Power Metal

I should contribute more to this topic. There is a couple of other Italian bands which deserve some attention.
I start with the very decent Labyrinth (previous band from guitar player Vision Divine). This is a very technical band but with high respect for melody.

Good melodic songs and such topnotch guitar solos. Seriously the best metal band from southern Europe.
The quality of the music is superb.

Return to Heaven Denied

220px-Labyrinth_return_to_heaven_denied.jpg

Sons of Thunder is really cool too.

220px-Sons_of_Thunder_%28album%29_cover.jpg

Harder though. Still awesome guitar work. You know what, I'm going to post some clips.

Labyrinth - Die For Freedom
(some of the heavy power chords remind me of the sound and style from the SSOASS title track)

Labyrinth - Return to Heaven Denied
(A meh ballad you think? Wait til the 3 minute mark of this title track hits, and wonder if we could wish for better back to back solos? No sir!)

Labyrinth - Rage of the King

Fucking hell, the amazing melodies and solos give me goosebumps instantly, after not having heard this for years..
The power of music is immense!  :shred:

Forostar said:
previous band from guitar player Vision Divine
He's back in Labyrinth, and will continue with Vision Divine also ;) Labyrinth released Return To Heaven Denied, Part 2 last year.

Re: Power Metal / one of the best power metal songs ever!!

I totally missed that. I doubt if it's as good as the old one though. I'll check that.
And this my dear Maidenfans friends...

...is the most epic and best song ever created on European soil south of the German borders. ...

Behold, the sword of power, Excalibur! Forged when the world was young and bird and beast and flower were one with man and death was but a dream..

Promise me, play it on 489p and on fucking 10....!!!

Domine - The Battle For The Great Silver Sword

[I) The Dawn Of Steel]

[instrumental]

[II) The Pipes Of War]

This is The Story for centuries untold
On a misty morning at the break of dawn
Out of the night as shadows of Doom
Black armours shine in the cold morning light

They come from the mountains, they come from the seas
They come with a purpose, a power to wield
They're ready to die on the battlefield
They're ready to die for the Sword the Gods forged long ago

A sword is laying on an altar of gold
Inside a circle of magical stones
Thousands of Warriors behold the Emperor
As he steps inside the circle offering a sacrifice

They come to kill, They come to fight
Armies are raised one against the other
Brave men are lead to death like lambs to the slaughter
All of this just for one man's greed and pride

[III) The Sacrifice Chant]

[Pre Chorus]

Oh Mighty Gods of Chaos!
Let the Power descend from the sky
Give me the Ultimate Weapon
I claim what is mine by right

I offer the Blood of the Nations
Souls as a sacrifice
We come from afar
From our City Of Light for

[Chorus]
The Battle for the Great Silver Sword

[IV) War (The Tyrant's Prayer)]

We come here from far away
From the Mountains and from the Seas
I come to fulfil my Fate
Leading men to their demise

Brother against brother
Until no one is left alive
Many souls will sleep in hell tonight
Now it's time for war!

[V) Sword Fight]

[guitar solo]

Fearless in a haze of bloodlust
Riding at breakneck speed
Armies clash one against the other
A sea of blood flooding the field

And as the thunder roars in the distance
The setting sun paints a crimson sky
And as the Tyrant raise the sword
The Silver Sword is Broken, oh no!

[VI) The Sword Is Broken]

[pre chorus]

Oh Mighty Gods of Chaos!
No Power descended from the sky
I craved for the Ultimate Weapon
I claimed what was mine by right

I offered the Blood of the Nations
Souls as a sacrifice
I came from afar
From my City Of Light to die for...

