Ranking the Maiden show openers

PieceofMind89

Educated Fool
1. Caught Somewhere in Time(Blade Runner intro)
2. Aces High(Churchill Speech)
3. Moonchild
4. Where Eagles Dare
5. The Ides of March/Wrathchild
6. The Ides of March/Murders in the Rue Morgue
7. If Eternity Should Fail
8. Be Quick or be Dead
9. The Wicker Man
10. Futureal
11. Different World
12. Sanctuary
13. Satellite 15...The Final Frontier

1. Caught Somewhere in Time (Blade Runner intro)
2. Moonchild
3. The Wicker Man
4. Where Eagles Dare
5. Aces High (Churchill Speech)
6. Futureal
7. Satellite 15...The Final Frontier.
8. Different World
9. If Eternity Should Fail
10. The Ides of March/Wrathchild
11. The Ides of March/Murders in the Rue Morgue
12. Sanctuary
13. Be Quick or be Dead

1. Aces High (Churchill Speech)
2. Be Quick or be Dead
3. Futureal
4. If Eternity Should Fail
5. Caught Somewhere in Time
6. Moonchild
7. Where Eagles Dare
8. The Wicker Man
9. The Ides of March/Wrathchild

1. Caught Somewhere in Time(Blade Runner intro)
2. Aces High(Churchill Speech)
3. Moonchild
4. Where Eagles Dare
5. The Ides of March/Wrathchild
6. The Ides of March/Murders in the Rue Morgue
7. If Eternity Should Fail
8. Be Quick or be Dead
9. The Wicker Man
10. Futureal
11. Different World
12. Sanctuary
13. Satellite 15...The Final Frontier

What about Tailgunner, Man of the Edge, The Number of the Beast, Wildest Dreams or Senjutsu?

Definitely some recency bias here. :D

If you're rating the songs based on how they work as openers, it's hard to top The Wicker Man or Aces High, I'm also pretty partial to IESF and Moonchild as openers.

Openers I love:
Caught Somewhere in Time
Senjutsu
Moonchild
Aces High
Be quick or you can also be dead

Caught Somewhere in Time is the best and Senjutsu is the worst, the rest is pretty difficult. Aces High is certainly up there too.

The best show openers for me are: Aces High and The Wicker Man.

The really effective ones are: If Eternity Should Fail, Moonchild, Futureal, Be Quick Or Be Dead, Caught Somewhere In Time, Where Eagles Dare, Wildest Dreams and Man On The Edge. Fast songs with singalong choruses and great instrumental sections.

Next I'd add: The Final Frontier, Murders In The Rue Morgue, Tailgunner, Different World and Senjutsu. Cool openers too, but they lack something to be in the upper category.

The Number Of The Beast and Wrathchild (or Sanctuary) are odd openers for me.

It has to be Aces High in the number 1 spot for me. There’s nothing like the roar of 20,000 singing along with ‘Run, live to fly!’

I don’t think I could rank the rest. They have all worked well for their respective tours. Even Satellite 15… The Final Frontier was a cool live song. It felt like they were saying ‘Welcome to the Final Frontier tour!’

1. Caught somewhere in time: the amazing Blade Runner Theme that blends in so naturally with the CSIT intro, the futuristic stage design that goes with it, can't get any better than this
2. Aces high: a very close second, let's say I prefer the Blade runner theme to Churchill's speech
3. The Wicker man: a simple riff but so powerful, an anthemic chorus, just great and the final part of the song juste there to make sure we'll sing along!
4. Be quick or be dead: One of Maiden fastest songs, it's just pure and raw energy
5. Moonchild: the acoustic intro, then the synth melody, drums coming in, tension rising and then bang, here they are
6. If eternity should fail: More of a mid-tempo song but the a cappella intro is just wonderful and the perfect "speech" for the song to start
7. Where eagles dare: the music of the intro is great and then it goes directly to the drum intro which is a great one, perfect as well
8. Futureal: short, simple but effective
9. Man on the edge: be quick or be dead part 2, just not as great but still a very good opener
10. Tailgunner: Not bad at all and I like the music of the intro as well, its just that something's missing
11. Senjutsu: I think this is a very good song but as an opener...not really
12. Different world: probably the song I like the least from this great album, always found it kinda lacks some real energy
13. Satellite 15...the final frontier: the Satellite part is weird but fun but then its just a very basic mid tempo song...ok the chorus is not that bad but there's really something missing here
14. Wildest dreams: fun song but not really a great opener, more of a middle of the set song (like it was on the GMED tour)
15. The number of the beast: as much as I love this song, as a 1st song of the encore its fine but as an opener...really not
16. Murders in the rue morgue: Never been a fan of the Killers album and even if I must say this is one of the few songs in there that I like (specially the intro which is great), it's so repetitive that yeah it might be fast but I just get bored with it
17. Sanctuary/Wrathchild: Not really what I would call openers and although I love Wrathchild, its more of a second or third song in a setlist

Back