Primal Fear

Kalata

Out of the Silent Planet
Great band with a fantastic vocalist and classic heavy metal songs (power metal and speed metal too). There are 3 guitarists in the band now. I think their style is mix between Priest and maybe Helloween.

What you think of them? Do you like them? Favorite album?

MindRuler

Ancient Mariner
I was into them some 20 years ago in my "buy everything that smells like metal"-phase. I remember they had a strong debutalbum. Accept meets Priest. Scheepers has a powerful voice that fits the music perfectly.

I've noticed them recently getting played on Planet Rock, so think their profile in the UK must be increasing.

I have their Best of double CD from a few years ago. To be honest I preferred the CD which was covers to their original stuff, so haven't delved any further into their back catalogue.

Yax

Ancient Mariner
Primal Fear is easily in my top 15 bands. The latest album is good. The problem is, I've heard superior versions of it several albums over. :p

I really dig how they have managed to get away from the Priest "Painkiller" worshippers they came across as their first few albums. They've cemented their own sound and deliver kickass music. My only gripe is, again, that they've gone the AC/DC route where the last few sound very same-ish.

Perun

Dominus et deus
Staff member
Ralf Scheepers embodies pretty much everything I hate about power metal singers, and I could never get past his voice to appreciate whatever musical quality this band may have. Although I heard one of the recent songs a few months ago and found it surprisingly tolerable so maybe one day I'll give them another shot. Don't hold your breath, though.

Kalata

Out of the Silent Planet
...and I could never get past his voice...

That's strange.. - his voice is very similar to the voice of Rob Halford (and Ripper Owens too), so if you like Priest (no matter which era, because Rob's voice is different in the 70's, 80's and 2000's) you should also like Ralf's voice.

Perun

Dominus et deus
Staff member
What for. I just have an opinion, I don't have the desire to go through a theoretical analysis of it just because it appears inconsistent to somebody else.

MindRuler

Ancient Mariner
Although their voices do share some resemblances, I prefer Rob by far. I mean: Dreamer Deceiver, Beyond The Realms of Death... I can´t imagine Ralf would sing them like that.