Rant Thread

Rejected for another job after the 1st round.

That takes the tally to 55 rejections with no interviews, 45 applications with no response, and 8 interview processes without getting the job. And I started applying about a year ago. Also, there are lots more applications with no response, but those companies didn't send me a confirmation email so I didn't add them to the list.

I'm honestly pretty depressed by this. It feels like I'll never be able to get out of this company.

Next time I get an interview I'll try a different tactic of lying and hyping up myself more.

Rejected for another job after the 1st round.

That takes the tally to 55 rejections with no interviews, 45 applications with no response, and 8 interview processes without getting the job. And I started applying about a year ago. Also, there are lots more applications with no response, but those companies didn't send me a confirmation email so I didn't add them to the list.

I'm honestly pretty depressed by this. It feels like I'll never be able to get out of this company.

Next time I get an interview I'll try a different tactic of lying and hyping up myself more.

Don't despair. This is a global crises. A professor once told me that when the economy is doing well people will hire just about anyone practically right away. When the economy sucks they get REEEEEAAALLY picky and it is much harder to find work. And wouldn't you know it, the economy has sucked ass pretty much since COVID. So it's not you, it's them. I know it sounds like a cliche break up line, but it's true. You'll find something, it's only going to take a little longer.

I just saw all the stuff about trains and well... being extremely late to that party I won't add to it. Also, this isn't so much a rant as an observation, but honestly didn't know where else to put it.

I barely noticed something that was right in front of me the whole time. In class we were looking at ways to compare past, present and future and we were talking about how life was like before the internet. My students don't know that life. Not only did they grow up with internet, they grew up with fast speed internet and wi-fi. So I have to tell them about the dark ages before youtube, facebook and twitter.

And that's when it hit me. These kids don't have a shared pop culture. When I was teenager we all listened to the same radio stations, watched the same shows on TV, had parasocial relationships with morning news hosts and late night DJs. We all watched The Simpsons and Unsolved Mysteries. Now I ask, "Did you guys watch the latest Stranger Things?" "No teacher, I don't have Netflix." "Did you guys watch Game of Thrones?" "I don't have HBO." "Did you watch the Expanse?" "I don't have Prime." They don't listen to the radio, much less the same DJs, because they have Spotify or Apple Music. What really drove it home for me is that a local soccer game of the professional league wasn't going to be televised over the free channels, but would only be available on Fox Sports.... A cable channel. So not even the most popular sport in a game of the most popular local team could be watched "by everyone," because you need to have cable. Like... WTF? These kids already make me feel old, this made me feel ancient.

There are two metalheads that are playing loud some metalcore-nu metal-grindcore-brutal death metal stuff outside my building, right under my flat, and they are doing air-guitar and hairbanging gymnastic in front of the astounded eyes of pedestrians. Despite the fact I'm doing some house-cleaning now with the TV news on, I can't bear this "noisy" stuff (one hour of that) right now, as I wanted to come back to the writing of my Judas Priest review just after the cleaning in 5 minutes. But, even with the headphones on I can hear their "horrible" music. Can't wait for these guys to go away quickly for I can listen to 'Invincible Shield' once again but in a more peaceful environment. :facepalm:

EDIT : they just left the place and now I can go back to the writing of my review, yay !!! :yey:

Last edited:
Thanks, automated macOS virus scanner, for deciding to shit the bed and eat up more and more memory until you turn my system into a barely functional thrashfest, constantly swapping memory to and from the disk until the system pukes.

Thanks, Apple, for not acknowledging this issue or mentioning anything about whether you're planning to fix it or if it's already fixed.

Thanks, @Jer, for wasting entirely too much time triaging the problem, narrowing down the source, turning off virus scanner updates and ultimately turning off the entire virus scanning system, only to see that the goddamned virus scanner somehow still decides to run itself anyway, invariably shitting the bed yet again, forcing me to write a script to spot this piece of shit process and kill it, and then have the root crontab run it every minute in order to keep my system afloat.

And thanks again, Apple, for apparently fixing this issue without mentioning it, forcing me to accidentally figure out that it's solved by turning all the virus scanning bullshit back on again while experimenting with a less aggressive workaround, only to see that my time no longer needed to be wasted.

At least you're still not as bad as Microsoft.

My company has expanded to the Macedonian market because they are cheaper than us and it seems like the ultimate goal is to get rid of all of us in Serbia in favor of cheap Macedonian labor.

All spearheaded by my dumbass boss, the Macedonian Cunt. @Gk1 was right all along about Macedonia.

022.jpg

Remember when Macs "didn't get viruses"?
Yeah. Still sort of true, but not fully true anymore. It's also odd that Apple rolled virus/malware scanning into the main OS without really telling anybody, and the visibility into what it's doing is close to zero.

Yeah. Still sort of true, but not fully true anymore. It's also odd that Apple rolled virus/malware scanning into the main OS without really telling anybody, and the visibility into what it's doing is close to zero.
That's pretty standard for how Apple sees macOS these days, they really do want the user to not have any thoughts towards it. Power users can still do stuff but one of the reasons I stay away from macOS is the way Apple treats end users (as idiots).

