

I know most people on this board would feel the same, but I was thinking more of the general fan base who know maiden's golden era the most.

Back