[Chorus]

[VII) The Sunset Of Steel]

*enters state of headbang fury*

Powerwolf is fantastic. Their singer is clasically trained, and one of the most powerful vocalists I ever heard. Lyrics are kinda goofy and cheesy, but the music is great. I recommend their second album, Lupus Dei :cheers:

Reactions: Jer
For excellent power metal bands, I would also throw in:

- Stormwarrior (produced by Kai Hansen, viking metal),
- Freedom Call (some Gamma Ray members - their album Eternity sounds like the album Helloween SHOULD have made after KOTSK Pt.2)
- Crom (newer stuff only)

I think bands like Sonata Arctica are more "symphonic" metal than power metal. That's why I didn't put Nightwish, Edenbridge, or While Heaven Wept on this list. But they're good stuff too.

LooseCannon said:
That Domine song was really, really great.

Glad you liked it.  :ok: I could link to some other songs later, but this was their most/best epic one I am aware of.

NightProwler666 said:
Powerwolf is fantastic. Their singer is clasically trained, and one of the most powerful vocalists I ever heard. Lyrics are kinda goofy and cheesy, but the music is great. I recommend their second album, Lupus Dei :cheers:

Not just the music, mate. They celebrate their live gigs as "masses". But I love them because they are so mercilessly cheesy and enjoy it. I mean, they have a song called Resurrection by Erection, and another one, Mother Mary is a Bird of Prey (what the hell is that supposed to mean?). A great band if you don't take things too seriously.

Reactions: Jer
Perun said:
Not just the music, mate. They celebrate their live gigs as "masses". But I love them because they are so mercilessly cheesy and enjoy it. I mean, they have a song called Resurrection by Erection, and another one, Mother Mary is a Bird of Prey (what the hell is that supposed to mean?). A great band if you don't take things too seriously.
I got their latest album recently, and have listened to it a couple of times. To be honest, the songs haven't really stuck in my mind; at least the music hasn't, the song names certainly have: Raise Your Fist, Evangelist, and Catholic In The Morning... Satanist At Night, brilliant!

My mate told me he had a seminar on werewolves last semester, and the lecturer played them Lupus Dei for an example of modern werewolf reception. Maybe I did choose the wrong subject after all. ;)

Forostar said:
Glad you liked it.  :ok: I could link to some other songs later, but this was their most/best epic one I am aware of.

It was great I'm keeping an Eye out next time I go to the record store.

Also... Nocturnal Rites is a really good band too.

Onhell said:
It was great I'm keeping an Eye out next time I go to the record store.

Also... Nocturnal Rites is a really good band too.
Oh yes, even though I haven't heard them much, they are great! Fantastic live act too. And they have a very fine vocalist.

Some really cool stuff posted in here!!!

Nocturnal Rites are pretty good too and they will be probably releasing a new album in 2011.

Nice Onhell. Here another Domine song.
Last of the Dragonlords

Nocturnal Rites: I prefer their older (cheesier) albums.

Do you guys know Dark Moor, the old line-up. I'll never forget their cover of Halloween.

There's mAgic in the air.

Own material: Dark Moor - Silver Lake
Fantastic, dynamic track and great vocal melodies with lots of passion.
That Spanish accent by Elisa Martin is actually kind a cute. Check out her first line:
"Along the river of Fannntasy..." and then the stronger "across the valley of illusion"!

I guess nobody heard of this on here...
Emir Hot is a Bosnian guitarist. He released one album called Sevdah Metal, a power metal album with some folk touches. John West (Royal Hunt) did the vocals on the album, and Mike Terrana (Rage, Masterplan, Savage Circus, Axel Rudi Pell, Yngwie Malmsteen, Tarja...) did the drums on the album. Emir also played bass on the record. It's a great album, check it out :cheers:
This is my favorite song of the album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXF9XthTlZQ :cheers:

Forostar said:
Do you guys know Dark Moor, the old line-up. I'll never forget their cover of Halloween.

I LOVE Dark Moor! Stereotypical Power metal, but GREAT stuff. I listen to them on Pandora all the time, because my local store doesn't carry them. Once I have more money I'll start ordering stuff online.

I've been listening to The 25th Hour by Vision Divine the last few days and I'm loving it.  :yey:
I should check more albums of them.

Back