Purgatory

How good is Purgatory on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
I struggle to see how people think this is a classic. It’s played so fast that any dynamics are destroyed, Paul sounds pretty meh (and bad on the high notes), the chorus sucks, and the only great part of the song, the solo, doesn’t even repeat the second time. Yeah, took the song and repeated it a second time while cutting out the best part. Poor. 4/10

I absolutely adore this song. Funnily enough not so much the original Maiden version, but the cover version by Steel Prophet (that I mentioned in the Ides Of March thread as well) which is the definitive version for me. It's fast, it's melodic and easily one of the best tracks of the early Maiden era. Listening to a live version with Bruce from 81 and the breakneck pace they chose completely ruins the vibe of the song. I don't mind them going faster live, in fact I prefer it for many of the songs, but on this one I'm reminded of Adrian's objections to playing too fast live.
The cover would get a 9, the original gets an 8 tying with the title track and the two instrumentals.

I struggle to see how people think this is a classic. It’s played so fast that any dynamics are destroyed, Paul sounds pretty meh (and bad on the high notes), the chorus sucks, and the only great part of the song, the solo, doesn’t even repeat the second time. Yeah, took the song and repeated it a second time while cutting out the best part. Poor. 4/10
The speed isn't off-putting for the people who like it. I have zero issue keeping up with and enjoying the dynamics of the song. The chorus is beautiful and evocative, I love Paul's voice on the track, and the lack of solo the second time around makes the chorus more striking. I enjoy the things you don't so it's just a matter of differing opinions.

Back