Predictions on Song Writing

mozzle

Trooper
I know this is probably pointless, and perhaps a little stupid, but hey, we got nearly 3 months to kill.

Based on song titles, as well as song writing trends from the previous 3 albums, not to mention song lengths, who do you think wrote which songs?

1. Satellite 15... The Final Frontier (8:40)      Adrian/Bruce/Steve

2. El Dorado (6:46)                                    Janick/Bruce/Steve 

3. Mother of Mercy (5:20)                          Adrian/Janick/Steve

4. Coming Home (5:52)                              Dave/Steve

5. The Alchemist (4:39)                              Bruce/Steve

6. Isle of Avalon (9:06)                                Janick/Bruce/Steve 

7. Starblind (7:48)                                      Bruce/Adrian

8. The Talisman (9:03)                                Janick/Steve 

9. The Man Who Would Be King (8:38)          Bruce/Adrian/Steve

10. When The Wild Wind Blows (10:59)        Adrian/Steve 

What are your thoughts? I'm thinking no Nicko, and hardly any Dave.

More Bruce this time Around. Adrian I think will continue to contribute like he has in the last 3 albums.

Like filling a lottery ticket, but let's give it a try

1. Satellite 15... The Final Frontier (8:40)    Steve
2. El Dorado (6:46)                                  Janick/Steve/Bruce     
3. Mother of Mercy (5:20)                        Adrian/Bruce                 
4. Coming Home (5:52)                            Dave/Adrian 
5. The Alchemist (4:39)                            Steve/Janick/Nicko  :innocent:   
6. Isle of Avalon (9:06)                              Janick/Steve/Bruce
7. Starblind (7:48)                                    Steve/Dave 
8. The Talisman (9:03)                              Steve/Bruce/Adrian
9. The Man Who Would Be King (8:38)          Bruce
10. When The Wild Wind Blows (10:59)        Steve/Adrian/Bruce

1. Satellite 15... The Final Frontier (8:40)      Steve

2. El Dorado (6:46)                                    Bruce/Steve 

3. Mother of Mercy (5:20)                          Janick/Steve

4. Coming Home (5:52)                              Adrian/Steve

5. The Alchemist (4:39)                              Bruce/Adrian

6. Isle of Avalon (9:06)                                Adrian/Bruce/Steve 

7. Starblind (7:48)                                      Dave/Steve

8. The Talisman (9:03)                                Janick/Nicko/Steve 

9. The Man Who Would Be King (8:38)          Bruce/Adrian/Steve

10. When The Wild Wind Blows (10:59)        Steve 

1. Satellite 15... The Final Frontier (8:40) Harris/Gers/Dickinson
2. El Dorado (6:46) Smith/Harris/Dickinson
3. Mother of Mercy (5:20) Gers/Harris or Harris
4. Coming Home (5:52) Gers/Dickinson/Harris
5. The Alchemist (4:39) Smith/Harris/Dickinson
6. Isle of Avalon (9:06)  Smith/Harris/Dickinson
7. Starblind (7:48) Murray/Harris/Dickinson
8. The Talisman (9:03) Smith/Harris
9. The Man Who Would Be King (8:38) Gers/Harris/Dickinson or Harris
10. When The Wild Wind Blows (10:59) Harris

@Jeffmetal:
7 out of 10 times Dickinson? That would be a huge involvement of Bruce, and a record.

1. Satellite 15... The Final Frontier (8:40) Smith/Harris/Dickinson
2. El Dorado (6:46) Smith/Harris/Dickinson
3. Mother of Mercy (5:20) Smith/Harris
4. Coming Home (5:52) Gers/Harris
5. The Alchemist (4:39) Dickinson/Harris
6. Isle of Avalon (9:06)  Smith/Harris/Dickinson
7. Starblind (7:48) Murray/Harris
8. The Talisman (9:03) Harris
9. The Man Who Would Be King (8:38) Smith/Harris
10. When The Wild Wind Blows (10:59) Gers/Harris/Dickinson

I think it'll be, Foro - the themes of these titles makes me think of Bruce's metaphors and analogies with hidden meaning on things like Avalon, satellites, stars, planets connecting with the essence of what they stand for, really. Avalon for an example, although seens as a place, means the land of apples, and I very much see Bruce making an analogy with Eve's biting the apple and getting hold of knowledge and free will. It all sounds really interesting as I wasn't expecting such titles for the songs. They really sound like amazing tales, like movie stuff, evoking a lot of imagery with some fantastic music along with it all.

Actually, I would be happy to listen to a Janick/Adrian collaboration!

And Jeffmetal, I second you on your last comment - I was very surprised (for the better) with the song titles. They are so... exceptional, comparing to other Maiden songs. On the other hand, this is a new album, we will get used to these titles too.

Yes, you're right about that, Jeff. These song topics seem to have changed radically since AMOLAD.
I like that too. Enough war, for now.

