Record Mirror and Iron Maiden

Luisma

Years Wasted
Hello, Maidenites, Happy new year! Hope all the best for all you in the 2015 year.

I've been reading some early reviews about Maiden in the very early days in various clippings a friend of mine has. There's one in particular I want to read that I haven't seen in his collection and maybe anyone in here has it or even a transcript of it. The one I'm looking for is one published in the Record Mirror Magazine on May 24, 1980. Is a long review of the debut album that I really want to see so if anyone has it please post a picture of it here!

Thanks!

Trawl ebay. As you know the date, you will have a fair chance of finding a copy or cuttings from that issue. May take some time, but things come up now and then. If you put the work in, you will find it.

Oh Gerald! I wish it was that easy! See, I live in Venezuela and our economy SUCKS big way so it would be expensive and risky to but the issue I mention, which, as you comment is easy to find on ebay, that's why I'm asking if anyone has it and can make a scan or transcript of it... Anyway thanks a lot for your reply. Hope you have a great day

Here's a copy for sale on eBay UK right now @Luisma :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RECORD-MI...418205520?pt=UK_Magazines&hash=item20ed2e9150

$_12.JPG

The seller will ship to you: it's £18 all-in to ship to Venezuela.
Is that too much, or is it just you don't have a means to pay someone in the UK?

That's a lot of money believe me! That's why I don't buy it, besides it would be crazy to pay for just a clipping I want. However, I truly appreciate your reply.

Someone has sent me part of the review I'm looking for! and I copied it below. Now I'm only missing the first 2 paragraphs so if anyone can help I'll greatly appreciated it

FIRST TWO PARAGRAPHS MISSING

"... All that doesn't take into account the phenomenal achievement of the band's debut album, eight tracks of wondermetal mayhem which somehow relays the individual spirit of the Maiden stage act into the living room with very little loss of quality. From the opening fury of 'Prowler' through such fave raves as 'Phantom Of The Opera' and 'Transylvania' to the closing might of the eponymous title track, 'Iron Maiden' never gives anything but total enjoyment and is, undoubtedly, the finest debut effort on the hard rock front since Van Halen's opening shots.

While we're talking about the album, it seems like a good moment to call in vocalist Paul Di'Anno. Was he astounded with the final outcome?

'Well, yeah, a little bit, but I don't wanna say that the band were entirely happy with it because if you react that way to anything you do then there is a good chance of laziness and complacency creeping in, which we don't want to happen. What really stunned us about the album has been the way it's selling. We expected it to enter the charts at something like number 18 to 20 and it genuinely surprised us when we heard that it had gone straight in at number four.'

So far, about 50,000 units have been shifted – irrefutable statistical evidence of Maiden's foregoing popularity nationwide." RECORD MIRROR May 24, 1980

Still looking for this, if anyone could help really appreciate it. I don't want to buy the magazine, just want a scan or complete the words that I am missing so pleeeeeaseee if anyone can help...

It's been almost a year since I asked for this, maybe someone has access to the review or has the magazine by now... I'm trying now to fill the x's in my transcript:

"Strange how a matter of a mere three months can change a band from being virtual unknown to national phenomena, isn't? Back then, the lads were xxxx on the London metal scene, yet had still make an impact on the xxxxx the country. After all, their only vinyl product was a three track, self-financed EP, the 'Soundhouse Tapes,' which was being distributed completely by mail order..."

Back