Progressive rock / metal

One thing I’ll say for those thinking about following along on this is that a major positive is it will start with some modern essential prog rock albums. The Light is often cited as the best Spock’s album, but pretty much every Morse era Spock’s album is classic.

Sorry! Too many people, in the words of McCartney. :D
No problem mate!
Lovely you quoted Paul, one of the biggest songwriters ever! :wub:
If you love The Light, you're gonna love a lot of stuff there, I promise. Anyway, you're free to join as much as you please, read the write-ups and maybe decide to check any particular album out.
I will! I just need to catch up a lot of stuff but it will be fun.

One thing I’ll say for those thinking about following along on this is that a major positive is it will start with some modern essential prog rock albums. The Light is often cited as the best Spock’s album, but pretty much every Morse era Spock’s album is classic.

Also, it's a good litmus test - if you absolutely, completely, utterly hate The Light and can't be persuaded to at least accept it, there's only a very small chance you're going to love anything else. There are differences, I can see someone preferring some of the projects, but there's not going to be an utter revolution for you.

That said, there's still Portnoy - most of the albums with him are worth at least a listen or two, even if you disliked them. Well, apart from the A Proggy Christmas and the Cover 2 Cov3r ones, I guess. :D

Also, it's a good litmus test - if you absolutely, completely, utterly hate The Light and can't be persuaded to at least accept it, there's only a very small chance you're going to love anything else. There are differences, I can see someone preferring some of the projects, but there's not going to be an utter revolution for you.

That said, there's still Portnoy - most of the albums with him are worth at least a listen or two, even if you disliked them. Well, apart from the A Proggy Christmas and the Cover 2 Cov3r ones, I guess. :D
That’s for sure. The Light is the template and there’s very little deviation from there. There’s maybe an outside chance of Transtlantic working because of the Flower Kings side, but even Roine Stolt has a similar enough style.

I will say that I’m one disc into The Great Adventure and found myself kinda surprised at how heavy some of the sections are. Eric Gillette and Portnoy definitely bring more of that metal flavor and it’s cool to hear Morse roll with it. Lyrics are pretty goofy though, even for his standards.

So, all of you other people who seem to be at least partially interested in prog rock (IIRC - I'm working purely from conjecture - this thread and what I remember of you writing across the forum) - @MrKnickerbocker @Saapanael @Detective Beauregard @KidInTheDark666 @Shmoolikipod @Diesel 11 @Lampwick 43 @terrell39 @The_7th_one @Night Prowler @Collin (tag anyone else whom I forgot) - anybody else interested in going through the MorseWorld? (Spock's Beard, Neal Morse solo and Neal Morse Band, Transatlantic (Morse, Trewavas of Marillion, Stolt of Flower Kings, Portnoy), Flying Colors (Morse, Steve Morse, Portnoy) and so on, even if only through the Portnoy connection? It'd be casual, not updated on a strict schedule, you could approach it as you wished, even as an acquaintance of sorts, I'm just wondering if I should start the thread or not.
I don't know that I could commit to that, getting even a tenth through Buckethead's discography has been more than enough work for me. I also don't think I've heard any of his stuff before, though, so if you'd like to recommend some songs and/or albums that really stick out or are otherwise important, that might be much simpler for me to get around to spinning.

Back