Remember Tomorrow

How good is Remember Tomorrow on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
This song just gets worse ever time I listen to it. Di'Anno sounds really bad, it attempts a lot of introspective stuff and tries to create an atmosphere but never gets anywhere. Some lyrical things are rather questionable ("I shall return from out of the... oh?") and as a whole it's just pointless. I get why a lot of people like this, but I... don't. One of their worst songs. 1

Do you prefer the live version with Bruce or is the difference negligable as you still don't like the song?
The live version is a bit better than the studio one, but I still think it's a poor song overall.

I'm just baffled as to why you gave it a one though. It's one of Maiden's early classics. Judging by the ratings, a good majority of the forum would agree. It's one of the most heartfelt songs they've done, a tremendous peak in the middle. Davey also has one of my personal favorite solos in this song.

I just think you should explain a bit better why this song is so deserving of a one.

Because I just don't like it. As far as Maiden goes, this is the absolute abyss. I get that people love it, but I really, really don't. The middle section kills whatever atmosphere it was trying build up, the lyrics are trying to create something that isn't there, and the music is quite icky. The riff that follows the verses is decent, but would have been better used in another song. In short - it's as bad as Maiden have ever gotten, to my ears.

"'Is about giving up on everything." (Paul Di'Anno for Malcom Dome – Record Mirror – March 1, 1980)

Solos

2:39 Dave Murray
3:08 Dennis Stratton / Adrian Smith '81-'89 / Janick Gers '93 / Adrian Smith '05

Live History

Early UK Concerts 1979 (5); Metal For Muthas Tour (4); Judas Priest – British Steel Tour (4); Europe 80 (4); Reading Festival ’80 (4); Kiss Unmasked Tour 1980 (3); Women In Uniform – Autumn Tour (3); Live At The Rainbow (3); Killer World Tour (4); Judas Priest – Worldwide Blitz Tour – USA (1st Leg) (3); Bruce Dickinson Warm Up Tour (5); Iron Maiden As Genghis Khan Concert (4); Real Live Tour – Europe (First 5 Dates) (6); Real Live Tour – Europe, UK & Russia (5); Eddie Rips Up The World Tour (5) & Clive Burr Ms Trust Fund 2005 (5).

Like this info? Get my book by subscribing here: https://www.subscribepage.com/luisma666

Good song. The highlights are the verses and the fast middle part with the solos. Great end to the song with the screams (when they are done by Bruce, ofc). The song is way better live - the version from Ullevi is unsurpassable. Early classic. 8/10

The lyrics for this song were written by Di’Anno and according to
himself, concern his grandfather, although their meaning is unclear. The same
has also stated that the title phrase is an opinion which
often used by his grandfather to emphasize its importance
optimism, planning and insight.
It has been supported, without ever being confirmed by the band,
that Di’Anno’s grandfather was a pilot of the Royal Air Force
Britain during World War II. This version helps to
interpret some of the lyrics, such as “scan the horizon the clouds take me
higher, I shall return from out of the fire! ” which can be considered as
words of a pilot or the reference to the "eye that sees everything", which can
perceived as a simulation of an airplane headlight.
It has also been argued that the lyrics seem to describe them
illusions and emotional transitions of someone who smokes
opiate or cannabis drugs.

Instead of keeping the firepower of the first song flowing, the band strip things down for this second song to showcase their versatility as musicians. A quasi-ballad, “Remember Tomorrow” also has great music but a bit of an iffy performance from Paul. He doesn’t sound completely terrible, but his quieter singing sounds much thinner and when he goes for the high note at the end of the second verse it’s… not good. But the music makes up for his shortcomings. There are heavier and faster moments in this song in addition to the quiet stretches, making it a well-rounded and dynamic tune. It has its flaws but I still think that it’s quite good overall. Rounding down to a 7/10.

Fantastic lyrics and a great attempt at a half ballad. It's interesting that such a relatively "slow" song would be placed as the second track on the original pressing of the debut. Paul shows a completely different side of his vocals. I think I prefer the studio version to the live ones, because live they played it at some breakneck speeds, robbing the song of its weight. One of the stronger tracks on the album and a bit closer to what I appreciate about Maiden. A good and early 7.

This is IMO Paul's best vocal performance in Iron Maiden. Bruce could never sing this song as could as Paul did. 10/10.
First divergence compared to 2011 NP.

I agree that it's Paul's best vocal performance and that Bruce could never do it justice. However, I think all of its live versions can't capture the original, which in itself is not perfect either. 8/10

pretty divided on this one. lyrically, it's pretty dope. but the pacing is just... off. it's way too slow in the beginning, and then it gets super fast with no real buildup, and then it just suddenly goes slow again, and it just feels weird. there are highlights, though. both solos from dave and dennis are good, and it's interesting seeing this new side of paul's vocals after the punk-y prowler that comes before (at least in the spotify release of the album). but i feel like the whole slow-paced thing is done better in strange world.

6/10. sadly my least favorite in the album.

Back