Votes: 10 31.3%
  • ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Depends on the bandmember

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Depends on the replacement

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
I'd give it a shot and go see them, but my obvious preference would be to see the band exactly as-is. 

Replaced:

Steve: no chance
Bruce: no chance
Dave/Adrian: replace with Janick
Janick: don't bother (just go back to 2 guitarists)
Nicko: sure replace him, he's just the drummer. Maybe Clive?

Habberdasher said:

Dude, the rhythm section is a vital ingredient of Maiden's sound, more than any other band. Not that other drummers can't do it, but I wouldn't think to lightly about it.

Clive was very good as well, but a very different drummer. Better than Nicko when it comes to most of the songs from his era, but I wouldn't be so sure if he can do (when healthy) all the stuff Nicko has done. I remember an interview with Harris, in which he said that with the arrival of Nicko, Maiden's songwriting has changed/broadened.

Habberdasher said:
Replaced:

Steve: no chance
Bruce: no chance
Dave/Adrian: replace with Janick
Janick: don't bother (just go back to 2 guitarists)

Clive's got MS. Besides, calling Nicko "just" the drummer is heresy.

At this point, taking any of them out would change the sound.  It is a matter of degrees, I think Janick is the most expendible, but it would still change the sound.  Nikko deservers a ton of credit in Maiden, not a lot of drummers can effectively play everything from the shorter metal rockers to the longer proggy-metal tracks as well as him.  He does a lot of subtle things that really add to the songs moreso than drummers in most bands I listen to.

I'd go to see them.

However, if such a circumstance were to arise, I'd bet on them canceling versus carrying on with stand in members.

the only way i could stomach a Bruce replacement would be if he got sick/injured right before a Festival gig and an on-form Rob Halford offered to step up on stage.

I think he could pull it off and keep most fans relatively happy

Yea he would probably be the only one. Maybe Kiske.

Halford in this state? There's a reason why Priest have their last tour this year. He can't remember lyrics, he moves like a rusty robot, and his voice isn't as good as, let's say 10 years ago.

Forostar said:
Halford in this state? There's a reason why Priest have their last tour this year. He can't remember lyrics, he moves like a rusty robot, and his voice isn't as good as, let's say 10 years ago.
:ok: I totally agree.

Forostar said:
Ozzy and a load of others, like Coverdale, Gillan etc use teleprompters. It's not something that's unique to Rob - And I'm yet to hear him sing the wrong lyrics, so the teleprompter works.

But yeah, Rob's high notes are not in as good shape (live - Hell Razor from his latest solo album could just as well have come from Stained Class) as 2001 - At that time he was still flawless.  Although an on-form Rob can still belt it out (there are some good boots out there) and could fill in  for BRuce. Some nights his highs are as good as 10 years ago.

There are some horrible performances too though, sadly.

I honestly can't think of one Maiden song Halford would sound good on.  Not because his vocals are awful these days, which they are (especially live), but just because his sound doesn't really fit Maiden at all.

Donner said:
I honestly can't think of one Maiden song Halford would sound good on.  Not because his vocals are awful these days, which they are (especially live), but just because his sound doesn't really fit Maiden at all.
As I said, check out Hell Razor for some retro 70's Halford anno 2010.

But yeah, some live performances are horrible. Like Painkiller, Rock hard ride Free, (Sinner worked at times). Freewheel Burnings works in distorted falsetto but if you compare it to how it's supposed to be sung, it's not  very good. And Hell Patrol does not work when you sing the high notes one octave lower. It ruins the song.

But again, Hell Razor is Halford in terrific shape.

Donner said:
I honestly can't think of one Maiden song Halford would sound good on.  Not because his vocals are awful these days, which they are (especially live), but just because his sound doesn't really fit Maiden at all.

Hmm I always imagined Bruce singing Priest's Hell Patrol so why could Halford not do some Maiden?

Well, I think Halford could do Be Quick or Be Dead or From Here to Eternity pretty good seriously. He can do a rough voice pretty well. He is good in fast work. He has that excellent aggressive sharp phrasing with the precise articulation Bruce possesses as well.

Wrathchild, Man on the Edge, Lord of the Flies...I seriously can hear Halford do those songs. The Final Frontier, and even Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (both these title tracks) too, just try to imagine it with Rob and it works. If I would think some more minutes, I am sure some more songs would pop up. Like Yax says, if he's in good shape he can do it. But for me Halford is a studio master and I hope Priest will continue with studio work if they won't tour (excessively) anymore.

Forostar said:
  :blink: Really? Well I'll have to watch my British Steel live DVD again. I didn't realize it was that bad. I still really want to be able to see them before they quit.

Stallion Duck said:
 :blink: Really? Well I'll have to watch my British Steel live DVD again. I didn't realize it was that bad. I still really want to be able to see them before they quit.
It wasn't. He was a lot more mobile during that tour than Priest Feast. I do think though that they should've filmed two nights. I have a boot from a couple of weeks earlier and he sounded even better - The DVD show was a pretty mediocre compared to Jones Beach, which as I said, took place only like two weeks earlier. More clean highs etc. 

Wickerman 32 said:
I just saw Halford on Ozzfest last summer and he sounded great!
Yes, he has sounded quite good druing the HALFORD concerts. He's still pulling Resurrection off, and the clean high notes on Like there's no tomorrow that he does live are often executed with excellence.

Yax said:
As I said, check out Hell Razor for some retro 70's Halford anno 2010.

But yeah, some live performances are horrible. Like Painkiller, Rock hard ride Free, (Sinner worked at times). Freewheel Burnings works in distorted falsetto but if you compare it to how it's supposed to be sung, it's not  very good. And Hell Patrol does not work when you sing the high notes one octave lower. It ruins the song.

But again, Hell Razor is Halford in terrific shape.

To be fair, I listened to Made of Metal once and was so put off at how atrocious it was I never bothered with subsequent listens.  Hell Razor was one lone bright moment on there for sure.

Zare said:
Source, please?

I remember reading it, I think it was in an old fan club booklet. I'll tr and dig it out when I get a chance and post the actual quotes. All my old Maiden news letters are in the attic :(
Unknown One said:
Only because most people can't cope with change.

Change can be good and fresh....just not in this case. And that's not coming from a "Blaze sucks" place, it's just Bruce Dickinson is irreplaceable.

Donner said:
To be fair, I listened to Made of Metal once and was so put off at how atrocious it was I never bothered with subsequent listens.  Hell Razor was one lone bright moment on there for sure.
I first thought it to be "meh" too. But after a few listens it grew on me - save for the crappy production. Some songs are great and others ok, and some sub par. To me anyway.

Back