Radically different songs by the same artist

MrKnickerbocker

clap hands
What are the best examples of artists progressing so far in terms of sound and songwriting that they are almost not recognizable? Pick two songs by the same artist that sound like two different artists completely (if you played them for someone who has never heard said artist before). Album tracks only, original songs only.

I’m not looking for a list thread or a “lame, sellouts!” thread, I’m genuinely curious to hear some differences in bands in which everyone might not be familiar.

My example will be an obvious one:

I don't think Maiden belongs here. Sure their style has evolved over the years, but it is all based on a formula established in the early years.

Radiohead from OK Computer to Kid A is a pretty big one. Ulver is a good one. Opeth with Orchid compared to Heritage is pretty striking.

I don't think Maiden belongs here. Sure their style has evolved over the years, but it is all based on a formula established in the early years.

Agreed, I was going to compare Charlotte to something, but realised the midsection breakdown could easily feature on a track on a future album.

I think it would make sense to compare their first album track (Prowler) to their most recent (Empire Of The Clouds). They're radically different songs. When you go through their discography you see an obvious evolution, but out of context for a new person, it'll sound like a completely different band.

Quite the change, alright.
Perverse is actually a great album — it really hit an industrial sweet spot in between NIN and Depeche Mode, but it was totally overlooked because it was a major departure from what had made them famous. “Idiot Stare” in particular is fantastic, and “Zeroes And Ones” is great, but really the whole album stands up well.

Not necessarily a popular opinion, but the qualitative leap as regards writing Queensrÿche's The Warning and Promised Land or Hear In The Now Frontier has always impressed me.
(The latter is very underrated in my opinion)

Last edited:
Back