Public Enema Number One

How good is Public Enema Number One on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Public Enema Number One' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

Re: 'Public Enema Number One'

One of the better songs on the album with some very nice vocal harmonies, which is quite exceptional for Maiden.

Fates Warning, is without doubt, one of the greatest Maiden songs of all time for me....

But Public Enema is an underatted gem. It has so much energy and it a great driving anthem. Its a raw metal mascarade with early-days style soloing. How can you not love it?

4.5 on the Igniter Scale

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Public Enema Number One

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

It's never a good sign when I have to actually pull up NPFTD and listen to the song to remember what one it is.
Anyway.

I actually don't mind the lyrics on this one, but it feels "raw" in a way we haven't heard with Killers. This is one of the reasons I'm not the biggest fan of this album. I can imagine what this song would sound like on PoM or Seventh Son, and I am of the opinion that it would sound great there.

The chorus is catchy as hell, though. So…I was going to give it a 5, but I am going to poke it up to a 6.

This is my favorite song on the album. To my ears it just works; it's relentless, heavy as hell, Bruce's screaming and growling lyrics sound better than anything else he does on this album. The message of the song fits perfectly with the chaotic instrumentation. 9/10.

8/10. Very good song - well worth an 8.

What an energetic and heavy song, containing some of the best couplets in the catalogue.
Janick and Dave play different and energizing rhythm guitar parts (rather rare for Maiden).

Bruce is on all cylinders, his voice cuts through flesh and bones, especially in these couplets.
People who dislike Bruce's rough vocals in this period should seriously listen to this track and try to imagine how it would sound with clean vocals. Opinions differ but when I listen to the music (rough as f**k), his voice fits perfect. He spits the words, you can really feel it!

..fast approaching, guns and riots!  ...riots!  ...riots!

A well deserved 9.

8 and a good rocker song.  Bruce's harsher vocals really work on this song as it sounds like he's downright angry in parts of it.

Structurally, it's quite similar to Evil That Men Do, but is a highlight of the album for me as well.  Cheesy title and all.

An energetic song with catchy melodies and, like Foro said, great singing.  I don't like the chorus that much, though.  Overall, I think this song would almost deserve an 8, but like several other songs on No Prayer, it lacks the "magic" present on songs from most other Maiden albums*.  So, it gets a high 7.

*Other albums that share this quality: most of Killers, Fear of the Dark, and Dance of Death

7 out of 10... A pretty good rocker with a great solo from Dave. It's never been a particular favorite, but what a great title! I for one don't mind Bruce's vocal stylings on this album, I think it fits the songs well.

5/10 and close to a 6/10, it's not a bad rocker (same can be said for quite a bit of this album) with decent singing and pretty good melodies, but like what has been said before, it lacks the extra quality that a lot of other Maiden songs have.

Just a very average song, makes for good background music but I couldn't see myself playing air guitar to it, lol. 4/10

Other than the at-times scratchy vocals, there is nothing really “bad” about this song. Unfortunately there is nothing really “good” about it either. It’s an altogether routine, unremarkable track. Which puts it near the bottom of the Maiden catalogue. Five.
Wow. Talk about all over the board — 18 votes, and no ranking with more than four.

Re: 'Fates Warning'

Once again, just a very mediocre song with not a real lot going for it other than perhaps the solo. It's the type of song I thought might grow on me, but it never has.

I don't know how many of you still remember this, but a few years back, I had to take care of a cat as a condition to get a flat when I was living in Hamburg. One night, I came home and everything was dark, the cat rushed to the door and I accidentally stepped on its paw. The scream of the poor thing sounded much like the opening riff to this song. In other word: It's horrible, and again, we encounter the poor guitar harmonies. But the rest of the song is, fortunately, a lot better. It's quite dramatic and raw, although I don't think the instrumental section is particularly anything (not particularly good, not particularly bad). Bruce's raspy vocals contribute to the song for once, but again, the lyrics... again, Maiden make a point they've made more appealing lyrically before (Total Eclipse), even if in this case, it's not all that bad. The lyrics are OK. And I really like the chorus. All in all, 6/10.

Nice feline story Perun :ok: ...your post is a tough act to follow.  But let me say I enjoy the cat scream harmony and the guitar throughout this song, including Dave's solo which ends with a nice little bit of fingertapping.  I prefer the final chorus over the others and wish Nico didn't slow the tempo down so much during the refrain. 

I quite like the lyrics, and Bruce gives them a good impetus, but overall I find the song slightly boring. 3/10

Back