Going to the Compass Point, enjoying the sight of the horiozon, the ocean, the sunny, but also windy weather, breathing such tropical air played an incredible role on the development of the songs - although written on European fall/winter - giving itself a funny, uncompromising vibe as presented on El Dorado (even a spanish title?! Are these part of the influenced of a latin environment? Who knows?). The last 3 albums were wrotten and recorded on winter and with the exception of BNW, the vibe and mood on DOD and AMOLAD is heavy, is dark, brooding, reflective and during winter, people just get more dark, dwells more on the darkeer side of things. Music of the brilliance of POM and Powerslave and the parts that were recorded there from SIT are clearly given by the evironment. AMOLAD makes much more sense now, as I see it now as the experimental stage for what we'll hear on TFF.

The only album in which the repetitions and lack of inspiration permeates and ruins 65% of the songs is A Matter Of Life And Death. Other 'recent' albums has repetitions, but the repeated parts are good enough (except on The Angel And The Gambler and The Educated Fool which should've had the chorus seriously cut off). I see already on El Dorado that they seemed to have cut off repetitions seriously - the chorus is sang only once before the instrumental break and there are only 16 bars in the instrumental bridges (2 different passages back to back!) and then go straight to the solos section with each one soloing on different keys, adding more dynamics and freshness to this part. Given all of that is visible on El Dorado and by the length of the songs on The Final Frontier, this might well be an incredible album with all the songs with everything where it belongs.

Folks, I think we'll be in for a treat with The Final Frontier.

by just looking at the titles and given the amazing link between TFF and SIT(3 initials another commonality) i can safely safely say the songwriting will be dominated by bruce or H or both.

So, if this info is correct, these are the credits:

1. Satellite 15.....The Final Frontier (Smith/Harris)*8:40
2. El Dorado (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 6:49
3. Mother Of Mercy (Smith/Harris) 5:20
4. Coming Home (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 5:52
5. The Alchemist (Gers/Harris/Dickinson) 4:29

6. Isle Of Avalon (Smith/Harris)+9:06
7. Starblind (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 7:48
8. The Talisman (Gers/Harris) 9:03
9. The Man Who Would Be King (Murray/Harris) 8:28
10. When The Wild Wind Blows (Harris) 10:59

Note 1: First let's gaze at the name Dickinson: 4 times.
4 out of 10 songs brings us back to Brave New World. Amount of Bruce contributions since 2000:
Brave New World -> 4
Dance Of Death -> 6
A Matter Of Life And Death -> 5
The Final Frontier -> 4

Note 2*: I thought I read or heard somewhere that Bruce made up the album title. If he did, then either he was inspired by the 'Arry lyric of the opening track (in case Steve wrote the lyrics to that one), either 'Arry was inspired by the album title.

Note 3: The new albums contains the most Smith/Harris duo collaborations ever: 3!

Note 4: This is the first Harris-only closing song since Fear of the Dark (1992).

Note 5+: Isle of Avalon is the longest Smith/Harris song ever and is the longest song Adrian has ever worked on!

Note 6:
The album opens with four(!) co-Smith written tracks. 4 (co-)Smith songs in a row is a record on a Maiden album.
Adrian Smith -> 4 in a row on The Final Frontier.
Janick Gers -> 3 in a row on The X-Factor & Dance of Death.
Dave Murray -> 2 in a row on No Prayer For The Dying.

I think The Man Who Would be King will definitely have a Bruce credit. To my knowledge he wrote Revelations, and I just have this feeling that there's a connection of themes between them, after hearing this verse at the end of Revelations:

"The time has come to close your eyes
And still the wind and rain
For the one who will be king
The watcher in the ring
It is you"

It's definitely a reach, but it just sounds like a song with Bruce all over it.

Indeed kind of farfetched. There is a movie called "The Man Who Would Be King" and it wouldn't be the first time Harris draws a film into his lyrics.

And this film has a direct connection with Alexander The Great. Some really strong connections with Somewhere In Time the new album has:

Wasted Years nod on the intro to El Dorado, the first song has length clocking around the same as CSIT, partially recorded where SIT was also partially recorded, the movie connection mentioned above, Smith/Harris dominated album (although separated dominion on SIT). I think The Man Who Would Be King connection with the line in Revelations does not go beyond this; before reading the possible official credits to the new songs, as soon as I read the song title, I thought it's the typical Harris long tale of life's lessons and if Murray really co-wrote, I foresee a real gem in this new album, already.

Bruce said he came up with the title for the album during the SBIT tour 2008 while visiting Texas and watching the shuttle and then daydreaming some ideas about space and aliens. He mentions it before El Dorado in Houston or San Antonio.

Satellite 15...The Final Frontier (Harris)
El Dorado (Smith-Harris-Dickinson)
Mother of Mercy (Smith-Dickinson)
Coming Home (Harris-Smith)
The Alchemist (Harris-Dickinson)
Isle of Avalon (Harris)
Starblind (Dickinson-Smith)
The Talisman (Harris-Gers)
The Man Who Would Be King (Dickinson-Harris)
When the Wild Wind Blows (Harris)

Back