Rant Thread

I was expecting this type of answer, and that’s totally fine. Just pointed out something I’ve noticed, I’m not angry about it or anything, but the rant thread seemed most fitting for this.
Oh I know, I've been called a "grumpy grandpa" since my early 20s and I still am. My friends say I'm Clint Eastwood in Gran Turino lol. But given I teach people 18-22, I ask them for help. I saw a meme a year ago and I told my students. "That's when I realized I'm old, I didn't understand a single word," so as a warm-up exercise I had them "translate it" for me.

Not a rant really, just a fucked of life: first day at work today after a great vacation, got a headache within an hour or so, and five or six things to worry and be angry about.

The edit function exists lol, no one would be the wiser, but we wouldn't be as entertained either

Prefacing this by clarifying that I'm 30+ and have only had my driver's license for four years.

Until today, I had never driven a pure EV - not even a hybrid. I've always liked the idea of hybrids/electrics over petrol/diesel. At least until today.

My employer gave me an EV to drive from southern Sweden to Stockholm. They told me that it had 270 km range and 20 min to a full charge using a fast charger.

A journey that has taken me 6h30m on a petrol car before took me 13h30m. An hour of driving, an hour+ worth of charging was rinsed and repeated five times during that time.

We ain't there yet. We are far, far, faaaaar away from being there.

Prefacing this by clarifying that I'm 30+ and have only had my driver's license for four years.

Until today, I had never driven a pure EV - not even a hybrid. I've always liked the idea of hybrids/electrics over petrol/diesel. At least until today.

My employer gave me an EV to drive from southern Sweden to Stockholm. They told me that it had 270 km range and 20 min to a full charge using a fast charger.

A journey that has taken me 6h30m on a petrol car before took me 13h30m. An hour of driving, an hour+ worth of charging was rinsed and repeated five times during that time.

The biggest problem is there is no standard in chargers. Just like the EU was able to force Apple's hand into switching to USB-C, Something has to happen, so Tesla and other EV makers use the same charger. This leads to the issue that no one buys EVs, because there aren't enough charging stations, never mind in the cities themselves, but for trips such as yours too. This in turn desentivices manufactures from investing in building more stations which leads to a chicken/egg problem. Are people not buying EVs because of the lack of charging stations or are manufacturer's not investing in charging stations, because people aren't buying EVs? Somthing's gotta give and soon.

Have you followed the Right to Repair bill drama in the US, Onhell?
Yup. Also spearheaded by the EU, but I believe a bill recently passed in the state of California for people to have the right to go to third party repair shops or get the tools and repair them themselves.

a bill recently passed in the state of California for people to have the right to go to third party repair shops or get the tools and repair them themselves.

Things look good on paper but there are a lot of caveats judging on how it has been implemented in Apple. The terms that Apple gives to authorize third parties are hardly sustainable not to mention that the scope is extremely limited, there are no schematics given but most importantly finding most of the parts is nearly impossible.

Practically the only way to find genuine parts is look from second hand after market and in some cases Apple puts software limitations so even if part is genuine, a kind of error or missing function will appear (i.e. status of battery health)

This is the result of strong competitive lobbying against judges that do not know the technicalities behind the words. And on the other side, a group of small time repair shop owners with very limited means to promote their case and influence on lawmakers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...htning-needs-improvement-charging-issues.html

One more thing I hadn't thought about until my friend told me. I live in a touristic city which doubles (sometimes triples) its population in summer months. Since he works in local electricity department, he said our infrastructure barely makes it some days. He said, if you took even small percentage of cars that are on road during that time, turn them electric and plugged 'em in overnight - the system would collapse.

For fucks sake, it's time for Europe to wake up. Those immigrants who live in free world but supports/endorses/helps and promotes terrorism must be deported. Mercilessly. You can have your identity but must abide to laws of the country you live in. If any liberal still wonders how citizens become super conservative.... after such events has no right to wonder. Also ghetto's in european cities must be reformed. It's the nesting place for bad ideas. Also, immigrants must work to have money, not live from allowances. These times are when Europe must reconsider it's immigration politcs.

You don’t get it. What you describe didn’t happen by accident, it’s by design; immigrants especially illegal ones are useful to drive wages lower and local workers in limbo, not too demanding for their rights.

In China and UAE it’s extremely difficult to work without papers as there’s tight control and it’s quite difficult to be provided with a working permit as you need to prove (in case of China) that a local cannot do what you are supposed to do.

Having lived in those two countries I know it’s possible a government to control the flow, if it wants. But they don’t. It’s called Capitalism.

Dear strangers, dear those who barely know me and my facial expressions. You asked if I'm concerned/sad/angry. I told you: I'm fine. Well that's it. You're either wrong or it's nonya. You're not getting a different answer next time. Or the times after that. I did hear, though, that if you catch me when I feel particularly brave, I might tell your face you suck at reading people. So keep fucking prodding I guess.

I'm hard-pressed to think of anything more disgusting than tobacco smoke in the cold morning air.

I'm hard-pressed to think of anything more disgusting than tobacco smoke in the cold morning air.

Does that entail every tobacco? Because even people who hate cigarettes with a passion have always complimented the smell of the pipe tobacco I use (lit or unlit, it smells wonderfully) and I would like to keep thinking you might possibly not hate it? :D

Then again, who'd have the time to light a pipe on a work day at 7:30 in the morning? :)

It's the very specific combination of tobacco smoke and cold morning air, especially at a bus stop, and I don't care where the smoke is coming from. I'm usually to busy trying not to retch to pay attention to that.

Ah, a cigarette smoke then. I sleep comfortably knowing that anything pipe-related is unrecognisably different - probaby closer to incense or even actual burning leaves. A perfect autumnal complement. Pity I'm getting over a cough, so I don't dare smoke it now, to not irritate my throat, otherwise it's a perfect comination - chilly autumnal air, golden leaves falling down, Tolkien opened in my lap and a pipe. :wub:

Trains!:mad:
My train had a delay of 14 minutes.
Eventually it came but then had to stop for another train which had technical problems.
Another 10 minute delay. Conclusion: the train didn´t go all the way to the final station but stopped a station earlier. There I can take another train...which has a delay of 7 minutes.
Final Conclusion: I certainly can´t make the connection anymore so have to take a bus to get at my final destination.

So, after antisemitic remarks, Musk is meeting with Netanyahu. Imo, it's perfect example of cynicism. Damage control and nothing more. Seriously, fuck him!

Back