That's pretty standard for how Apple sees macOS these days, they really do want the user to not have any thoughts towards it. Power users can still do stuff but one of the reasons I stay away from macOS is the way Apple treats end users (as idiots).
I was perfectly fine with that 20 years ago when I had my blue iMac and was using the iLife suite, particularly iMovie, to make my school projects. I have become more hesitant to go back though, I downloaded Da Vinci Resolve, but I feel very lost. Will have to look at a few Youtube tutorials and fiddle with it considerably until I feel fully competent with it.

Remember when Macs "didn't get viruses"?
Would the change have anything to do with when they changed to Intel chips and became dual boot (MacOS/Win) machines?

Power users can still do stuff but one of the reasons I stay away from macOS is the way Apple treats end users (as idiots).
Since I don't use my computer for gaming, and I hate Microsoft with a passion, Apple is the best compromise for me, because I can get a modern UI for usual stuff, but I can still open a Unix-style terminal to get down and dirty when I need to, and I can compile most Linux-friendly stuff for macOS too. But yeah, Apple stuff is overpriced and they treat end users like boobs (don't get excited, @chaosapiant).

Since I don't use my computer for gaming, and I hate Microsoft with a passion, Apple is the best compromise for me, because I can get a modern UI for usual stuff, but I can still open a Unix-style terminal to get down and dirty when I need to, and I can compile most Linux-friendly stuff for macOS too. But yeah, Apple stuff is overpriced and they treat end users like boobs (don't get excited, @chaosapiant).
Why don't you go full Linux? I don't because I'm the idiot who likes it simple, but clearly you can tinker with it.

Why don't you go full Linux? I don't because I'm the idiot who likes it simple, but clearly you can tinker with it.
Because Linux is still too fiddly, and you can’t run normal commercial software on it without a bunch of emulation and tweaking that might break at any moment. Yes, there are Linux distros that try to keep things simple, but it tends to be more of a hassle than I want to deal with for a general-purpose computer. And macOS lets me do pretty much anything I’d want to do on a Linux box anyway, but with all the pluses of a mainstream OS too.

That said, once my Intel iMac reaches end of support with Apple, I might very well reimage it with Linux and just use it as a web browsing machine, because that 27” Retina display is still quite nice, and with Linux I’d continue to get security updates once Apple stops offering them. We’ll see.

Because Linux is still too fiddly, and you can’t run normal commercial software on it without a bunch of emulation and tweaking that might break at any moment. Yes, there are Linux distros that try to keep things simple, but it tends to be more of a hassle than I want to deal with for a general-purpose computer. And macOS lets me do pretty much anything I’d want to do on a Linux box anyway, but with all the pluses of a mainstream OS too.

That said, once my Intel iMac reaches end of support with Apple, I might very well reimage it with Linux and just use it as a web browsing machine, because that 27” Retina display is still quite nice, and with Linux I’d continue to get security updates once Apple stops offering them. We’ll see.
Nice, I'm currently looking for a bare bones laptop and they don't seem to exist anymore outside of Chromebooks. I have a chromebook I can't use because of the issue you mentioned, the digital textbooks are either windows or Mac based and won't open on ChromeOS. I had (like a decade ago) an HP chromebook wannabe, basically, an "always connected" glorified tablet, but now I can't seem to find them by any other maker other than Google.

I shared this image today on my facebook:

1710521927868.png

I Didn't notice that the original poster had captioned it with a "free Palestine!" I shared it because I think it is ridiculous the U.S feels Tiktok spying is bad, but Google, Meta, X, CIA, NSA, FBI spying is fine. It is hypocracy at a pathological level.

Anyway, a Jewish friend of mine asked me if I was one of THOSE free palestine people. I just asked him, "So we can't have our own opinions?" To which he answered "Not When one of those opinions supports people who openly call for the genocide of me and my people" And then he blocked me.

I feel like such a dad, because honestly, I'm not even mad, just very dissapointed. I'm disappointed in his childish behavior of blocking rather than engaging, in his black and white world view, in not supporting free speech even if it is speech you disagree with and more importantly in his lumping of a small group of people with the rest of the population.

We criticize the right for intolerant, and racist, and all other "ists" and "isms," when the left can be just as intolerant. I have friends and family members on boths sides of several hot topics, COVID, Russia, Israel, etc. They continue to be my friends and family and I don't think any less of them for holding different opinions than me. We all have our reasons however correct or misguided they may be. I have been told at least twice in the last 6 months, "At least I can talk to you, because you're not going to judge me for this..." or something to that effect. I like to listen, I like to talk, I like to debate, but I find the above behavior is becoming the norm, of getting butt hurt, not even wanting to listen, let alone try to see things from another perspective, play the victim and disengage.

I'm just venting, I don't intend to or look for a rehash of what already occurs on the respective threads on said topics. I'm ranting on the immature behavior of someone I thought of as a friend and smart enough to see past the bullshit.

Last edited:
Back